Insta Trike Review
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insta Trike Review

Post Thanks / Like

Default Insta Trike Review

We picked the Bike up Saturday Morning and did 60 miles to get home..Mostly back country roads (hills and Curves) and short sections of 4 lane state highways..All I can say is I am very Impressed..it is very stable and the ride was smooth(no wooble or shaking)even over rough patches and several railroad crossings...Smooth as silk..I was totally shocked the ride was as good as it was was..I did get several double takes on the roadway and a few Thumbs up as well!!!...When we got home I took the unit off to get familiar with the mechanics of the unit...it took 5 mins to remove the unit and 5 to put it back on..This Unit is very user friendly.
    Semper Fi !!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

How was the effort to steer???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Steering

It was very easy as far as I am concerned..just a mild Push, Pull on the handle bars ..nothing harsh or difficult. Should you get a chance to try them out you should.
    Semper Fi !!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like an answer to my ? after you've taken a much longer ride, like an over-nighter somewhere.
    Thanks
    Love to try one on a Wing! Only dealer around me never has one mounted to any Wings he has. He only mounts them on customers bikes and I'm not about to ask anyone, espercially a stranger to ride their bike!

Post Thanks / Like

That is the Tow-Pac kit, correct? Or, is it the Voyager kit?

Herb
    Support our TroopERS.
    2008 Victory Vision, Super Steel Gray
    2006 Honda Reflex, Candy Blue, w/ Tow-Pac
    2005 VN2000 Kawasaki, Black (2053cc)
    2002 GL1800 Honda Goldwing w/ABS, Black
    2002 Bushtec Turbo +2 Trailer, Black

Post Thanks / Like

Default Towpac

Its a Tow-Pac Inc, I will provide more updates we are planning a smokies trip at the end of the month.
    Semper Fi !!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We had one for a couple years before we put the MotorTrike on, nothing bad to say about it. Put about 4000 miles on it. Another local fella bought it and it is still going strong.

A little harder to stear in the twisties than the trike, but not too bad, and the rear tire on the bike wore a little quicker it seemed.

Very well made we thought.

Vicki and Duane
    2001 Black Goldwing / 2008 Motortrike!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a voyager kit on my old shadow spirit and it was the worst thing I did. I could not recommend it to anyone. The ride was terrible unless u were on an absolutely smooth road.

Bob Wolfson
    Palm Coast, FL.
    2003 GW 1800 Roadsmith Trike (The Trike Shop)

Post Thanks / Like

Installed a kit about 2 weeks ago and I love it.. Due to health and medical reasons it was becoming impossible to hold the beast up and a full trike kit wasn't financially possible..

I talked to several owners and my dealer and heard wonderful things.. Talking to those who had trikes but never owned insta-trike said bad things or said it would just be a waste of money..

Having ridden both a full trike (over 2500 miles) and insta-trike (just over 500 miles) I can tell you a full trike rides better but the insta-trike is a GREAT vehicle add-on.. For the money difference and knowing everyones budget is different I would not be afraid or hesitant to recommend the insta-trike to anyone..

I had the unit dealer installed and have loved every minute of the ride.. If you are considering buying due to finance or just for safety reasons let me say that you won't regret the move.. It is also a great way to make sure you want a trike before shelling out $10k-$20k only to find out you don't want it..

The kits run $3000 - $3800 and re-sell for around $2500.. My dealer has sold and installed several kits and have upgraded several of those bikes to full kits after a year or two and helped the owner sell their used instatrike..

Overall a great add-on for someone who severely needed it and once again enjoying riding and no worries about dropping it and now having relaxed hassle free rides..

Anybody thinking about this kit and have questions feel free to drop me a pm and I will be glad to answer and help...

DB n NC
    Last edited by dbncraleigh; 09-24-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just got back from The Dragons Tail

Well we put 850 miles on the the insta trike..could not have gone smoother..Did the Dragon 2 times and we couldnt have had a better time, We met some great Goldwingers down there. Lots of MC traffic on the Skyway and the weather was terrific..All I can say is the kit did great.
    Semper Fi !!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    I am thinking about the insta-trike, so I can still be on 2 wheels when I want.
    My thought is, for example, we could use the Insta-trike, towing a trailer to get to a destination,such as the "Dragon"(Deal's Gap).
    Then, drop the trailer and the insta-trike and 2 wheel the area.

I have ridden a bike(not a Gold Wing) w/a Voyager kit, and was very disappointed. The ride was terrible and the steering was very, very hard!
    I guess I've got to try a Wing w/the Insta-trike on it.

I still wonder why I can't seem to get anyone to agree w/my idea of putting E-Z steer on and then riding wo/the Insta-trike attached.
    Everyone seems to think it would be "dangerous". However, I can't see it as any different than many of the custom bikes w/raked front ends on them.
    I've ridden several of those and the handling was fine as long as the rake was not extreem!

Post Thanks / Like

Default trike

The term "Rake" kits is really a misnomer. Steering kits aka "EZ Steer" don't modify the "rake" as is done on many custom "chopper" bikes. To modify the rake would require modifying the bike frame/steering stem to change the angle of the steering stem in relation to the original frame. Steering kits don't modify the bike frame, just use modifed triple trees to change the angle of the forks in relation to the original steering stem, thus change the "trail", not rake.
    JFWIW
    Charlie
    Charlie Sheldon
    2009 Silver DFT, 2009 Bushtec
    States where we've triked.....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaz_36 View Post
    The term "Rake" kits is really a misnomer. Steering kits aka "EZ Steer" don't modify the "rake" as is done on many custom "chopper" bikes. To modify the rake would require modifying the bike frame/steering stem to change the angle of the steering stem in relation to the original frame. Steering kits don't modify the bike frame, just use modifed triple trees to change the angle of the forks in relation to the original steering stem, thus change the "trail", not rake.
    JFWIW
    Charlie
    Thanks, I guess I knew that - but, dumb me, I still don't understand what danger that would be riding 2-wheeled.

Post Thanks / Like

Default trike

Looked for a post by William Warren on the GWRRA Trike Sig board that really gets into greater engineering detail regarding the intricacies of steering changes, couldn't find it but did find this note of his...

"Performing a modification intended for a trike that steers while sitting perpendicular to the road ... on a bike that steers by leaning and countersteering ... will result in one very dangerous ride.

A bike needs some fair amount of trail for stability, a trike likes less trail for lighter steering, though even then some trail is desireable. If adding a Voyager or other kit adding two wheels, such a rake kit should not be used ... not unless the conversion is permanent. "
    FWIW
    Charlie
    Charlie Sheldon
    2009 Silver DFT, 2009 Bushtec
    States where we've triked.....

Post Thanks / Like

edisonc250, please do not take anything that I'm going to write as being "mean spirited".. but it looks like I'm going to be the bad guys, here. This response is also not intended to be one of those “my trike is better than your trike” posts.

Your Insta-Trike apparently is just what you've been looking for but for the most part, it will not receive the appeal of the masses. Why? A large majority of conversion owners have done the two-wheeler thing and have made the financial decision to go "whole hog" into converting. We all had different reasons for the change to three wheels, but for most of us, it's a permanent reason. Physical limitations, safety, comfort, and storage space are only a few reasons that come to mind. Many newbie’s have written, “I only wish I had done this year’s ago”. I have yet to read a post where someone declared that they were going back. We don't want to go back. We don't want to switch back from the three wheeler to the two. Several of our members, who are inclined, have two wheelers on the side to help scratch that itch.

There are several reasons why most of us went to full blown conversions and not a want-a-be add on. Looks: The Insta-Trike appears to be a bike with 8 or 12 inch training wheels. Safety: You're adding extra weight to your Wing but you haven't increased your brake package. You're still using the supplied Honda front and rear system. The full trike conversion adds two full size rotor/caliper components. Suspension: Again, you've added extra weight but the independent torsion axles which can be independently adjusted add absolutely NO smoothness to the ride. Now there are guys on our Board who are tough and can take a tough ride but what they can't take is the constant snipping from the SO about the rough ride. Ride control: The Insta-trike doesn't come even close to a low end straight axle set-up and is nowhere close to even a low-end IRS conversion. Space: Can you pick the 170 lbs up and hang it on your wall? If you can't, then when you don't have it hooked up, you've got to have empty space on the floor, correct? Stuff Storage: Inst-Kit doesn't provide any extra storage for "stuff", and when used with a Wing, the side boxes don't open fully. As you get older, you acquire more stuff. Stuff has to be stored.

If you've gotten onto any of the top eight conversion kits, you surely know that your Insta-Kit is far inferior. There will be a day when you will see the difference and pay the piper, just as we have.

In closing, the Insta-Kit is not a trike conversion but a training wheel kit for future trikers. The above is only an opinion, delivered with no malice. If I'm wrong, we'll see more of the units on the road. If I'm right, well, I’m right.

Ride safe.

Wayne
    Wayne Sawyer
    Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
    Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
    U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
    '08 GL Hannigan

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
    Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13

Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree and see your points

Wayne, You arnt a bad guy for giving your opinion and experience..And I do agree!!..We plan on a full Conversion in a year or 2, we couldnt swing it now and we didnt want to wait..Being the bike only has 3k miles on it, it will still be a good move by then..the Insta is what it is..but it is doing for us what we need at the moment..We had a great trip and got to meet and talk with several real 1800 trike owners(all very gracious and nice).
    Thanks!!!
    Semper Fi !!

Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago a friend had a Voyager kit installed in Reno. He did not get 100 miles on it before not making it around a turn. Ran it off the road into a large boulder that put a hole in the case and totalled the bike. Being similar to a trike you can't think it around a turn, you have to turn the bars.
    Burn out don't rust out
    2002GL1800 Hers
    2007GL1800 ABS CSC trike His
    Bushtec (kitchen) Kwick Kamp (Bedroom)
    Ironbutt Assoc.
    Old coots on scoots
    Operate your helmet holders via your bikes remote. pm or email for details.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turns

Yep..You gotta turns the Bars...Did the Dragon twice with out a problem..you do need some muscle..but not too much...just a bit stiffer than the other Trikes i have driven.
    Semper Fi !!

Post Thanks / Like

I Have a Two-Pac (Insta-Trike) kit that I installed myself on my brand new 2009 last April. Just over 3k miles now. Cost of the kit delivered to
    the freight company was $3900 and I drove down and put the kit in my Volvo Wagen. (disassembled the kit from the pallet).
    1) I wanted a Roadsmith but could not afford it this year. Maybe not even next year.
    2) If anything happend to the Bike that requires warranty (like the transmission problem I have been reading about). I can get the bike to the dealer and remove the kit and Mother Honda will cover the warranty.
    3) Yes it looks like training wheels, but it doesn't fall over.
    4) Yes, it does not add any extra space and limits the side bag opening.
    5) I tried it with stock steering and for me it was terrible. 4 bad disks in my neck with pinched nerves going to my arms. Added a 5.5 degree Roadsmith Rake kit and MBL bar adapters. Now the handling is really super.
    6) Yes, it is not for everyone, but it is for some of us the best deal around.
    Robert Dudley
    SGM, USAR Retired
    2009 GL1800 w/DFT Trike Kit

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have never rode an Insta trike bike but all I can say if it works for your needs,

ENJOY THE RIDE AND I WILL STILL WAVE AT YOU ON THE ROAD !!!!!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey!!! Me Too!!!!!!!!!
    Have Fun!!!!
    That is what it is all about!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tow Pac Added to 01 Gold Wing

Age right at 70 experience been riding from way back when I was in law enforcement and we had tank shift and suicide clutch. Have had one Harley, One Yamaha RSV now this is the fourth Gold Wing. Had two that were trikes and now the 01 with a Tow Pack addition. Maybe it is the way it was installed or the after market seat or just plain a good ride but this Gold Wing with Tow Pac is the best riding and handling bike I have had. When I had the last 05 GW triked always had a little vibration in handle bars no matter what I did to correct it. We ride two up 99% of the time and I had to make change from my Yamaha RSV to GW Tow Pac due to knees and just age as we do not have the leg strength that we use to have so safety important. I was worried from all I had heard about steering and even the ride this one has the 12 inch wheels and like I said who ever set it up did it right as this bike turns smooth and on curves very nice I think better than my last trike. Have not been able to contact the original owner to see if he put any kind of extra rake of what to front can not tell it sure does not look like it from the clearance between the front fender and front of the bike behind the wheel but wow what a great ride this is. Just had to put my take on Tow Pac in this and I talked to an older guy than me Sunday and he had a 1500 with Tow Pack from 30,000 miles to well over 100,000 miles and he said it has always been a great ride. Maybe this will help some that are looking at different ideas. Oh by the way the bag on side of 01 opens all the way not sure where some say they do not but they do on mine. Storage is fine for fairly long trips my wife and I have found out easier to stop and wash when at motels than to lug all that stuff around. I do have a trailer that came with this bike but doubt will use it unless we go way West then we might. Home base Alabama Lake Martin. Good riding to all and safe riding most of all.

Contributing Member Longbow Larry's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're gonna get a training wheel trike thingy, the Tow Pac Insta-trike is the one to get. Voyager is garbage, and dangerous imo. Trigg is ok. Richland Roadster looks like your partially blind neighbor welded it together in the barn in his spare time. But my opinion, save your $ and get a real conversion. The training wheel things dont add value to your bike, and youre lucky to get 1/4th of what you paid for it back if you try to remove it and sell. To each their own though, if you love it more power to ya cuz thats all that matters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow Larry View Post
    If you're gonna get a training wheel trike thingy, the Tow Pac Insta-trike is the one to get. Voyager is garbage, and dangerous imo. Trigg is ok. Richland Roadster looks like your partially blind neighbor welded it together in the barn in his spare time. But my opinion, save your $ and get a real conversion. The training wheel things dont add value to your bike, and youre lucky to get 1/4th of what you paid for it back if you try to remove it and sell. To each their own though, if you love it more power to ya cuz thats all that matters.
    Did you know that the Tow-Pac InstaTrike hooks to the GL's bag bars? These are the bars that you could easily bend, compress or break with standard pliers. Some companies including Tow-Pac & Richland have a tendency to attach their units to weaker areas than are clearly available.

Voyager posted about this: http://www.mtcvoyager.com/motorcycle...ew-comparison/

The Trigg Trike attaches properly but does not have a proper preload to help push through turns. I've ridden a GL1800 with a Trigg and it was loose, a lean similar to a boat. Difficult to go around tight curves and turns.

The Voyager trike kit is the only convertible trike kit company that actually spent time and money having the kit and it's attachment points tested for strain and stress by an independent engineering firm. The frame has the ability withstand 1,000,000 miles of normal riding. Plus, the Voyager has a proper preload. This is the most important force for the ride of a convertible, outrigger trike kit.

So why would you say the Voyager is dangerous? I've never had any problems riding the Voyager with the GL1800 and I've put on over 3,000 miles so far on it. I know not a crazy amount, but enough to know it's good to go. Do your research on these kits, I did mine.

Contributing Member Longbow Larry's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by besttrikekit View Post
    Did you know that the Tow-Pac InstaTrike hooks to the GL's bag bars? These are the bars that you could easily bend, compress or break with standard pliers. Some companies including Tow-Pac & Richland have a tendency to attach their units to weaker areas than are clearly available.

Voyager posted about this: http://www.mtcvoyager.com/motorcycle...ew-comparison/

The Trigg Trike attaches properly but does not have a proper preload to help push through turns. I've ridden a GL1800 with a Trigg and it was loose, a lean similar to a boat. Difficult to go around tight curves and turns.

The Voyager trike kit is the only convertible trike kit company that actually spent time and money having the kit and it's attachment points tested for strain and stress by an independent engineering firm. The frame has the ability withstand 1,000,000 miles of normal riding. Plus, the Voyager has a proper preload. This is the most important force for the ride of a convertible, outrigger trike kit.

So why would you say the Voyager is dangerous? I've never had any problems riding the Voyager with the GL1800 and I've put on over 3,000 miles so far on it. I know not a crazy amount, but enough to know it's good to go. Do your research on these kits, I did mine.
    'Best trike kit'....haha. Sounds like you work for Voyager, or got roped into buying one. I'd expect you to defend the product especially if you did research and still chose it. If you like it then good for you that is all that matters at the end of the day. More power to ya for liking whatcha got. My opinion shouldn't chafe you none unless of course I hit the nail and you do work for them.

We all have opinions on here, much like we all have that hole between our cheeks. My opinion comes from research and personal experience. I have ridden several and watched dozens of other people ride the things, and talked to lotsa trike owners and dealers. Know many folks that have bought one and then tried to get rid of it almost immediately. They can't take a corner worth a darn, inside wheel comes off the ground so much I can't believe nobody aint rolled one over and killed themselves yet. At least not that I know of. God forbid you have to make an evasive maneuver with any kind of speed, you'd be done for. Besides, when they're sitting still I can push on the bike and rock them back and forth so bad you'd think there was an earthquake in the Hooters parking lot, and I'm just a little old guy. Sure their frame may be tested for strength, but that aint the problem, it's design and the finished product goin down the road. They sure are good at marketing though. When they are tryin to compare themselves to a real trike, I just laugh. Again, my opinion, and I hate seeing folks spend money on them and end up feeling regret. If you don't feel that way then good for you friend don't let me slow you down.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya'll do realize this is a FIVE YEAR OLD thread, eh?
    06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300

'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic -SOLD. No more v-twins.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the tow pak or whatever is an economical way to get into triking. If it's what you can afford, go for it for sure. Here are some of my real life experiences with a tow pak. My wife has a 86 1500 and now has about 30k or so on her kit. It is an older one with the small wheels. We purchased it and bike at the same time. The main issue I have is that it attaches to the bag crash bars and the bag support frame, like a trailer hitch. The bag frame is also what your mufflers tie to. This frame was not designed to have the side torque applied to it that the tow pack exerts, and the bag bars are tied to spots on the frame that are sheet metal. The alignment is EXTREMELY critical both for handling and tire wear. Tuff to get it dead on. Wheel bearings need to be packed RELIGIOUSLY...letting this go can result in a siezed or burnt up wheel bearing. They are NOT sealed units.I carry spare bearings and seals when we travel....Also tire condition and pressure needs checked constantly. I can't imagine what having a flat or blow out on a side tire would be like, and don't even want to think about it. I have experienced all sorts of broken bolts, loosening bolts, and clamps. Replaced everything with grade 8 bolts, but still have problems. If you hit a bump or chuck hole pretty good with the side wheels, chances are something has bent, broken, or moved. The bolts that hold the bag bars to the bike frame need checked for tightening all the time. If you can put your foot on the trailer hitch and push hard side to side and hear squeaking, something is not tight. FIND IT RIGHT AWAY. Letting it go can result in broken bolts or frame mount point damage to the GW. Carry plenty of spare bolts. The wheels, being so far away from the centerline of the bike, exert and unbelievable amount of "twist" on the frame and mounting points. I believe the thing is OK, stable, and safe, but requires constant checking and maintenance. It's not as tuff and reliable as the wing itself. Good luck on whatever you choose............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhgoldwing View Post
    Ya'll do realize this is a FIVE YEAR OLD thread, eh?

yeah, but some things never change

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.