The 2014 Goldwing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

Default The 2014 Goldwing

Although Honda has been developing the next generation Goldwing since before the 2001 was introduced the corporate reaction to "new threats" to their market dominance should impact the final product (a little). If the 2014 development is anything like the GL1800 development the motorcycle is already pretty much set. I think the "2012" has just enough new trinkets to get by till the next generation Wing.

Like the CB750K and the GL1800(A) the "Next Big Thing" should be extraordinarily interesting, to say the least. The new BMW 1600 is a great bike no doubt, but I think its effect on the development of the new Goldwing will be about as much as adding a deck chair to the Titanic.

There will be a number of unique engineering features, along with new fluff stuff. The new electronics should be groundbreaking. But the engine will be the big star.

I would not be even mildly surprised if we see a 2000cc flat 8 (250 cc per cylinder like the 1500) or a 2400 cc engine (300 cc per cylinder like the 1200 and 1800). After all, that old six cylinder has been around since 1988. Six cylinders, whether opposed flat or in line have been around a looooong time, no matter how you feed them or let them breathe. Now 8 cylinders is a different deal altogether. I wouldn't put it past those engineers at Honda.

I wouldn't be surprised but I sure would like it, a lot! I think Honda will keep on singing that old Rodger Miller song. What was the name of that old tune again?
    We wish our troops success and a safe return.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow10 View Post
    I think Honda will keep on singing that old Rodger Miller song. What was the name of that old tune again?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_vuPq0VslU[/ame]
    19?? Honda Mini Trail 50
    19?? Honda XL 70
    1975 Honda CB 125
    1980 Honda CB 650 Custom
    1981 Honda CX 500
    1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
    1993 Harley FLHS
    2002 Harley Ultra Classic
    2010 Harley Ultra Classic
    2012 Level 1 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

My wishlist, currently...

(In no particular order)

Electric windshield
    Top loading bags
    6th gear (real overdrive, if I could pass gas in 6th it doesn't qualify)
    Refrigerated/heated Cup holder (I'm working on the design, but it's too big right now)
    Voice activated GPS (mainly I want ot be able to check for gas stations, resturants, motels, etc on route)
    Bluetooth integration for headsets, cellphone, etc...
    Adjustable seat hight
    Brighter GPS screen (would settle for non-glare or better shelf over it)
    Bigger trunk (It should hold two full face helmets)
    Aux input for GPS screen (Want to mount FLIR on faring, but there are an infinite number of uses)
    Distance to empty gauge
    Third trip meter
    More complete information available on GPS (avg mph, distance from start, distance as crow flies, bearing to destination or origin, altitude, rate of climb. It would be nice if it could all be offloaded to a flash drive with engine data, too.)
    Wider base on kick stand with a few degrees more lean
    Voltage meter
    Outlet in the trunk

What follows is just crazy talk...

Optional turbo.
    Ground lighting to help find a decent place to park or find that damn screw you just dropped.
    Onstar like system for emergency rescue.
    FRS integration instead of the ancient CB radio.
    If you have to ask, yes I can explain it...

It's cheaper than therapy, less time consuming than homicide.

DDS 997

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default anytime

About 1/2 of your list is GPS related. It could all be solved with a gps mounting station that would accept the latest and greatest gps that suits your individual needs. Could be designed and added mid-model year. No waiting.

Richard
    DS#809

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Clem View Post
    About 1/2 of your list is GPS related. It could all be solved with a gps mounting station that would accept the latest and greatest gps that suits your individual needs. Could be designed and added mid-model year. No waiting.

Richard
    Yes, but I don't want to mess around with taking it off and putting it back on all the time.

My brother has lost a couple GPS's because he didn't put it in the trunk when stopping.

Honestly, except forthe bigger tupperware, top loading bags, and 6th gear, it could all be done right now, and about half of the non-gps stuff I've either done myself or am working on.

I'm tryign to get a peltier system to regulate cooling for a cup holder, I want ice in my water, not water in my ice.
    If you have to ask, yes I can explain it...

It's cheaper than therapy, less time consuming than homicide.

DDS 997

Post Thanks / Like

Although Honda has been developing the next generation Goldwing since before the 2001 was introduced the corporate reaction to "new threats" to their market dominance should impact the final product (a little). If the 2014 development is anything like the GL1800 development the motorcycle is already pretty much set. I think the "2012" has just enough new trinkets to get by till the next generation Wing.

Like the CB750K and the GL1800(A) the "Next Big Thing" should be extraordinarily interesting, to say the least. The new BMW 1600 is a great bike no doubt, but I think its effect on the development of the new Goldwing will be about as much as adding a deck chair to the Titanic.

There will be a number of unique engineering features, along with new fluff stuff. The new electronics should be groundbreaking. But the engine will be the big star.

I would not be even mildly surprised if we see a 2000cc flat 8 (250 cc per cylinder like the 1500) or a 2400 cc engine (300 cc per cylinder like the 1200 and 1800). After all, that old six cylinder has been around since 1988. Six cylinders, whether opposed flat or in line have been around a looooong time, no matter how you feed them or let them breathe. Now 8 cylinders is a different deal altogether. I wouldn't put it past those engineers at Honda.

I wouldn't be surprised but I sure would like it, a lot! I think Honda will keep on singing that old Rodger Miller song. What was the name of that old tune again?
    Agree, much like the 1200 was a change like the 2012

Post Thanks / Like

BMXDad,

YES! That might be the song but I think the song had more about renting trailers than fried chicken.

Post Thanks / Like

Time will tell!
    Nokian WR D3 R/F
    Vredestein Quatrac 3 REAR 195 55 16 R/F
    Bridgestone G 709 Front
    December 27, 2010 - 102 posts
    JPINPA my friend forever

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Although Honda has been developing the next generation Goldwing since before the 2001 was introduced the corporate reaction to "new threats" to their market dominance should impact the final product (a little).
    They have? That's great!!!

Please post your source so I can read more about it?

'06 GL1800 Dark Red Premium Audio
    42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W

Post Thanks / Like

BMXDad,

YES! That might be the song but I think the song had more about renting trailers than fried chicken.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOkc6aEfkM[/ame]
    Nokian WR D3 R/F
    Vredestein Quatrac 3 REAR 195 55 16 R/F
    Bridgestone G 709 Front
    December 27, 2010 - 102 posts
    JPINPA my friend forever

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2014

Here we go....
    Murf

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My old Civic si had more horsepower than the GL1800 flat 6 and got 34 mpg. I would prefer a smaller or same size engine with 4 valve heads, hydraulic lifters, and even cylinder deactivation at cruse(like accord V6) to boost efficiency (mileage). Gas is not going to get cheaper. Electronics should go to CAN-Bus system to simplify that maze of wires under the "tupperware", and lets get some real suspension on this thing.
    Joe
    06 GL1800
    07 BMW R1200 GSAdv

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstancampiano View Post
    My old Civic si had more horsepower than the GL1800 flat 6 and got 34 mpg. I would prefer a smaller or same size engine with 4 valve heads, hydraulic lifters, and even cylinder deactivation at cruse(like accord V6) to boost efficiency (mileage). Gas is not going to get cheaper. Electronics should go to CAN-Bus system to simplify that maze of wires under the "tupperware", and lets get some real suspension on this thing.
    With the exception of the cylinder deactivation, BMW has just built a bike for you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ewing View Post
    With the exception of the cylinder deactivation, BMW has just built a bike for you!!!
    It almost sounds as tho you are saying "if you want a Honda M/C with a modern powerplant, you're out of luck".

Personally I think the 2012 Wing was/is a stop gap to fill in between the 2001-2010 incarnation, and something new. Sort of like Windows Millenium
    19?? Honda Mini Trail 50
    19?? Honda XL 70
    1975 Honda CB 125
    1980 Honda CB 650 Custom
    1981 Honda CX 500
    1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
    1993 Harley FLHS
    2012 Level 1 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joe,

You clever fellow. You caught me! No, I am not employed in Honda's R&D department but did read this:

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/history-gl1800.htm

which I think was gleaned from American Honda. (But it could be an elaborate hoax).

I am sure you are also clever enough to understand these Honda "magicians" don't just wake up one morning, say "Hocus Pocus" and a new motorcycle pops out of the hat.

When a design, engineering and production team conclude a project like the GL1800 they don't just go away until the next Goldwing is introduced. These guys ain't subcontractors. It takes a bit of work to be #1, King of the Hill, King of the Road and all around best.

I am not trying to belittle BMW in yet another attempt to catch up. As I pointed out in another thread, albeit in different words, I think BMW is tired of being the dog chasing the mechanical rabbit it will never catch. They seem to be aiming at a very small section of the market for their new bike because they will never be Hertz. Avis ain't bad though.

I was interested in reading Fred's 1600 ride report. I may be way off and I do NOT want to misrepresent his excellent post but I was left with the conclusion the 1600 ain't no Goldwing and it ain't no great true sport tourer either. Kind of almost half this and almost half that.

You don't have on on order do you?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMXDad View Post
    It almost sounds as tho you are saying "if you want a Honda M/C with a modern powerplant, you're out of luck".

Personally I think the 2012 Wing was/is a stop gap to fill in between the 2001-2010 incarnation, and something new. Sort of like Windows Millenium
    Nope, I was saying nothing of the sort. They have modern powerplants on many of their bikes not named GoldWing.

I also doubt that Honda will go high tech with a new Wing engine, should one ever be offered. In many ways, the low tech - displacement above all else - design of the current bike that allows them to go 200k miles and more. They are unstressed.

I am not a fan of the 2012 Wing. They would have been better off not changing anything instead of doing things half way (like changing the side bags, and not the top trunk).

But comparing anything to Windows ME is just a low blow. Why not just call it Vista and really hurt it's feelings?

Post Thanks / Like

How much will ya'll whine, when the next redesigned new Goldwings, have a smaller engine??

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have on on order do you?
    Nope. I will ride my 2006 for another 10 years. Love it.

But...

1. I don't know when Honda started designing a new Wing (or even if that process has happened). Hence, I would not in print when that started.

2. Honda is pretty darned good at keeping secrets. For example, no one saw the half baked makeover of a 2012 model coming.

3. I don't have a dog in the fight and don't feel the need to belittle the other guys's bike to make mine look better. The K1600GTL seems like a fine bike from what I have read, but won't publically comment until I ACTUALLY RIDE ONE. Your mileage appears to vary.

Seem reasonable?
    Last edited by Joe Ewing; 05-10-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Here we go....

"Hey Mikey, I think he likes it!"
    2008 Goldwing aka 'Rosey'

Double Darksider #857
    Kumho Run Flat - Bridgestone BattleAx
    Florida Prowler #123 GiteeupGo!

USN 1972 -1995 From Viet Nam to Desert Storm and Every Shooting Match in Between

Gun Control: The idea that a woman raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is somehow morally superior to the woman explaining to the police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Joe Ewing;3304600]Nope, I was saying nothing of the sort. They have modern powerplants on many of their bikes not named GoldWing.

I also doubt that Honda will go high tech with a new Wing engine, should one ever be offered. In many ways, the low tech - displacement above all else - design of the current bike that allows them to go 200k miles and more. They are unstressed.

I am not a fan of the 2012 Wing. They would have been better off not changing anything instead of doing things half way (like changing the side bags, and not the top trunk).

But comparing anything to Windows ME is just a low blow. Why not just call it Vista and really hurt it's feelings?[/QUOTE]

I know alot of folks on here despise the design changes on the 2012 Wing. Personally, I think it was good start...but they dropped the ball by not redesigning the tourpack to match the new saddlebags.
    19?? Honda Mini Trail 50
    19?? Honda XL 70
    1975 Honda CB 125
    1980 Honda CB 650 Custom
    1981 Honda CX 500
    1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
    1993 Harley FLHS
    2012 Level 1 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

At my age, my 2005 will probably do me for the duration.

At my current rare of mileage I got better than 10 years before I hit the 100K mark.

Good to think I don't have to go into debt for a new bike, or Car, or House, in the near future.

Of course if I hit the winning Lottery # that could all change. I would give a whole new meaning to "Lazy White Trash"

2005 GL1800
    Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.
    USMC 1962-1966

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMXDad View Post
    I know alot of folks on here despise the design changes on the 2012 Wing. Personally, I think it was good start...but they dropped the ball by not redesigning the tourpack to match the new saddlebags.
    EXACTLY!!!

How hard would that have been?

The taillilghts top and bottom don't even match. Why not just leave it alone if you are going to do a half azz job?

Post Thanks / Like

When a design, engineering and production team conclude a project like the GL1800 they don't just go away until the next Goldwing is introduced. These guys ain't subcontractors. It takes a bit of work to be #1, King of the Hill, King of the Road and all around best.
    If they have really been working on a new or improved Goldwing since 2001, then they should be fired for incompetence. 11 years to come up with the changes they have made for 2012? Those are changes that should have been made at about the four year mark.

Kawasaki made more changes/improvements to the 2010 Concours that was only two years old than Honda made to the GL1800 in eleven years. THAT is how you stay on top of your market, not by acting like you have no competition.
    Last edited by jjsC6; 05-10-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    Jim

No longer Goldwing owner, but still like this forum
    ----------------------
    2013 BMW 1600GT
    2012 Ducati Panigale ABS
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

You may wish to read the prior link I posted because it may give you (as it did me) a little insight into how much time and effort goes into bringing a complex motorcycle to the market place. Here is another fascinating story that traces the development of the 1800. I had read about Masanori Aoki before. I think it would interest you and a lot of other enthusiast:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/es...con/index.html

And I did say in my initial post:

"The new BMW 1600 is a great bike no doubt, but I think its effect on the development of the new Goldwing will be about as much as adding a deck chair to the Titanic."

Again, as I have said before, the 1600 is a good bike, if it is what you are looking for. But it, in my opinion, is no match for a Goldwing manufactured with 12 to 15 year old technology and it is, from what I have read, no match for a real sport tourer.

But I am just giving you my opinion, which is not even close or as professional , in terms of motorcycle technology and experience as Fred's. If you have some more thoughts that you think will benefit this discussion I and everyone else will appreciate thoughtful discourse.

And, as you can see, this thread has already attracted several "multi, multi posters" that have no interest in and lack the expertise to post anything even remotely close to a contributing effort. They pop up in almost any thread, regardless of the subject.

I have read some of your other contributions and you have made some really good points.
    Last edited by Yellow10; 05-10-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: I had read about Masanori Aoki before

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    How much will ya'll whine, when the next redesigned new Goldwings, have a smaller engine??
    So you know something the rest of don't?

Then you must have known about the 2012 interim bike.

Why didn't you warn us that Honda was coming out with a bike from Japan that had minor changes - some actually making the bike worse?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    Not me, I expect a smaller, more efficient (hybrid + Vtec?) engine.
    Bev, we will miss you.

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?

Florida Prowler 42

Post Thanks / Like

Seabear70 needs to be hired by Honda

"Loving life and the Grandbaby"
    Thanking God everyday

Post Thanks / Like

Since gas prices are going up here in the US, and many non-rider are thinking about giving up their cars for comuting, maybe they will add a removable cover for 'bad weather' riding.......
    "Some days it's not worth the trouble to gnaw through the restraints!"

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I see the next real change in a wing to be lighter, more narrow, smaller engine, more horses and an automatic HFT

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laen View Post
    I see the next real change in a wing to be lighter, more narrow, smaller engine, more horses and an automatic HFT

ROTFLMAO

I can see it all now.A group ride with a bunch of these trying to roll down the road.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.