TAR SNAKES (what the world??)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAR SNAKES (what the world??)

Post Thanks / Like

Default TAR SNAKES (what the world??)

I can fix your a/c, I can fix your heat. I can do all sorts of mechanical stuff, but there is one thing that escapes my simple mind. Why in the heck do tar snakes affect the handling of your motorcycle so drastically?? It's one thing to feel the bike wiggle when running across tar snakes on a straight away, but man o man, when you hit one just right in a turn, it can make you feel like your going to bite it big time. Fortunately, I've ridden my entire life, so I am very comfortable when things start to feel a bit slippery when you lose traction, but why do these Tar Snakes seem to cause the handling to go away so drastically?? Maybe it's just a sensation that you get used to, but there was one section of road in North Geaorgia that was tar snake heaven, and I did not care for it all that much. Inquiring minds would like to know. Anyone have any input
    Rick - Myrtle Beach, SC.
    08' Pearl White GL1800

Cruising the coast since 2005

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Because they do not offer the same coefficient of friction as the pavement does.
    StevieMac- any and all advice provided by me is of the "Use it at your own risk" variety. Common sense and your own good judgement must always prevail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StevieMac View Post
    Because they do not offer the same coefficient of friction as the pavement does.
    Granted the coefficient of friction is different, but I wonder if there might be more going on here. Is it possible that the tar being "softer" when it is warmer results in some give or shearing in the tar? I notice the tar snakes way more on warm days.

Ron

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They are also not - in some cases - solid.

We came across some tar-snakes that you could literally pick up with your finger - they had the consistency of cold gum. It was around 60 degrees and overcast that day, so it isn't like they had heated up.

That was my first experience with snakes like those on curves.
    Larry
    2010 GL1800/2008 Suzuki BKing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemosley View Post
    They are also not - in some cases - solid.

We came across some tar-snakes that you could literally pick up with your finger - they had the consistency of cold gum. It was around 60 degrees and overcast that day, so it isn't like they had heated up.

That was my first experience with snakes like those on curves.
    The main difference is that tar snakes do not have any aggregate in them, only the liquid asphalt, or whatever blend. Asphalt paving contains in addition to the liquid asphalt sand and aggregate. It is the sand and aggregates that give you the traction with the liquid asphalt holding it all together.
    Paul & Jodi
    Lake Caroline VA
    2000 Concours #1 Killed a Deer 2000 Concours #2 Sold for downpayment on Wing
    2008 White Goldwing
    Full Traxxion Mega Monte
    DS# 905

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well...

I am going to cop it for this....mine does this to some extent just hitting white lines. My theory is quite simple, two things contribute. 1. If your tyre pressure aint perfect 2. In all honesty the Wing is a lousy handling bike.
    There ya go. " coefficient of friction" yeah, right. Probly does have some effect, thats why we see other bikes spearing off the road every five minutes. Nah, I reckon its mostly # 2.
    but saying that I continue to be awestruck by this machines capabilities...perfectly meets design brief, and exceeds most.
    Flame away boys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Fuller View Post
    Granted the coefficient of friction is different, but I wonder if there might be more going on here. Is it possible that the tar being "softer" when it is warmer results in some give or shearing in the tar? I notice the tar snakes way more on warm days.

Ron
    yes, they are softer when they are hot and the tire will push easier.
    StevieMac- any and all advice provided by me is of the "Use it at your own risk" variety. Common sense and your own good judgement must always prevail.

Post Thanks / Like

Not only will the change of road surface affect the coefficient of friction but the tire (rubber) compound willl have a profound affect also. The tire that you are running may have very little tolerence for the softer surface than another brand may have. There are multiple variables at work here. It seemed to me that the Dunlop E3 had little tolerence for those slippery little snakes whereas the Avon and Bridgestones were more accomodating.

Stephen
    2008 Black GL1800
    DS #246
    He is, therefore, I am.
    Cancer Sucks!

Post Thanks / Like

Many would be amazed at how a suspension upgrade takes the "squirreliness" out of what a Wing does on a tar snake.
    Me and Sweet Irene

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
    Many would be amazed at how a suspension upgrade takes the "squirreliness" out of what a Wing does on a tar snake.
    I would also add tire pressure. I would run 40-41 in my front to counteract the cupping/scalloping
    or otherwise premature disfiguring of the tire. Now that i have ak20 and new rear suspension it was suggested to me to drop tire pressure BACK down to the proper PSI when I was complaining that the bike rode way better but felt very squirmy on the snakes. Now my bike handles great on cracks and snakes with 36 PSI. Feels sure footed NOT running sold a front tire.
    06 white Level 3 Traxxion

Post Thanks / Like

Absolute worse tar snakes I EVER came across was on Bear Tooth Pass last July. There's even a sign warning about them.
    2010 Goldwing 1970 Cuda 2012 Harley FatBoy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Cow!! What a ride!!"

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i believe the material they use for tar snakes has been changing, seems a lot more slippery these days
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Because ...

They are adding a measure of SNOT to it.

Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    i believe the material they use for tar snakes has been changing, seems a lot more slippery these days

Post Thanks / Like

seems like the could add a little hardner and gravel to make it safer.

Post Thanks / Like

Tar snakes will weed out the real riders from the "want-to-be" riders...that being said...I don't like them either...when I hit one it scares the s##t out of me also...

IBA #49997 (Certified)

Dark Side #224
    States I Have Rode In

Provinces I Have Rode In

Arrogance & rudeness is not a personality quality.
    "I am not a busy man" I always have the time to answer a PM without a smart remark ! Or name calling.

Michigan...................................... In The Thumb
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing for sure I can say about tar snakes is, THEY SUCK!
    John
    If Riding A Wing Is A Mid life Crisis....Bring It On!
    2006 Dark Red GL 1800
    Gold Wing, Adopted 4-21-06 Premium Audio/Comfort

R.I.P. Beverly, You'll be Missed!
    R.I.P. Harry
    R.I.P. Chuck
    The "Black Pirate" has left us a message.

Did you get it?

DS 1020

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 ZP

Post Thanks / Like

I ran across several roads today in Indiana with many, many tar snakes - what the maintenance departments are applying is just wrong.

Today my Wing wiggled a bit in several areas. I have always proposed that when they are applying the hot mix to cracks that they add crushed stone "screenings" (fine crushed stone minus 3/16") immediately to the top. That would give more traction to a very slippery surface!

State and/or county highway maintenance personnel should have to ride a motorcycle on the roads that they spread the tar on just to see the effect it has on riders!

A riding buddy of mine was killed when he hit a tar patch and was thrown across the highway and under a semi. I was leading the ride visiting covered bridges ... THAT is hard to take!

"Road Runner" now riding Red....
    Retired and Riding # 1 - SW OH, SE IN and N KY

Florida Prowler #5
    GWRRA 028867 - Life Member
    AMA - 283954 - Charter Life Member

Darkside #1002
    Dunlop Wintersport ROF

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The ones in KY become gooey in the sun and are semi liquid. If you hit one leaning in a curve, the tires will try to walk/slide sideways and you will get some pucker in your pants. I've seen it on sport bikes as well as Goldwings. I don't think the suspension will make a difference since it's just the tire moving out from under you. I try to avoid them at all costs, I'd rather hit pea gravel in a turn.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Post Thanks / Like

There only slippery in the wet I found so far I have not had any probs with them in the dry

Michigan...................................... In The Thumb
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldwing fan View Post
    There only slippery in the wet I found so far I have not had any probs with them in the dry
    They are slippery in the heat also, when they get hot I think they start to melt.
    John
    If Riding A Wing Is A Mid life Crisis....Bring It On!
    2006 Dark Red GL 1800
    Gold Wing, Adopted 4-21-06 Premium Audio/Comfort

R.I.P. Beverly, You'll be Missed!
    R.I.P. Harry
    R.I.P. Chuck
    The "Black Pirate" has left us a message.

Did you get it?

DS 1020

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 ZP

Post Thanks / Like

The worst part is they are highly unpredictable, some are no problem, some are real attention getters to say the least. Not only on the goldwing either, they effect all motorcycles. The worst ones are the fresh ones and in hot weather. The stupid ones that they put a tar snake down 2 foot wide or more are the worst. I took a highway off ramp a few years ago and make a left turn onto the road and swear there was a 4 foot x 6 foot "snake". A solid square piece of tar snake. About like having 2 flat tires the same time when you hit something that rediculous. My wife is trying to get them outlawed. Good luck there, but she's good and doesn't give up easily.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tar snskes

They usually apply way too much. They are supposed to only fill the crack, not spread it way past the edges. I in an earlier time worked on those crews. Ride with a lot of caution, don't tailgate.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Being an old flat tracker they don't really bother me that much. Just ride with your head in the game so you don't get surprised with that OOO NO feeling .

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass were real bad for awhile until they chip sealed CJH last summer. I would go VERY slow since they were so many and so bad on CJH. I try and avoid them at all cost, but they are around. I use a lot of caution and try and avoid the ones going the same way you are, cutting across them at a 90 degree angle and they aren't as bad. Seems they are slippery when in hot and cold temps.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know someone that went down because of tar snakes ?

Post Thanks / Like

I have never EVER had an issue with one that is of normal width, running across the road....I have however puckered a few times when encountering one that ran in the same direction I was traveling. Most of em are what.......3 inches or so across? Assuming a speed of 50 mph, your tire is only on the tar snake for about 3/1000 of a second...
    19?? Honda Mini Trail 50
    19?? Honda XL 70
    1975 Honda CB 125
    1980 Honda CB 650 Custom
    1981 Honda CX 500
    1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
    1993 Harley FLHS
    2002 Harley Ultra Classic
    2010 Harley Ultra Classic
    2012 Level 1 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

The problem comes when there are 1000 of them all spaced every which direction. One tar snake is no problem, but couple it with 999 more all around, they are a real worry to me. I swear here in colorado they about would rather resurface a road with 100,000 gallons of tar snake every which direction than put down any new road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
    I have read your post and have a few questions..

1. What is the "upgrade" you speak of
    2. How much would this cost a fella
    3. What the hell does your answer mean....in relationship to the posters original Question.

LOL

Matt(BCNV)
    2007 Black Cherry Airbag*
    2008 Black Cherry Motortrike
    *Traxxion~Mega
    LIMNCS #74
    DS #925
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” -John Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

When encountered with a road full of tar snakes, just slow down and keep a light hand on the bars. Let the bike walk the walk, it is going to anyway and as long as you ride in a sane manner there is no worry.

Regardless of suspension. I have Traxxion and that front wheel still walks the walk on tar snakes, so I just let it walk .
    " The GL1800 " A grand motorcycle it is. For touring,fun and to see the world there is no other like it. Big and powerful and comfortable for those cross country rides. Also perhaps the very ultimate ambassador to itself and to those who ride it and meet new friends at the many meets and activities this machine brings to the equation.

Post Thanks / Like

In warm and hotter temperatures the tar snakes are softer and will get your attention fairly quickly. Those wide painted strip on the road are what gets my attention. Especially when it's has been raining.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.