GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I’ve expanded my exploring beyond state and county highways, I’ve come to discover enjoyment in finding the not-so-beaten path of backroads ... which often turn to dirt.

Yesterday I was riding a dirt road for several miles through the middle of a forest.

Sooo, rather than asking for recommendations for an adventure bike, I’m gonna start by asking if taking the GW “off road” i.e. well groomed dirt and gravel combo with perhaps some small ruts and bumps from drainage, is ok and to what extent can I continue to do this before I’m causing any damage. I think my biggest concern is the tires as some roads have stones mixed in that make that “toing “ sound when they are run over.

What are your thoughts, recommendations, and warnings about taking this hefty highway cruiser off the beaten path?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
I live 3 miles down a gravel County/national forest road. That gives my Wing 6 miles of off road every time I go out for a day ride. The biggest issue I've found is keeping the alternator clean and the bike clean. I dust the alternator with compressed air with the engine running on a regular basis and clean the bike each time I arrive back home. The air filter life will be affected also. I changed mine at 19k, it was pretty stopped up. HTH.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just my opinion based on how it feels. I hate riding the wing on anything other than pavement. I've owned crossover bikes like the 500 enduro that I rode on every surface imaginable in Hawaii. And I have to say that every bike other than my 2014 Wing was either OK to ride on gravel roads or at least tolerable. I dont know if its the tires and weight distribution on this wing, or if its just me, but since buying this 14 I stay off gravel roads at all costs. I imagine there is a reason tires wear out in half the miles on a wing compared to almost all other big touring bikes. I also find the GL sucks in rain compared to my most recent Harleys and that could simply be the difference in those HD Dunlops with better gripping treads. Rides like a tank on two wheels to me so anything wobbly is out of the question. I sound like Debbie Downer---oh well :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Agree Captron, makes no sense unless the GL owner wants to post U Tube or be a trail blazer or be prepared to fix at great cost. Or, if the owner has the 'bones' of a GL and it runs, have at and see how long and how well it performs. Would make a good story.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have no compunction taking my Wing down a dirt road (if I did, I'd lose access to half of Colorado).

No gravel or mud, simply because a dropped bike may not be liftable, and the sidestand can't hold the bike up. But at least here, gravel roads don't exist anymore.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Goldwings are made for the open highways in my opinion. Too much cheap plastic bits to rattle and squeak on dirt roads.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ooohhhhhhkay ... so which ADV bike do you recommend?

BMW GS? Versys? Africa Twin (has DCT - big Advantage)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
For the record, this is the type of road I’m referring to

As mentioned before, it that bike falls over, you're in a world of hurt. On a surface like that, you have NO traction with your feet and legs, in order to pickup the bike. There is a reason ADV bikes are only about 500 lbs:surprise:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
For the record, this is the type of road I’m referring to
That’s a highway compared to some of the off road trails I did on Wings in my younger days. Never had a major problem doing it but pretty much gave that kind of riding up on Wings as I got older.

·
IronMan
17,104 Posts
THE WING NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER BIKE OR VEHICLE !!! WILL "GO " ANYPLACE YOU CAN "HANDLE IT " !! SAFELY ! I'VE BEEN ON ROADS THAT "AFTER " I'VE DONE SAID "WONT DO THAT ONE AGAIN " ! MY "PUCKER" REFLEXES SEEM TO "STICK" MORE NOW THAT I'M OLDER ! :surprise::laugh:

·
Registered
505 Posts
As mentioned before, it that bike falls over, you're in a world of hurt. On a surface like that, you have NO traction with your feet and legs, in order to pickup the bike. There is a reason ADV bikes are only about 500 lbs:surprise:
That kind of surface is OK---NOT WONDERFUL but not something that would get me nervous. I'd proceed with caution. Its crushed run with stone dust or just gravel that gives me the sh&%>.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
As a rule the bike IS designed for pavement. But, as stated above, if you are prudent with your exploration options, you should be ok. Carelessness on those roads will smash the engine case, break the coolant bottle, dent a belly pan bad enough that other things happen. There are so many nooks and crannies in a wing for that much dust. I think it just doesn’t mix. Ok, take those roads, just easy does it. I too have ventured down such roads, but very rarely. As far as a duel sport? The wee-strom can be had inexpensively, and it’s an awesome runner on and off pavement. Post some more pictures of your adventures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an F6B and an Africa Twin DCT. The road pictured would only give me pause on the ‘Wing if it was muddy. Even when dry, the pace would be relatively slow.

On the AT, power slides might happen.>:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts