GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
But I mean they are small.

I had an FJR that could haul all kinds of crap with the panniers and a Givi E55 on back. The Tour holds much less than my FJR, but I plan on minimizing that difference with my rack bag, and careful packing.

·
Registered
612 Posts
There the same size as on the Victory Vision!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
My solution to the small bags and trunk..... If I am going for 3 days or more with camping, I am either pulling a Tailwind or riding the 2010. I can pack with camping gear with a week of clothing and be gone for weeks on the 2010 without a trailer or receiver rack/box; there is just no bloody way I can do that on the 2018 unless I stay only at hotels and do laundry every 5 days instead of 8. There is also no way I am buying new and donating my "dirties" as some here have claimed to do. There is a large amount of space loss due to shape of internal storage beside the 33% actual volume loss on the 2018. The packing capability difference is the reason I keep saying Honda had given up the "Touring Class" title to Harley Davidson and have given the "Goldwing" name to a bike in the "Sport Touring" class. Eventually, I will post a picture of my ST 1800 logo.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
<snip> Honda had given up the "Touring Class" title to Harley Davidson and have given the "Goldwing" name to a bike in the "Sport Touring" class...
My BMW R1200RT side bags can hold a LOT more that the side bags on the wing. Add a Shad 58X top case and I can carry more gear than I can with checked luggage on an overseas flight. All that with a bike that weighs 200 pounds less, can carry more weight (keeping to specs), and is easier to work on. This is why I chose the RT over the new Wing last year.

Before I get pig-piled, I stay on this forum not to bash the Wing, I've always been a huge fan, but to stay in touch in case Honda decides to revise the luggage in a future design refresh. The Goldwing is still near the top of my "things to buy before I die" bucket list (come on Honda, hurry up, I don't have that much time left!).

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
My BMW R1200RT side bags can hold a LOT more that the side bags on the wing. Add a Shad 58X top case and I can carry more gear than I can with checked luggage on an overseas flight. All that with a bike that weighs 200 pounds less, can carry more weight (keeping to specs), and is easier to work on. This is why I chose the RT over the new Wing last year.

Before I get pig-piled, I stay on this forum not to bash the Wing, I've always been a huge fan, but to stay in touch in case Honda decides to revise the luggage in a future design refresh. The Goldwing is still near the top of my "things to buy before I die" bucket list (come on Honda, hurry up, I don't have that much time left!).
Same with me. I WANT to give Honda my money but need a 2 up touring bike. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will eventually make one.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
apparently your old wing didnt have enough room for two up riding either.
I am glad you guys feel like there is enough storage in the new Wing. I'm glad it works for you. However, how you feel will not change how I feel about the lack of storage. Once again, I am not attacking your choice of motorcycle... I WANT ONE! It just won't work for our needs as I am 2 up 90 percent of the time. Our bike is used more like most people use their car. It is not uncommon for her to have me stop by the grocery store.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Or have the wife get her own GW and then you won't have a space issue...:grin2:

Reactions: RiderUSA

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I am glad you guys feel like there is enough storage in the new Wing. I'm glad it works for you. However, how you feel will not change how I feel about the lack of storage. Once again, I am not attacking your choice of motorcycle... I WANT ONE! It just won't work for our needs as I am 2 up 90 percent of the time. Our bike is used more like most people use their car. It is not uncommon for her to have me stop by the grocery store.

i assure you, brother, nothing against you. it just doesnt make sense. first point, your old wing doesnt have enough room for your needs, either. you say the new wing doesnt have enough storage and you wont buy one until it does, yet your OLD wing, which you bought and possibly still have, is loaded to the hilt with bags AND youre pulling a trailer. it makes you look like a hater. why not just buy the new wing, add the same bags you use on your old wing and pull the same trailer you already own? youre missing out on a great bike waiting around for 5 more liters of bag space instead of utilizing a trailer you already have.

·
Registered
506 Posts
At some point you cross the line between available storage and the amount of stuff you feel that is required to pack for a trip. It might be helpful to post up a list of everything you pack and have others give you suggestions on ways to reduce the load. As with anything, the more space you have the more junk you pack.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.