GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to move to a new GW ... and not necessarily going to a brand new one, but what would make you move to the next gen at some point in the future?

For me, cornering ABS might be all it takes. To a lesser extent, a better navigation system. The recent upgrades are a +, but still plenty of room to improve.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The reasons why I didn't move to a new one. Smaller fairing and windshield. Less protection for the passenger.
I had an ST and my wing. In my mind they are trying to appeal to the younger crowd and meld the wing into a great sporty touring machine. Two dealers told me that they are selling to a younger demographic so they maybe hit their mark. I also hear they corner great (Max @ Traxxion and Louis @ Electrical Connection) but I have my wing for touring and I want my luggage capacity and weather protection.
It would be nice if I had a better navigation system but it does the job and I can always use my phone going to my Sena unit if I wanted to. I talked to some wing mechanics and they told me that the fasteners on my 2015 are better as the new ones are all plastic. They break easier so I am told. Plus I just don't like all the sharper angles. Eventually I may get a newer one but not for at least 10 years.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have a 2016 ABS model that I am MOSTLY happy with. I took a demo ride last summer on a new one, and maybe its just me, but I didn't notice enough of a difference to make me even somewhat interested in a new one. Yes, the suspension is improved, but my stock suspension on my 2016 is still better than any other bike that I have owned and I am more than satisfied. Yes, I like the electric windscreen, but I don't like how much smaller it is. The 6 speed manual would be nice compared to my 5 speed, but again, once I got used to the 5 speed (my previous bike had a 6 speed gearbox) I have been fine with it. I would have liked Bluetooth instead of the cumbersome and old fashioned cable connection for the intercom feature, but that's not enough to get me to spend thousands of dollars. I guess if the wizards at Honda could offer me a bike similar to what I have but 200 to 300 pounds lighter I would jump at it. But that's not likely to happen so I will remain happy with what I have. FWIW, the main reason my passenger (wife) wanted me to buy the Goldwing rather than the HD Ultra that we demo rode was the bit of space between the rider and the passenger, similar to what she felt on the HD. The newer Goldwings are just a bit tighter in that area and I suspect my wife would be quite unhappy with that seating position.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 2016 ABS model that I am MOSTLY happy with. I took a demo ride last summer on a new one, and maybe its just me, but I didn't notice enough of a difference to make me even somewhat interested in a new one. Yes, the suspension is improved, but my stock suspension on my 2016 is still better than any other bike that I have owned and I am more than satisfied. Yes, I like the electric windscreen, but I don't like how much smaller it is. The 6 speed manual would be nice compared to my 5 speed, but again, once I got used to the 5 speed (my previous bike had a 6 speed gearbox) I have been fine with it. I would have liked Bluetooth instead of the cumbersome and old fashioned cable connection for the intercom feature, but that's not enough to get me to spend thousands of dollars. I guess if the wizards at Honda could offer me a bike similar to what I have but 200 to 300 pounds lighter I would jump at it. But that's not likely to happen so I will remain happy with what I have. FWIW, the main reason my passenger (wife) wanted me to buy the Goldwing rather than the HD Ultra that we demo rode was the bit of space between the rider and the passenger, similar to what she felt on the HD. The newer Goldwings are just a bit tighter in that area and I suspect my wife would be quite unhappy with that seating position.
If you get Electrical Connection's Bluetooth connector and then use a helmet system like Sena then you can move away from the cables. I don't run a CB so not sure how that would work. My wife likes not being tethered to the bike.
You can put it in in 5 to 10 minutes too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did the switch from a 2012 with 55k to a 2018 now at 33k. I am not an aggressive rider, scraping a peg happens but is not a regular occurrence. I ride solo 99% of the time. I am in my early 70's and arthritis is becoming an increasing factor. I tend to do at least 200 miles when I leave the driveway. Most years there is also a 4 to 5k trip. On the 2012 when coming to a stop, I always had to be very aware of the position of the front wheel because of the pressure I felt on my hips if the bike tried to lean. I had several instances when the lean became significant, that I just let the bike drop. I have never felt the need to drop the 2018. The 2018 just seems to be easier to balance regardless of the position of the front wheel. I also thinks the 2018 just handles better, but I realize that is a purely subjective opinion. I have a DCT so having a sore hand after riding in traffic is no longer an issue. There is also less return force on the throttle which makes it more comfortable after a long stretch of running through curves or following a friend with no cruise control. I am not enthralled with the GPS, but have learned to live with its limitations because the visibility of the screen is so good. I really have not found a significant difference in the wind/rain protection and I did spend a day and a half riding through cold rain last year. I was considering giving up riding with the 2012, now I am looking forward to more years.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
For me it would take lots of this 💰💰💰 ;)

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
For me it would take lots of this 💰💰💰 ;)
Exactly this.

I have no complaints with my ‘02 Wing and wouldn’t mind a change to the new generation.

But my financial priorities at this point in retirement are making sure I don’t outlive my money.
And since I’m currently in excellent health I’ll keep riding the ‘02 and save for the unknown future.

I got bitten by the Corvette bug (again) a few months ago. I smiled, put some ice on it, and waited for the swelling to go down.

I‘m feeling much better now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I won't say that I will never get the new model, but I will say very simply, Not Yet. I happen to love the look of the new bike and all the updates that have come with it, but I am content to wait a bit.

My '03 has ABS, Windbender with a rake kit, Mic O Pegs, remodeled seat with back rest, spoiler with brake light etc, EdSets Bluestreak integrated with my Android phone, Garmin 2797 GPS tied into the Bluestreak, fog lights/running lights. In short, it is set up pretty well for a 17 year old bike. I frequently have someone ask me what year my bike is and they are always shocked when I tell them (most recent in bank drive thru last week). Did I figure out all my upgrades on my own? Heck no I didn't. I read a lot about other Wing riders and what things they did, some good, some not so good, and ended up with My Bike.

So whenever I get a newer model, you can bet that I will have done the same research, looked at both positive and negative after market upgrades, then make the purchase and begin the process to again get My Bike just the way I want it.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
It's not like the 01-17's are getting set to the wrecking yard when they are traded.

They get sold -- so there is still a market for them.

Some prefer the old one, and some have the same $$$ reasons as posted above.

Some just want others to take the first 4 or 5 years depreciation.

For some it's styling.

Some go looking for an 01-17 because they've 'always wanted on of those'.

Some just need both generations to have in the collection...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I did not "switch" and will not switch. My 2010 Goldwing is the absolute best motorcycle I have ever had and even ever ridden. My 2010 can only be replaced by another 2010 or maybe any 2001-2017; but never with a 2018+. I bought a 2018 as a second bike that I will be able to put "day only" miles on and not continue putting 24K miles a year on my 2010 since it was fast approaching 200K miles. If I had to sell all but one motorcycle, I would keep the 2010 and think nothing of it. There are some great things that I do like on the 2018, with transmission being at the top of that list as it seem that Honda has finally figured out how to build manual transmissions. Having both, I can go for a multiple day ride on my 2010 in comfort and for work and day rides on my 2018. So far this year, I have put just under 11K miles on my 2010 and just over 9K miles on my 2018 and I still have a just over 2 months to get the other 4-6K miles I normally do in a full year.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Because I still work full time and we have short riding seasons I have a tendency to keep a motorcycle for a extended period of time, well beyond the warranty. For that reason I have no interest in a motorcycle with that level of technology or complexity.

Fo me to have any interest in it, I would have to be retired so that I could get my use out of it under warranty and my wife had given up riding. And have moved to a climate more conducive to year around riding.

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
I'm waiting for a Grand Touring model that would have more storage. Also, its over all presents seems too small. For example, I see 6th gen riders riding by who look too large on one, but they did not look too large when riding a 5th gen Wing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While the cornering ABS and more end-user friendly GPS would make me twitch, I still don't think I would bust a move ... yet. I like the fact that my '16 is a Level III with everything but an airbag (Helite Turtle vest closed that gap), has only 16k miles, and there is a tremendous knowledge base and accessory list for these bikes that isn't likely to change soon. Plus, Honda had 15 years to fine tune it - the 14+ Wings are the best of the generation. I have a '15 Spyder STS - not a common model for Spyders - and the subforum on spyderlovers.com for STS is pretty quiet, as well as the aftermarket accessories that can fit an STS....so...I know what its like to have a bike with a limited support network. With LEDs, mine looks more modern - and I am going to add more to the taillights this off-season. Also, my '16 Wing will be paid for in June, and with my mildly upgraded front end, I think it will feel like a new bike. I do like the 18+ Wing - fits a sweet spot between Wing and BMW without the Bavarian issues - but it does not offer enough to make me pick up another round of Wing payments.

Maybe if cornering ABS gets added to 2021 or 2022 models, I will look a year or two later.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
341 Posts
Many of the Magazine Writers were upset with Honda for not changing the styling of the Goldwing for so many years. Now people wish they would go back to the early 1800s. I have a 2005 and love it. It might be old school but I am pleased with the luggage capacity and handling. It is heavier by about 70 pounds heavier than the newest 2018+ but it is also lighter than the 1500 that I put 112K miles on. I have a TOMTOM GPS that has never given me a problem for the past 6 years. My Freewire, Sena, GPS and Phone all work perfectly together with my OEM AM/FM/CB/CD. Why go newer.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts