GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My current 05 is one hell of a bike. I have it set up the way I like it. The cost of a "new model" bike is not worth it for me. The way I see it, all the newer electronics and features on the bike is just that much more to go wrong and have to fix and electronics are expensive. I will keep what I have.

·
Registered
455 Posts
6MT with an airbag, corded sound system option, better luggage capacity, warm air vents for feet, take off another 100 lbs. My '08 Airbag has all this (5MT, obviously and not the reduced weight, which is no problem for me) which are great features I enjoy all the time. My GW is fast, handles great, has great brakes, etc. If I went to the 1833, I lose my airbag, foot warmers, luggage capacity, have to buy a new soundsystem for my helmets and deal with bluetooth issues, have to recharge helmets nightly, and have to stiffen up the stock suspension to make it ride sporty like mine, plus I have to bring $15k to the table. Obviously this isn't going to happen, which is ok because I love my ride.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The new gen is a great bike and if I wasn't retired and on a limited income I might add one to the fleet but I could not get rid of the 03 because Mom would divorce me as she hates the seating position and leg room on the new gen. My 03 still runs and rides like a new bike and I do all my own work so I know what I have.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
No way, too complex to repair. They have gone like the new cars. All these things that are so great in concept, cornering ABS, adaptive headilights, ect, ect. Someday these things don't work, and do you think you can fix yourself? Think a dealer can repair?
They have gone along the lines of BMW. If you do buy, get rid of when warranty expires. That is pretty much the advice most wealthy people have that buy new cars, and the goldwing unfortunately is the same idea.

·
Registered
236 Posts
At 71 and riding a trike because of arthritis it would take being able to wind the clock back say to 65, ABS and automatic transmission. CSC makes some beautiful 2020 Goldwing trike.
Bill

·
Registered
777 Posts
The reasons why I didn't move to a new one. Smaller fairing and windshield. Less protection for the passenger.
I had an ST and my wing. In my mind they are trying to appeal to the younger crowd and meld the wing into a great sporty touring machine. Two dealers told me that they are selling to a younger demographic so they maybe hit their mark. I also hear they corner great (Max @ Traxxion and Louis @ Electrical Connection) but I have my wing for touring and I want my luggage capacity and weather protection.
It would be nice if I had a better navigation system but it does the job and I can always use my phone going to my Sena unit if I wanted to. I talked to some wing mechanics and they told me that the fasteners on my 2015 are better as the new ones are all plastic. They break easier so I am told. Plus I just don't like all the sharper angles. Eventually I may get a newer one but not for at least 10 years.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
sailordudeii has hit the nail square on the head.

The newer gen Wings are smaller in multiple dimensions and move towards the sport touring line. You can buy an FJR1300 or ST1300 way cheaper if you want sportier shorter distance riding. And those bike are just as bulletproof as our Wings. The last winner of the IBR was a BMW MC mechanic on a 2005 Yamaha FJR1300.

Never had a problem with my 2005 FJR1300 commuting daily on it in all four seasons. Wing was the Friday, touring and weekend bike. Slap a huge 56 liter GIVI top trunk on either and you have an even lighter touring ride. No reason to "upgrade" to a new Wing with less for touring. :rolleyes:

Give us back the room and the storage! Otherwise, my 2003 is just fine.

Here's an idea. Spend that excess money on some other fun vehicle like a 2015 or newer Can Am Spyder F3 with the 1330cc engine for easier riding with my wife for only $15K or better with a couple of dealers nearby just in case.

See no reason to drop $32K on a new Wing. Rather have a different type of bike, power cruiser, 3-wheeler or even a Ural sidecar rig for fun.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'm gonna hang onto my 2005, like AKWinger. I've slowed down, retired in 2012 and just go on short 50-100 mile rides for enjoyment, mostly by myself now (single).
I just turned 65, and may ride for another 5+ years, but no one can say for certain how long they'll last. My 2005 is up to date, never gave me any problems, and has just
turned ALMOST 45,000 miles...New Fluids, pads ( 2 months ago) and will change out plugs next year maybe. Averaging 2,000 miles / year should be a cinch for 5 more years.

It's been 15 years of joy.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm picking up my new Wing Tuesday. Why? Because of the bike I'm currently on. . . I have concerns with out of warranty repair cost and reliability.( BMW GSA) Even the BMW sales manager told me I should trade it in before the warranty expired or repair cost would become very expensive. . .
The Honda dealership is also offering 7k off the price of a 2018 manual transmission. It was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I have a 2008 ABS and I would only go to the new model if mine became non-functional for some reason, could not be repaired AND I could not find an acceptable 2017 or earlier bike to buy. Money is not an issue, there's just nothing about the new bike that interests me. But, I would take it if it were my only option. I tend to keep what works...

Have a 2010 Ranger... and no desire to get the new Ranger.

Wife and I have been together for 42 years... I see no need to upgrade...

....... that doesn't mean I don't look at the newer models though....... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I trike'd out my 2010, and will not purchase another (I'm now 70 yrs old) and I only have 60,000 (ish) miles on mine now..(not even brok'nn yet) My bike has been babied, oil change'd, and maintained, and 100% garaged, all these years..........

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
As soon as I hit the lottery, I'm buying one! But if turns out not being as comfortable as my '06, I will give it away to some deserving son, son-in-law or grandson. To keep peace I might buy a dozen new Goldwings! In the meantime I plan on buying a used, well-maintained '25 model for my 80th birthday.

·
Registered
597 Posts
...to move to a new GW ... and not necessarily going to a brand new one, but what would make you move to the next gen at some point in the future?

For me, cornering ABS might be all it takes. To a lesser extent, a better navigation system. The recent upgrades are a +, but still plenty of room to improve.
About a $10,000 drop in price.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Exactly this.

I have no complaints with my ‘02 Wing and wouldn’t mind a change to the new generation.

But my financial priorities at this point in retirement are making sure I don’t outlive my money.
And since I’m currently in excellent health I’ll keep riding the ‘02 and save for the unknown future.

I got bitten by the Corvette bug (again) a few months ago. I smiled, put some ice on it, and waited for the swelling to go down.

I‘m feeling much better now.
The “Corvette Bug” is a very powerful force. I’m glad you are recovering without too much financial damage. I too (again) have been repeatedly bitten. I think the previous generation Goldwings are amazing machines in their own right, and jumping to the 2018-2020 generation is a matter of want, not need, for most riders in decent shape. Life is short...and from a materialistic standpoint, those mid-engine ‘Vettes, just like the new generation ‘Wings, are sure a heckuva lot of fun! “Memento Mori”...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I really like the new ST1800 but my 13 has been paid off for a long time. The 13 is set up just the way I want it with trailer hitch and all the storage I need. I guess if I could trade even up I would have to think about it real hard.

Reactions: edmKC

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
...to move to a new GW ... and not necessarily going to a brand new one, but what would make you move to the next gen at some point in the future?
Nope, not gonna happen.

See, I took well over $2000 of accessories & farkles off my '06 & put them onto my '16.

THEN, I sold the '06.

I can't do that a second time with an '18+ bike.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts