GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy has '02 with 57K on it. On a recent ride the engine started making weird knocking sound...no FI light. Sounds like marbles in the engine.
Oil changed at regular intervals, oil checked and is good.

Dealer is sending a trailer for it Tuesday (he has an extended warranty, thank God)

Anyone ever hear of this? I'll post more info when he finds out what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Gonna agree with V-driver on this one. My '03 did the same thing at about 41k. The alternator driven gear assembly is the culprit.

Took the dealer 7 weeks to get it fixed. About 2.5 of those was waiting for them to have an opening in their schedule so they could work on the bike. Another 3.5 of those was the dealer arguing with MH about what the noise was and where it was coming from, another couple days talking with the area rep (who called from his hospital bed!) who said he knew what it was and getting authorization from MH to pull the engine and fix it, and a couple of days to do the actual work.

"Funny" thing was, I'd read about the problem here and suggested to the dealer/mechanic where to start looking. If they'd only listened. :(

Since I was still under warranty it didn't cost me a dime. And the HRC membership towing paid for transport from my house to the dealer (membership just paid for itself twice over!)

·
Registered
179 Posts
SAME HERE ASKED HERE WHAT PROBLEM WAS THEN TOLD DEALER . AFTER THEY FOUND OUT I WAS OR RATHER THE GL1800 FORUM WAS CORRECT THEY SAID BRING IT BACK IN TWO WEEKS. ( REMEMBER NOW THEY KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS ) SO I TAKE IT BACK THEY TAKE THE MOTOR OUT AND ON THE 3rd DAY I CALL TO SEE ABOUT THE PROGRESS AND THE SAY THEY HAVE TO ORDER THE PARTS AND THEY SHOULD BE HERE NEXT WEEK ! WHYYYYYYY DIDNT THEY ORDER THEM THE 1st VISIT???? :evil: :?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got word that it is indeed the alternator drive problem mentioned here...he's waiting on the parts to get it done now.

I asked if he told them what it may be, or if they found it themselves... :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts