GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my 02 Goldwing speedometer when I bought the bike they said that it was acting funny. When I left it jumped up to 40 miles an hour and then it quit so I don't know if it's a plug-in issue or what anybody else out there had this issue or can you tell me what it could possibly be? Thank you in advance.

·
Vendor
16,406 Posts
I am having a problem with my 02 Goldwing speedometer when I bought the bike they said that it was acting funny. When I left it jumped up to 40 miles an hour and then it quit so I don't know if it's a plug-in issue or what anybody else out there had this issue or can you tell me what it could possibly be? Thank you in advance.
First check to see if it has some sort of device to correct the speedo error they all have. Usually those are found in a plastic box under the right front pocket. If nothing there, follow Robs advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the info. Is this something I could do myself? I heard the speedometer connection is underneath the belly pan on the right side of the transmission. Thanks again

·
Vendor
16,406 Posts
Thank you both for the info. Is this something I could do myself? I heard the speedometer connection is underneath the belly pan on the right side of the transmission. Thanks again
Nothing should be underneath the belly pan. There is a Speed sensor on the right side of the engine. To replace it, if you have a belly pan, the belly pan would need removed, as well as the lower center cowl, the right front exhaust shield.

To get to sensor's connector, which might be where your problem lies, probably requires that the seat and shelter be removed.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,605 Posts
I answered the other gentleman also but I wanted to thank you is this something that I would have to take the belly pan off to check?
Has the FI light come on while riding? It should come on if the speed signal is missing from the sensor. If it never comes on while riding, this could mean the signal is good from the sensor, but it‘s getting lost at the gauge plugs or on the way to them. Yes, to reach the sensor you have to get between the block and the right side exhaust header where the belly pan is mounted with the exhaust cover. Here is a diagram that shows the location of the sensor and it’s harness connector up in a boot near your right knee sitting on the bike. Greg is right and the shelter has to be lifted at least enough to reach this connector.

·
Vendor
16,406 Posts
Didn't some of the early 1800's have a problem with the clear cover on the speedo warping a bit? IIRC, there were some that deformed just enough to cause some drag on the needle.
Yes ... and that should be mentioned, but it was for the 2001's. However with aftermarket windscreens the same can still happen. Sun light will sometimes come through a windshield and concentrate hot sun rays on the speedo's faceplate behind the needle and warp it causing the needle to rub. To the OP ... be sure to do a visual on the faceplate behind the speedo needle for rubbing. Attached is the link to Honda's bulletin.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yes ... and that should be mentioned, but it was for the 2001's. However with aftermarket windscreens the same can still happen. Sun light will sometimes come through a windshield and concentrate hot sun rays on the speedo's faceplate behind the needle and warp it causing the needle to rub. To the OP ... be sure to do a visual on the faceplate behind the speedo needle for rubbing. Attached is the link to Honda's bulletin.

Greg, just a FYI for you. The speedo problem also existed in 02. Mine was replaced under warranty. Always annoyed me that my odo reading was off but now I have a low mileage bike. :rolleyes:

·
Vendor
16,406 Posts
Greg, just a FYI for you. The speedo problem also existed in 02. Mine was replaced under warranty. Always annoyed me that my odo reading was off but now I have a low mileage bike. :rolleyes:
Glad Honda took care of you. Warranty problems can always exist outside of a Service Bulletin.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
My '01 was replaced under warranty also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts