GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going up a mountain today and my temp started climbing so I pulled over to check my fluids. Rad was full and the over flow was good. Fan comes on but it pushes air out the front of the bike. I would think it would push it out the sides. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
That's how the fans are designed to work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey, roadwarrior--
I hear ya about the fan, but Biker John is right--that's the design. I had an '02 also for several years and remember reading other posts back then expressing concerns about high radiator temps. I saw mine rise also on occasion, but it never got too high. It seems Honda had a fix for it, but if I remember correctly the fix was a superficial one--that is replacing the sensor with one less sensitive or something along that line. Unless you see it boil over I think you'll be OK. Anxious, maybe--but OK.
OB

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Lee, saw you had called me on the phone....Doing a little work on my '78 GL1000 project.

To your problem....What what was the temp outside when this happened? Last year, it was around 90 degrees, I was in Colorado sitting in traffic due to an accident and she got pretty hot. Temp guage started climbing at a pretty alarming rate. I thought about pulling over to the shoulder but then the traffic started moving. It didn't take much speed to start lowering the temp but it is unnerving. Never had a problem any other time. Just keep it in mind. Never noticed or realized the fan direction, seems opposite logic to me but what do I know....

On my 08, the fans seem to come on quicker but the needle never moves. Some folks on this board have commented that on the 06 and above they just desensitized the gauge to not show the temp climbing. Allegedly, that was Honda's cooling "fix" for the later models.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I owned a 2002 for 6 years, and have owned my 2007 for 4 years.

I see no difference in the "parade mode" heating problem between them. Ride at about 15 MPH for enough distance and both will begin to warm up. I've never seen either one puke coolant, but I have had both of them into the red zone.

It' a design flaw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts