GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys...new to Wing (about 7 months). While getting new tires in the shop, my 02 decides to quit while the guy is taking a test ride to check the new mounts. This bike did this to me before on one ride (two occasions). It managed to restart, but I'm not sure why or what I may have done. I'm not exactly confident as to the stealers t/s ability. Here's what I know:
- Bike turns over, but won't start
- Fuel pump does not initialize with key
- Relay is clicking
- FI light is indicating 1 long, 5 short (15? right)

I have read here extensively (numerous threads on similar subject), and there are soo many scenarios. Obviously, something is keeping the fuel pump from engaging. Need help on what they shoud be checking.

- I've heard camshaft position sensors, pulse generators, switches (kill, sidestand, bank angle, etc.), bad battery. Bad fuel injector or plug; ECM hard coding and won't let bike start?

Can someone help me make sense of all this info.? Any help from the gurus would be most appreciated. :bow: Bike has 25K on it and has performed perfectly except for this recent run up in 'shut down' events.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
The #15 code it is throwing indicates a problem with the #4 injector according to my chart... This will be the center of the left bank If I remember correctly. I would start by unplugging it and checking the connectors for corrosion. Hopefully they will be either loose or mildly corroded. The lack of signal will cause the ECM to shut down the motor, but someone smarter than me will be along shortly to let you know if the means of the shutdown is the fuel or the spark. Hope you find your intermittent issue. They are the hardest.

Keep us posted... these guys are good in helping. Just let them know what you need to know.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
That injector code will keep it dead until you find and fix the issue. Like Revrunt said, hopefully it's just a bad connection on the injector's wire harness. The ECM has the fuel pump and spark turned off as long as that code is in it's memory. If it's a bad connection, it could be on the injector end or the ECM's end of the harness, so you will have to check both ends of the harness. The left radiator and injector cover has to be removed to get to the plug and the seat and shelter has to be removed to get to the ECM's plugs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the help guys. Will talk to dealer tomorrow. Honda's Regional Service Mgr. will be there on Wed. also (coincidently). I'll report back the verdict once she's running again. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
From the manual:

Engine cranks but won’t start​
• No fuel in tank
• No fuel to injector
– Clogged fuel filter
– Pinched or clogged fuel feed hose
– Pinched or clogged fuel tank breather tube
– Faulty fuel pump
– Faulty fuel pump circuits
• Intake air leak
• Contaminated/deteriorated fuel
• Faulty fuel injector
• Idle air control valve stuck closed​
• No spark at plug (faulty ignition system – section 17)

I would force wipe the codes and try to start the bike.

SELF-DIAGNOSTIC MEMORY RESET
PROCEDURE​
Remove the seat (page 2-5).
Place the side stand down.​
‘01 – ‘03:​
1. Turn the ignition switch to “OFF.”
2. Short the service check connector terminals (3P
black connector with green and black leads) with
a jumper wire.
3. Turn the ignition switch to “ON.”
4. Remove the jumper wire from the service check
connector.
5. The MIL will light for approximately 5 seconds.
While the MIL lights, short the service check connector
terminals again with the jumper wire. The
self-diagnostic memory is erased if the malfunction
indicator goes off and starts blinking.
• The service check connector must be jumped
while the MIL lights. If not, the MIL will not start
blinking.
• Note that the self-diagnostic memory cannot be
erased if the ignition switch is turned “OFF”
before the MIL starts blinking.
If the MIL blinks 33 times, the self-diagnostic​
memory has not been erased.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:
#6 fuel injector assembly had to be replaced. Got her back today from dealer and she's running fine again. Part wasn't too bad, but labor always gets you! Given what they went thru to diagnose, and then break it down to check ECU, etc., lucky it wasn't wor$e. Regional Service Mgr. helped drill down to the problem and confirmed the repair scenario. I think they actually were very fair to me (did I just say that about a stealer?). Can't confirm that it was nothing more than a connection, but was told they swapped some injectors around to verify that that particular injector was in fact the culprit. Supposedly electronic circuitry exists as part of the unit, and that faulted? :shrug:

You guys were spot on...just turned out to be a different cylinder. Thanks for the feedback.

Oh yeah, I'll give a shout out to Gulf Coast Powersports in Gulf Shores, AL....good bunch of guys in Service there.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,592 Posts
Good to hear they got it fixed. :thumbup: As far as the right or wrong cylinder, either the ECM code was wrong or they swapped them around and stuck the bad one in the number 6 spot before replacing it. Now go ride it like you stole it and have a good weekend! :doorag:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to hear they got it fixed. :thumbup: As far as the right or wrong cylinder, either the ECM code was wrong or they swapped them around and stuck the bad one in the number 6 spot before replacing it. Now go ride it like you stole it and have a good weekend! :doorag:

Plan too... I have some pent up riding enjoyment I need to let out. I really appreciate the knowledge and help from those on this board...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts