GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and picked up my buddy's '02 with 72+K miles to clean and
detail for him. He is not able to ride anymore and he is going to sell it.
Nice bike! Some blems on it but it is 9 years old. Been working on it
most of the day. Its been sitting for 3 years with Amsoil in the crankcase and
looks good. Kept it in a garage the whole time...anyway...

Took it for a ride to shake it down and man it runs strong. after 4K RPM
it is much stronger than my 05. When I got my bike it had 21K on it and
it didn't seem to me to have the power my '02 had. Have changed the plugs
the filter was new when I bought it, so left it alone.

Any ideas why this is the case? I know that the ECM is different in his
bike(its the original one). I think they changed out the ECM when we were having overheating issues and production '04 and up have the new one. I do remember guys complaining back then after changing out the ECM (which he and I decided not to have done) that the mileage dropped some and a loss of power.

Wish I had that ECM in mine...:roll:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,302 Posts
01 to early 04 are the fastest Wings...from there the ECM's were changed and lost some power, then on top of that from 06 and up they gained weight. :lol: Seriously though, I've never seen any magazine test report dyno numbers equal Motorcyclists magazine road test, April 2001.....best road test review of the 1800 ever IMO....of 104.5 hp and 109.9 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel....every magazine road test I've read since, the numbers have been lower.

I never changed the ECM with my 03 either as I didn't see the need.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
01 to early 04 are the fastest Wings...from there the ECM's were changed and lost some power, then on top of that from 06 and up they gained weight. :lol: Seriously though, I've never seen any magazine test report dyno numbers equal Motorcyclists magazine road test, April 2001.....best road test review of the 1800 ever IMO....of 104.5 hp and 109.9 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel....every magazine road test I've read since, the numbers have been lower.

I never changed the ECM with my 03 either as I didn't see the need.
I wonder if there is some way to get an older ECM? I KNEW when I first got
the '05 2 years ago it felt not as strong at the high rev area! Now I know after
riding my friends '02 today. I had sold my '02 in '05 and went back to HD for a few years so it had been awhile since I had rode my '02!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I traded in my 04 for a 2010. The 04 was the better riding and faster wing. They definitely changed something after 04.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts