GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question is will a Honda car radiator cap fit a GW? If so what year & model. Noticed GW Dealer wants $38. & some listed for Honda cars were $5. -$10.

·
Vendor
18,154 Posts
Question is will a Honda car radiator cap fit a GW? If so what year & model. Noticed GW Dealer wants $38. & some listed for Honda cars were $5. -$10.
Will it fit: yes
Will it work and give your cooling system the protection required for reliable travel: NO!!

There is only one cap available for our Wings and it is OEM.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
$28.67 from HDL, but not available in orange ;-)

prs

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I find it hard to believe that Honda while designing all the thousands of parts in the GoldWing spent the time and designed, spec'ed and contracted out for a unique none-other-like-it-in-the-entire-world radiator cap instead of looking through a competent manufacturer's catalog and picking one.

Because I think that if they did that it would a lot more than ~$28. It would be closer to $100, if not more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Will it fit: yes
Will it work and give your cooling system the protection required for reliable travel: NO!!

There is only one cap available for our Wings and it is OEM.
Ok, a rad cap on a different note: I bought this

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=94&division=1&category=19

They're great for refilling the cooling system without excessive spillage while burping out air. Only problem is, that none of the rad cap adapters that come in the kit will work. Will a stock Honda civic/accord rad cap fit the neck of the Wing? I need one to modify to fit the yellow adapters that comes with the kit. If a stock civic rad cap will fit, then you would think that ONE of the metal adapters that comes in the kit would fit the neck of the Wings rad, but they dont........

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

They're great for refilling the cooling system without excessive spillage while burping out air. Only problem is, that none of the rad cap adapters that come in the kit will work. Will a stock Honda civic/accord rad cap fit the neck of the Wing? I need one to modify to fit the yellow adapters that comes with the kit. If a stock civic rad cap will fit, then you would think that ONE of the metal adapters that comes in the kit would fit the neck of the Wings rad, but they dont........
I bought one from OReillys last winter for a little project I was working on. It fit perfectly and sealed with 25in. of vac. I do not know about the pressure rating but that was not a concern for my project and probably not yours. I will try to find the cap number and post it or pm you with it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought one from OReillys last winter for a little project I was working on. It fit perfectly and sealed with 25in. of vac. I do not know about the pressure rating but that was not a concern for my project and probably not yours. I will try to find the cap number and post it or pm you with it.
So, are you saying that one of your adapters that came in the kit fit and sealed properly? None of mine would... maybe my kit was missing one... I thought that the adapters were in a sealed plastic bag....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
So, are you saying that one of your adapters that came in the kit fit and sealed properly? None of mine would... maybe my kit was missing one... I thought that the adapters were in a sealed plastic bag....
No. Mine was a completely different project. My project was to pull a vac on the cooling system to change antifreeze. I used the cap to make an adapter for the vac. hose. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Vendor
18,154 Posts

I don't know what other caps will phsically fit. I never have any problems filling the cooling system with a funnel and patients. Yes, sometimes that means a pee fill that may take 10 min, but I don't even spill these days.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No. Mine was a completely different project. My project was to pull a vac on the cooling system to change antifreeze. I used the cap to make an adapter for the vac. hose. Sorry for the confusion.
Any chance you have pics that you could email me of your vac tool, as I'd like to buy one of the UVac tools but cant afford it right now... My email is alanreid at mail dot com

appreciate it !!
Alan

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Any chance you have pics that you could email me of your vac tool, as I'd like to buy one of the UVac tools but cant afford it right now... My email is alanreid at mail dot com

appreciate it !!
Alan
I tried to send you some pics. but am unsure about your email. It is weird. Give your email exactly as I need to use and I will retry.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I tried to send you some pics. but am unsure about your email. It is weird. Give your email exactly as I need to use and I will retry.

Looks like you figured out my email, as I got the pics. Thanks!
I have a Might Vac like you have for fluid evacuation as well, the model that you hook an air line to... wonder if I can make up my own version as well... Where did you get the modded rad cap to fit the rad on your Wing?

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Looks like you figured out my email, as I got the pics. Thanks!
I have a Might Vac like you have for fluid evacuation as well, the model that you hook an air line to... wonder if I can make up my own version as well... Where did you get the modded rad cap to fit the rad on your Wing?

[email protected]
The radiator cap is the one I mentioned earlier from OReillys. I removed the pressure seal and spring on the bottom and used only the cap and gasket, drilled a hole in the center and put the hose adapter in with rubber gaskets. The one I used was made with spare parts and vlvs. I had on hand. I intend to modify it before using again to make it smaller. It did work really well though. I could get 25in. of vac and collaspe the hoses.

I see no reason you can't make your own version. The evacuater I had was the manual type. If you have one with air connection it will be even better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts