GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took 03 for a trike out after sitting in garage for two months. After about 50 miles bike died (battery dead). I went to wally world and purchased a new battery. Drove about 50 miles to Honda dealership and battery and charging system checked out fine. Drove bike for another 300 miles with no problem. The trip back about 50 miles out the bike died again (dead battery). Let bike set for about 30 minutes, battery picked back up, bike cranked and did fine the remainder of the trip, approx. 300 miles. I put meter on battery tonight and shook all wires and could not get charging output to drop below 14 volts. Note; While driving the first night after replacing battery about every 30~40 miles the lights would dim for 4 or 5 minutes then brighten again but battery never drained completely. Also, at one time the cruise green light starting flashing even though the cruise was not engage. No blown fuses and battery connected are clean. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
check wires on right handlebar they are known for pinching the wires...chuck..ps it kills the charging system

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sounds like the sticky brushes in the alternator. That was common in the 1500's, but I haven't heard of it in the 1800's. How many miles are on the alternator? Do you live in an area that may have high humidity? (I don't know if that would cause the brushes to stick or not) So, giving up on the sticky brush idea, how about loose connections, either at the alternator, ground points or on the battery.
Good luck
Bob D.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New alternator installed March 06. That's another story, a Honda shop missed a blown fuse and installed a new alternator. After the new alternator didn't work he checked and found fuse #19 blown. Since the bike is under warranty he left the new alternator in.
Have pulled and pushed all wires with bike running and meter connected to battery and can not get the alternator output to change. I will take it out againg this weekend and if problem show up again it's time for the shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts