GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The turn signals are not working. When I turn on the left signal the left position light goes out but doesn't flash, same with the right.

Where is the flasher located and how is it tested.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think the flashers are located in the box under the seat. Both sides probably use the same flasher so if neither side is flashing the flasher needs replacement. Make sure you don't have burned out bulb.

G

·
The flasher is located under the front nose of the bike. To get at it you have to remove the windshield. It's not the best design but that's where it is located.

Tom

G

·
I'm not sure what you mean, relay. The blinker rate is controled by the flasher. If that stops working all your blinkers won't work. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions just let me know.

Tom

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, there is a turn signal relay encased in a rubber cover that is mounted center, forward of the instrument gages. Turn signal relay is what the service manual calls it. There are two plugs coming from the wire bundle, one five wire plug with four wires that the relay is plugged into and the other is three wires that attach to the back of the gage cluster. I see nothing else that looks anything like it might be a blinker.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Tell us what you found wrong.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is my first experience with an 1800 and I'm learning a lot about it pretty quickly. I've had it apart installing a new tripple tree and other various things. I have found the service manual lacking and am impressed how the engineers have packed so much under the plastic. If they could have gotten the air cleaner just a little lower it would be a lot easier to remove the Tulsa bellypan to change the air filter. :roll:

I'm rambling but it does relate to my problem. I found that the turn signals will not work without the connections to the top shelter being hooked up.

It's been a learning experience. :lol:

G

·
Don't feel bad or alone on this. Why do you think I knew where the relay and relay plug was located. I did the trike conversion and I was so proud I got the trike all together and when I checked the blinkers they didn't work. Had to pull the windshield, forgot to plug them in. Everything worked after that.

Tom

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Am I correct that you can get to the flasher, by just removing the windshield? The manual says to "remove the front fairing". I have the same problem with my turn signals but it's intermitent. :cry:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was wrong. What the photo points to is the position light relay and just below and to the left of it is the turn signal diode. The turn signal relay is incorporated into the bottom rear of the gauge cluster or what Honda calls the combination meter. There are three wires on the back of the combination relay that are screwed to the terminals of the turn signal relay.

This is true for years up to 2003, newer than 03 may be different. I know the 06 is different.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts