GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 04' with 17k on the odometer,(1) I've been listening to a tapping noise from the left side most of the year that sounds like cam speed.The first several miles from a cold start the engine sounds perfect,but after that, leaving from a stop and slowly accelerating you hear a somewhat loud tapping(sounds just like a lifter tap)only when rpm is between 1200-2000. You can't recreate by just reving in neutral,you must have a load on the engine,you must be driving.(like your listening to an exhaust leak?)definately sounds metallic.Rarely, the noise won't be there. I've inspected the valve clearance and it's perfect
(2)A deep rap/hammer sound heard best after warmed up, only heard if your neither accellerating or decellerating, just keeping a constant speed or maybe giving just alittle throttle to slowly increase speed,easiest heard in 2,3,or 4th in quiet,smooth areas. That noise isn't very loud, but sounds like a bearing noise. I definitely could be wrong,but concerned

I've got 25 years working in a GM dealership working on all types of noises,including engine and I don't think this sounds normal.
It's been at the Shop for 2 weeks,so I called and there tech says things sound normal,so I asked to talk with him,but he wasn't in today. I went to the Dealership to look and found 4.1 miles on the road test so far

Could anyone else reply of similiar noises they heard on there bikes. They don't have any used bikes there to test drive and compare. I understand noises are tough to describe,but I tried

I'm going there tomorrow if I got time and talk with the tech

thanks......

S

·
0 Posts
Well they do tap a bit but it's not valves rather it is the fuel injectors. The clutch does normally make some noise also and it is easy to diagnose - just pull in the clutch and if it quiets down then that is it. This is normal and on most bike unnoticeable due to louder exhaust and / or other gear noises. Problem is the wing engine is to quiet in most respects.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't know , sounds normal if it was a GM vehicle...The famous piston slap...

Mine does it as well, sounds like valves, I have the warranty so I am not worried, I just change the oil every 5 k. Try changing oil with Amsoil. If it still bugs you let the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not the injectors,noise is much louder . I can hear the injectors clicking away, but they are quiet compared to my what I'm hearing

sounds like a lifter is about .010-.015" over spec

I was just wondering if anyone had similiar concerns and had them fixed

·
Registered
220 Posts
runman: I have an 05 with about the same milage and I do not hear anything like what you are discribing. I'd say "No" this is not normal. Good luck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Someone posted a warning, a while back, about the exhaust header bolts coming loose/breaking after the frame recall was done.

Could you have an exhaust leak at one cyl under load?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
noise has the characteristic of a exhaust leak,but sounds too metallic.I'd love for it to be a loose bolt and don't want this engine torn down.There Wing man at the shop said he's heard many with valvetrain noise on the left side

The guys at the shop are pretty helpfull(I wish it was driven longer though)They gave me the number to Honda and suggested to have a rep drive so I'm trying to schedule so they can listen

If anyone is close to Waukesha Wisconsin and would like to listen,let me know

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Engine, trany, drive shaft and rear end noise hunt.
At opp./temp. place bike on center stand and with side covers and seat
removed run engine under load useing brake(s). Have several
friends on hand to listen. galewing

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, but it's not pre ignition. It's the same sound as a weak hydraulic lifter,weak spring or just a solid lifter way out of adjustment

Having a dyno would make things alittle easier

to me, I'd bet something with the left head

I've tried all octanes,only thing changed was my pocket book

couple of months ago, I checked valve clearance,first cylinder on left side exhaust was at .010" all others were at.008" (released chain tension)minor, but I replaced a shim to get them all the same,dumb me never thought at the time to feel valve springs for tension

It's not a torsional rattle caused by lugging the engine either

"easy" throttle going through the gears and you hear it(starts coming in at 1200, then stops once you hit about 2000 rpm)

maybe I should find the source myself,but I've got my own things to fix

Sometimes the noise isn't there,sounds perfect, but thats rare

I've also have used BG 44 in the fuel for several tanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Noise

Hey Guys
I have an 06 with 10K on it and I had the same kind of noise and my husband said it sounded like a bearing in the alt but I said it sounded like water boiling and so we looked up the flow pattern and the water pump is right there by the alt. So he burped the bike and filled the coolant and it has gone away.

Marie

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm going to pick the bike up and take to a Honda store that works on many more wings than this place.The first words that came out of this new place service writer after I described the noise was alternator gear drive maybe. (I don't have a rattle,but maybe being fooled?)

I've heard others comment about map pocket hinge problems here,I was charged a fee to repair mine ,they stated adjustments aren't covered'I asked what's there to adjust? Also was charged the time they drove it 4 miles,time on the phone to honda and inspection. They stated I was only charged half the time tech had into this

this post is getting old,so I'll quit until the bike is fixed or trade it for a new one maybe white or yellow

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
Snce you checked your valves, I assume you checked the torque on your camshaft bearings -- hope one is not loose. But, I agree with Fred on both of his posts. Your first complaint really does sound like carbon on a poston top or combustion chamber and it happens on thise bikes - or some of them.

My bike has your second noise; the alternator drive gear rap. I was afraid it was excessive end play in the main bearings -- it hammers that way when you are slow cruising in third or higher gear. Its been that way sinc new and has not worsened - as long as that little retainer clip holds it should be good to go. I tought they changed that gear drive arrangement in '06 though..

On the first noise, just for kicks, experiment with one tank of high octane. Higher octane is not the cure and can be the casue of excess carbon, but just as a one shot deal check that out with a tank load or even half tank load.

Do report back!

prs

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
You have an 04 still under warranty and they charged you for that stuff? You gotta be kidding me! If that other dealer finds the problem, you need to take your reciept back and get your money refunded. That bullshit in my book.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Noise

I once had a noise I could not find "for a while". I took a small tape recorder and tape the mike to differant points and went for a ride until I found the source. You can also play the tape back at slow speed to really understand what the nois is.

Bing

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Binge, I like your suggestion. What brand recorder do you use?
One that will allow slow play? (Hearing loss) galewing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts