GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an experience electrician and I have now installed the '04 lighted handlebar controls on 2 GL1800's. It is a needed addition to the '01-'03 Goldwings and it can be done. Now you can have the real thing! Not a stick on piece to light your controls.
'04 lighted handlebar controls and installtion $750.00
Contact Lance @ [email protected] or respond here if you have questions.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Would you care to share the schematics?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Not enough time ...

Translation: "I have a secret that can make me money and to spend time to disclose that secret would jeopardize that monopoly"?

I know, I am a Hippy ... ;->

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree it would be nice to know how to do this myself. I wouldn't mind paying the money for you to do it for me, but I don't think you want to drive up to PA to do it for me. And I don't want to drive down to you to have it done either.

Rob Hatfield

·
Registered
74 Posts
750.00 ! OUCH!!!! RIVCO'S - 120.00 more or less.

Reckon I can put up with the "stick-ons" and still have 630.00 left over.

:lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uncle Harry

It just depends on your individual needs/ wants/ priorities and the quality that you demand for your bike.
The lighted controls cost alot more from Honda than purchasing the Rivco and there is quite abit more involved when installing them on your Goldwing.
But, there again, it is an individual decision.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The 750 quoted here includes the labor. The cost of the original parts I beleive is about 300 to 350.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct about the cost, they are about $ 350. The top shelter, the whole front fairing,and the speedometer has to be removed. The '04 wiring harness has to be reconfigured ( which took alot of time to figure out) to match the '01-'03 wiring. It took me approximately 10 hours for the installation, which is not charging nearly as much as any Honda dealer rate.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Holy handlebar lights! Is that what they cost?
I think I'll go with my idea of maglites velcroed to the sides of my helmet!
:caesar:

G

·
0 Posts
would not mind dishing out $300 or so for the parts if I had the instruction to carry out this task.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
"Sorry, way too much time invovled?"

Mail me your scratch sheet and I'll neaten it up so everyone can share it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hmmm,,,, nothing but SILENCE.

I've got the shop manual for the 03. I don't really want to spend $75 for an 04 manual, but if someone could get me the schematics of the 04 switches (either hard copy by snail mail or electronically by email) - just the portions of the large schematics that show the switches and the plugs; radio, cb, horn, turn signal and starter, cruise, reverse - I'll try come up with the cross connections. If I'm able to, I might put a kit together for a nominal fee, but the schematics will go up right next to http://osbornonline.com/wingcruisecontrol.html , my modification for the 78 mph limit on the GL1500 cruise control (something that no one else was able to come up with in over a decade, if I do say so myself. :D )

·
Registered
824 Posts
DUH, can't we simply remember which switch is which? I've only had my ride for a little over a year, but can pretty well tell where everything is (might make a mistake now and again, but what the hey!) :lol:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Don't need no lights .. she's just like my favorite gal, after you ride her for a while you know where the buttons are that turn her on, .. I mean to push, switch or toggle.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I don't disagree that an actual lighted instrument switch controls on my handlebars as compared to my present Rivco lighted handle bar swtiches is a preferred item, and I have loved spending money on added items for my Wing and gear and such, but the cost differential in this case seems way too extreme for the difference I would receive. I existed quite nicely for 18 months or so and then on a whim first added the E.C. lighted switches and then went to Rivco's, but quite honestly I've been very happy with my results. Yes not as nice, but pretty dang nice as it is.

It's nice to hear of your success, but I think I would prefer to invest that kind of money in a couple of other areas like some PIAA lights and/or an upgraded Russell or Mayer seat or better yet both. Oh yes, and the eventual added auxiliary gas tank I will get.

Glad it turned out good for you though,

DaleC

·
Registered
180 Posts
Got an 03 model with no handlebar switch lights. Just bought switches from an 09 for only $100.00! prices are dropping. I will be posting the process for all to read after I get the switches installed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts