GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding slow in traffic, bike gets hot, sticks in 1st gear. I let it rest for a while and finally got it into first gear but it will not shift into second.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
GAtkins said:
Riding slow in traffic, bike gets hot, sticks in 1st gear. I let it rest for a while and finally got it into first gear but it will not shift into second.
I'm confused.....you say it stuck in first gear, but after a while you got it into first gear.

My first thought is that your clutch fluid is contaminated to the point that it is not fully disengaging. Have you tried changing clutch fluid and bleeding?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Does the shift lever move?? It's not lose is it? Should be a dealer warrenty item I would think.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Is the shift lever stuck? Does the shift lever move up and down as if it is not connected to anything? The latter is a not uncommon problem on other Honda models. The ratchet mechanism on some Honda shifters can get stuck in a position where it does not engage the pins on the shift drum. There is a weak spring that is supposed to return the selector arm back into position where it can grab the pins and rotate the drum. It is my belief that sometimes the oil actually hinders the selector arm from returning and spring cannot overcome the viscosity of the oil. Many Honda's have been taken to the shop, disassembled, no problem found and when reassembled worked perfectly. Sometimes a vigorous working of the shift lever up and down will free the "stuck" selector arm and it will then work fine. I looked at the pictures of the shift mechanism in the service manual and I can see where the GL1800 could have this type of situation. By the way this also happens to Harley Sportsters and a rap on the shift shaft with a plastic mallet often frees the stuck shifting pawls. It is a different mechanism on the Honda. Do not rap the shift shaft on a Honda, many of the shift shafts are held in place with a snap ring and rapping the shaft can force the shaft into the cases and pop the snap ring out of it's groove.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Still within the warranty period, get it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses.

More details: I was stopped in traffic in second gear on a slight incline with the temp. gauge a notch and a half or so below redline.

As I eased the clutch out in an attempt to move, it was like there was no power to the transmission, except at high RPM's and then only a little power. By the time I drove a few blocks to the garage of my office to leave the bike, it had puked a little coolant.

I let it set for about twenty minutes, finally go it into neutral and then into first. Will not shift out of first.

The shift lever is stuck and will not move. The bike is hard to roll even with the clutch engaged while in gear. Starts fine - got a brand new battery the day before.

I am going to try to get it into the deaer today.

I'll let you know what they find.

Any more thoughts? Thanks again.

Glenn

·
Registered
624 Posts
My guess would be that the clutch was slipping, thus causing the heat issue and inablility to motivate. Now, the clutch plates are fried to each other.

I said it was a guess. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final Update:

Clutch was totally fried with metal parts disintegrated everywhere, but confined to the clutch area. No metal in the engine.

Clutch was replaced, engine dismantled to make sure it was OK.

Honda covered the entire thing under warranty and the bikes shifts great.

Glenn

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
GAtkins said:
Final Update:

Clutch was totally fried with metal parts disintegrated everywhere, but confined to the clutch area. No metal in the engine.

Clutch was replaced, engine dismantled to make sure it was OK.

Honda covered the entire thing under warranty and the bikes shifts great.

Glenn
:D Happy Ending

1 - 10 of 10 Posts