GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My O5 wing radio isn't as strong -loud as it once was and there is a pretty high pitched whine now. I have the Edsets in the helmets with zumo 550, XM radio, radar detector and telephone in the helmet. When I first installed most of this in 05 the radio was loud and clear at almost any speed. Now it is weaker. This also includes the dash speakers. It used to work fine on about 15 and now I am running it on 27 to 30 volume. The whine sounds almost like the alternator but it also makes me think that maybe there is a loose connection or a bad filter. Anyone got any ideas as to the problem. It is possible that there is more than on problem. I have new wiring in helmet plus new speakers.
Recently the bike had to go in to Honda for transmission repair but I can't really point at them because I can't remember when this started.
If you are not sure of the moves you can chase your tail and never find the problem.

·
Registered
19,244 Posts
PM LarryM he is the radio guru here

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
There are a couple of possibilities for this. Assuming the noise and lower audio level are all happening with your Aux input, it all relates to a bad audio ground. (which is different than the power ground.) The trick is finding out where the bad ground is.

Possibilites:

1.Dirty contacts on the Zumo or the cradle. Clean them with a pencil eraser, making sure you blow out all the eraser shavings. Also make sure none of the spring loaded pins are stuck down.

2. A bad Zumo cradle. Those cradles go bad quite often, and they do cause squealing and low audio when they go bad. (Replacing it is a last resort.) Try plugging an Ipod or other mp3 player into the aux input and see if that sounds better.

3. Make sure all 3 volume controls on the Zumo are all the way up. Many users don't realize their are two other controls besides the master control. This obviously won't fix the squeal, but it could be the cause of the low audio.

4. If you have the AMB function turned on, turn it off and retest. Leave it off for the duration of your testing.

5.. Is the low audio accompanied by an echo. If so, a bad audio ground connection on the aux line. There are four sources for ground trouble here. The first three are easy. Unplug the 3.5mm mini-phone plug from the Zumo and the one inside the left compartment. Spray a little WD40 on them, and then plug in and unplug them numerous times, rotating them as well.

4. If you have an EC ground loop isolator, remove it and retest. You will have alternator whine, but you will at least be able to test for your symptoms.

5. The last ground is a tougher one. The short aux cable connects under the left pocket to a 3 pin flat connector. That connector can also be a source of trouble.

6. Do you have the intercom on. If so, the mute sensitivity might be set too high. I think lower numbers are less sensitive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts