GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got a thread started on front ends and got good feedback.
Time to start another................
Tell me about rear springs. I want to change the rear spring ONLY, nothing done internal.
Who has done a progressive on the rear and likes/dislikes it. I like the ridea behind the progressive compared to a standard coil spring. I ride one up (225) back and forth to work, but the wife and I ride any other time (425).
I am concerned at how stiff the Hyper pro spring will be little harsh one up.
Please offer you input.
Thanks in advance.
Ray

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ray, a goldwing rear spring is a 900 lb spring, too light for a 900 lb bike plus rider & passenger. Any of the springs you listed, in an 1100 lb weight will give you better results than you have now.

I understand that you don't want to change the shock, but you are planning on doing a lot of work for a demi-buttocked solution. On an 05, your rear shock has given up long ago. Putting a new spring on a worn out shock is kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.. makes the pig look a little bettef, but it's still a pig. For another $400 you can make all that labor mean something. A Traxxion shock is rebuildable, so that is a permanent solution. A Progressive shock also works well, but after about 20K miles, I found out it wasn't rebuildable, :x so I ended up buying another shock.

You should rebuild your acuator while you are there.. fairly easy, and gets you preload effective from zero instead of wherever it is now.. 6 maybe?

Anyway, an 1100 lb spring isn't stiff, it;s what should have been on the bike when it was delivered.

JMHO... YMMV

=Dave=
gWBBA #9

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I replaced my rear spring and front sprngs at about 12,000 miles with Progressive brand. At about 70,000 I replaced again with Traxxion full monty. The OE rear shock and Progressive spring worked very well all that time and was not shot at replacement. The Traxxion rear spring and shock I got in Woodstock seems to be rather wimpy and low rider style in comparison and I asked them to make it as stout and tall as they could.

prs

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I went with the race tech, rated for a 325 lbs rider, ( my wife and I ) and the ride is great, either solo or two up, the suspension actually works instead of bottoming out. I also installed the front springs, and the ride height returned to like it was when it was new, it had sagged about an inch and a half. anything is better than the stock springs rated for about a 175lbs rider.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The Race Tech rear suspension is great. Get the custom built spring. It has steel braided cables and the spring is weight matched. It is a great way to go. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I went with Traxxion rear spring, and purchased a Honda take-off shock from a member of this forum for $50 or $75. Traxxion did the install and they tested the shock before they would use it. Rides GREAT! I dont think I would use the old shock unless you dont have many miles on your bike.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Ok, I got a thread started on front ends and got good feedback.
Time to start another................
Tell me about rear springs. I want to change the rear spring ONLY, nothing done internal.
Who has done a progressive on the rear and likes/dislikes it. I like the ridea behind the progressive compared to a standard coil spring. I ride one up (225) back and forth to work, but the wife and I ride any other time (425).
I am concerned at how stiff the Hyper pro spring will be little harsh one up.
Please offer you input.
Thanks in advance.
Ray

Ray.If your bike has 50K on it,then do yourself a favor and find a new take off rear shock.

I have personal experience with and have installed many a progressive rear springs for customers n friends..

I'd also suggest you test out your settings.
Set the bike on the center stand and turn ign on.
Lower the settings to 0.
Then listen carefully as you now "Increase" the settings,And as soon as you hear a sound pitch change "Let the button go" and see what number you are at on the LCD display?.

Anything above 2-3 and you should refill the actuator reservoir so it starts to labor at 0.

I and my passenger weigh in the same as you.My actuator start at 0.
I run at 8 solo and 12 when I am in a playful mood two up.(My co-rider lets me have a good time too.:thumbup:)

I had a progressive spring/stock shock when I first bought the bike.I alway rode it at 0.
When I met my GF I started to ride the bike at 8 two up.
I then got a good deal on a progressive shock.But I now had to set my preset at 13-18 two up??
The ride was a bit softer,but at a price.I had to add more to stop from bottoming out..WTF??? Expensive shocks are supposed to be better not worse!

Well after working on bikes adding different suspensions and riding them and suffering two rear shock failures.I said Screw these idiot expensive shock companies that think I'm stupid enough to keep pouring money into a defective shock that doesn't hold up over long term and requires rebuilding at a fee is $120 plus every 40-50,000 miles if it doesn't blow a seal first.:shrug:

Then you take into consideration,"Your bike will be down while you or you have the shock removed,and send it in to whoever sold it for a rebuild,and wait until it comes back then reinstall it" For a fee.And you can see that them expensive shocks are nothing more that a Royal PITA!!:wrong:

My Shocks I'm my work truck go through more abuse that a bike than weighs less than a 1/3 of it,and I never blow a shock seal on the truck.
You can't tell me they can't build a better shock than that!:wrong:

So after these failures on my own bike I followed my own advice,and tossed that POS Progressive expensive shock out and Put in a trike take off w/progressive spring.

Now I's riding at 8 solo,13 two up hitting the twistys hard and no bottoming out.
Now when I get to 50K.I'll pull the shock and put in another spare take off shock in all of 2 1/2 hours from start to finish.Because I won't have to send a shock in for rebuilding..LOL
I can get take off shocks for $30-$40 either here or fleabay.I keep a couple handy for myself or customers. :thumbup:

So do yourself a favor and get a fresh rear shock and spring.

I like progressive because you don't have to pay an additional $20 for a spacer.To me that spacer take additional spring/shock travel away before it starts to coil bind.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rocky,
I think you have swayed me into a progressive rear spring setup... Do you use Progressives for you front forks as well ???

I used the OEM dampers with Progressive springs on my ole GL1200 and used 15wt oil too... Came up with a fantastic rear suspension... Looking to accomplish the same on my 1800...

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky,
I think you have swayed me into a progressive rear spring setup... Do you use Progressives for you front forks as well ???

I used the OEM dampers with Progressive springs on my ole GL1200 and used 15wt oil too... Came up with a fantastic rear suspension... Looking to accomplish the same on my 1800...
Ed .That was the first thing I added to this bike because of how well they performed with my 12 & 1500's.

I use 10 wt oil as I found the 15 &20 wt's to heavy in that they made the bike to firm.it's hard to believe that a 5 wt difference can be felt,but trust me it can and does effect what the rider feels through the bars.

Again I like the progressives because they are the same length as stock springs and don't require longer spacers with them.A straight rate fork spring to me is stagnant.I like the suspension to absorb bumps on the upper end of the spring coils and tighten up if I have to get on the binders suddenly on the tighter wound coils.

But everyone likes different things.I guess I am lucjky in that I get to ride a lot of bikes that are set up differently instead of only going from stock to just one expensive set up.

Knowing what I know now,If I had to set up a bike from the start.I'd go with Race Tech set up front and a progressive spring/stock shock.
Race Tech offers more adjustibility if you don't mind tweaking it to suit what YOU like.Once there all you do is normal fork services down the road.No cartridges to rebuild etc.:thumbup:

Having someone set up fork to suit you is a crap shoot at best-way to many variables to know what you the rider will end up liking.

When I rode two different full Traxxion bikes vs my full Progressive set up.I liked the Progressive set up better,and you know what I did to rectify that issue.

But for a really decent handling bike vs stock-Progressive springs F&R are the way to go to me.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Rocky,

Rocky installed a stronger spring in my bike, and the ride improvement was very noticeable. I no longer bottom out on big bumps, which makes things a lot for comfortable for the co-rider as well as the rider. I also have progressive springs in the front. The SO is a big fan of the new spring I think we come in at about 350# between the two of us. The new spring along with making sure the actuator was starting at 0(it was starting at 11) was just the ticket. It was a huge improvement. A lot of bang for the buck. I'd highly recommend it!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I went with a trike take off OEM shock and Progressive rear spring. You will need a spring compressing tool if you do it your self. I have one I will loan if needed.

Spend $400 for a traxion then you get one that may or may not leak and has to be rebuilt. I ran my OEM rear shock 86,000 before I changed it out including a trip to and all over Alaska. I have never heard of a OEM shock leaking I am sure some have.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
rocky,But for a really decent handling bike vs stock-Progressive springs F&R are the way to go to me.. .
i used them at first then traxxion, now i use hyperpro , i like them the best . some are stuck on things that are advertised the most , like k/n filters my fz6r is hyperpro equipped :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Just a week ago, I installed a Progressive rear spring on a new OEM take-off rear shock. I've had Progressive front springs w/10wt oil in for about 6 months. I like the way it feels now. Time will tell.

·
Registered
985 Posts
rear shocks

great advice Rocky, Thanks

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Traxxion is good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts