GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a Facebook page I belong to, a person posted that they had received the newest official update but was unhappy about the update being several years behind. I already knew about that based on the mapset version posted on the official page.

However I asked him if the firmware was updated as well. I asked him to check in his system info. He reported back that it showed he had 5.10 which would be newer than the 4.90 I currently have. So I would like to make a request. Can anyone that has gotten the newest GL1800 update on the Compactflash cards for 06-08 copy the
gupdate.gcd file on there and upload it? Seeing that this is going to be the last update that Garmin will release for the 06-08, I assume this is also going to be the final firmware that they release as well...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi pwhoever,

Any luck locating the new 5.10 firmware?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PM sent to both and firmware no longer needed. Thanks...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks guys. v5.1 upgrade went smooth. No issues.

tyrone

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have an 06 and would like to attempt to transfer the latest zumo 660 maps to the bike navi.

Would someone be able to send me the most recent firmware?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw in another thread that mrprez provided a link for you. But just for clarification, you cannot just transfer the maps from your Garmin over to the 06 Navi. It is a little more involved than that. You need to create a custom mapset as the mapset on your Garmin is going to be too large and your 06 will not recognize it. And you will also have to "unlock" the custom mapset in order for your 06 navi to be able to read it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I saw in another thread that mrprez provided a link for you. But just for clarification, you cannot just transfgger the maps from your Garmin over to the 06 Navi. It is a little more involved than that. You need to create a custom mapset as the mapset on your Garmin is going to be too large and your 06 will not recognize it. And you will also have to "unlock" the custom mapset in order for your 06 navi to be able to read it.
Thanks. You most likely saved me some frustration.
I’ll have to do some research.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not too complicated but you need a card reader/writer for a blank CompactFlash card and either Basecamp or Mapsource on your computer. When you run Garmin Express, make sure to also install the map update to your computer. Then use either Mapsource or Basecamp to select the regions you want and then transfer the newly created mapset to your blank CompactFlash card. You have to make sure that the size of the custom gmapsupp.img that is created is less than 2gb. He final thing is to unlock the new gmapsupp.img using an unlock program like gimgunlock. It is available here:https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimgtools/downloads
I suggest the latest 0.03 version. Then unzip that in the Garmin folder on your newly created Compactflash card and drag the gmapsupp.img file onto the gimgunlock.exe file and let it do its thing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's not too complicated but you need a card reader/writer for a blank CompactFlash card and either Basecamp or Mapsource on your computer. When you run Garmin Express, make sure to also install the map update to your computer. Then use either Mapsource or Basecamp to select the regions you want and then transfer the newly created mapset to your blank CompactFlash card. You have to make sure that the size of the custom gmapsupp.img that is created is less than 2gb. He final thing is to unlock the new gmapsupp.img using an unlock program like gimgunlock. It is available here:https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimgtools/downloads
I suggest the latest 0.03 version. Then unzip that in the Garmin folder on your newly created Compactflash card and drag the gmapsupp.img file onto the gimgunlock.exe file and let it do its thing.

Thanks Mike for the guidance.

This is not the kind of project I could figure out on my own.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was able to complete all the updates thanks to everyone’s detailed help. ??

One more question though. When I search for POI using the spelling option, it no longer works.
I can scroll through the list to see what’s close, but not spell them.

Is this something that’s still possible?

If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks again, Greg

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to complete all the updates thanks to everyone’s detailed help. ??

One more question though. When I search for POI using the spelling option, it no longer works.
I can scroll through the list to see what’s close, but not spell them.

Is this something that’s still possible?

If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks again, Greg

Unfortunately that is one of the limitations when making your own custom updates. You can still search by address and then when you save the found address, it should give you the option to put a name to it to make it easier to find later. I will usually use my smartphone to search for a destination and get the address. The other option which I refuse to do is to put the old OEM data card back in and your POI search will work correctly as long as the POI was already there with the previous data.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Unfortunately that is one of the limitations when making your own custom updates. You can still search by address and then when you save the found address, it should give you the option to put a name to it to make it easier to find later. I will usually use my smartphone to search for a destination and get the address. The other option which I refuse to do is to put the old OEM data card back in and your POI search will work correctly as long as the POI was already there with the previous data.
I had the feeling that that was the case.

At any rate, I will enjoy my updated maps.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But after thinking about it,I just figured out an easy solution as long as you still have an OEM card and the newer the better. Put the old card into your Navi, turn the bike to on or acc, and then you will be able to search POI's. My card is labeled 2013 and IIRC, the maps and data are from 2011 or so. Once you have found the POI you are searching for, save it as a favorite. I just did this and searched for Walt Disney World. Once it is saved as a favorite, tun bike off, then put in your custom card and turn bike back on or to acc. Get into find favorites. Either search by name or closest and just scroll through. When I did it, there was Walt Disney World under favorites. All I had to do then is route to it. It was way too easy and dont know why I didnt think about it before...

·
Registered
19 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I just bought a very nice low mileage 2006. Can someone please give me a link and instructions for latest firmware only? Ty

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just bought a very nice low mileage 2006. Can someone please give me a link and instructions for latest firmware only? Ty
[/QUOTE]
I just sent you a PM...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts