GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I use the card out of my Garmin 196 in the Honda unit and the Honda card in my 196? My garmin has v.8 on it. Also what size is Honda's card. Will all of City Navigator v.8 fit on it?
Thanks Richard

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Your post is a little confusing...but

I think the CF card in the Honda Nav unit also has the software on it, so I would guess not....

I wish we could remove the card and download routes ETC on it and re-install it with our info from the PC...

Maybe Honda will upgrade to this, then again :?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my answer is no. it is 2 diffrerant cards. Has anybody bought a new sandisk card and installed version 8 of mapsource on it? Would you have to put the other 2 files on that card? Thanks Richard

·
Registered
366 Posts
Cherokee32N,
Has anybody bought a new sandisk card and installed version 8 of mapsource on it? Would you have to put the other 2 files on that card?
You can load a CN NA 8 "image" on a fresh CF card (SanDisk, PQI and TranSend brands have been used successfully) for the the Honda '06 GL-1800 NAV unit. No other files need to be installed on the CF card.

BUT...without an unlock code from Garmin you will not be able to use the card in the Honda NAV unit...! A buddy of mine and I worked on the technique to use CN NA 8. At that time, he simply called Garmin and was issued an unlock code. He is running it successfully on his '06.

Unfortunately, even though Honda has made no effort to offer an upgrade for the (now) 2-year old map data in the Honda NAV unit, Honda (NA or Japan) "slammed the door shut" on Garmin Tech Support issuing unlock codes for the Honda NAV unit. IMO, a very inconsiderate attitude on the part of Honda, eh?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Any compact flash card will work, I don't know what the 196 card is , if it's compact flash or not, I bought a 2 gig off e-bay for $35.00 or 40.00 it is generic and works fine, just load version 8 onto it leave the old file on the card with the old unlock code on it with a copy and paste I thought you needed the new unlock code also not trueI installed version 8 mapset on the card, used the old unlock code file on the new card, fired it up and works excelent,
The card only has mapset maps and unlock code nothing else, some folks think the firmware is here it is not , nor are the honda shop locations they are in the firmware in the unit memory itself you won't loose them either.
any problems email Me I'd be glad to help, Merry Christmas

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cf card

Upssnowman Thanks for the reply. My 196 card seems to be a Garmin used only card it is small. I got me a new 2gb cf card yesterday. If I understand right copy & paste my old unlock code on the new card. Then download Ver.8 of City Navigator onto the card. Did you follow the instruction in Honda,s GPS book about starting the gps then plug the card and let it download
I checked my original card it had 3 files The unlock file, the map file, then a file i don't know what to do with on the new card.
it says :
gupdate.gcd
GCD FILE gcd
Do i need to keep this file or delete on my new card?
Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS Richard

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I just checked My original card it was a copy of how it came new on a 2006, it had 2 files inside the Garmin file , it was a file called (GMAPSUPP) which contained the maps set, and (GMAPSUPP) which contained the unlock code, and no I didn't even read the book from Honda on how to do it , on the new card create a new file on it called Garmin and inside it add these two files listed above exactly the code that came with the bike, I know this doesn't make sense you think you need a new unlock code but You don't I did created one needlessly.
just put the new maps into the one file using a card reader and writer, then just pop the card back in fire it up and it works, any more problems please ask.
also you really don't have to buy a new card just copy a backup of original onto a computer to save it and then erase it and use the one that came with the bike. snowman.... understand this is for the 06 or 07 wing setup to update navi to version 8

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
upssnowman what software version was on your original card. The shows ver. 4.00. My GPS shows 4.10 I wonder my third file ( gupdate ) is a software update or map update? Thanks again Richard

·
Registered
119 Posts
e98x09 said:
You can load a CN NA 8 "image" on a fresh CF card (SanDisk, PQI and TranSend brands have been used successfully) for the the Honda '06 GL-1800 NAV unit. No other files need to be installed on the CF card.

BUT...without an unlock code from Garmin you will not be able to use the card in the Honda NAV unit...! A buddy of mine and I worked on the technique to use CN NA 8. At that time, he simply called Garmin and was issued an unlock code. He is running it successfully on his '06.

Unfortunately, even though Honda has made no effort to offer an upgrade for the (now) 2-year old map data in the Honda NAV unit, Honda (NA or Japan) "slammed the door shut" on Garmin Tech Support issuing unlock codes for the Honda NAV unit. IMO, a very inconsiderate attitude on the part of Honda, eh?
Just got off the phone with Garmin and you are correct, Honda stopped Garmin from giving out any more unlocking codes. Garmin tech support said there was problem with the upgrades. IMO Garmin was told to say that. I have a few other words but that would not be proper on here.

Everything I have read states you need the unlocking code to enable the upgrade and yet one person says you don’t. Not sure how that works.

I love the integrated look, but sometimes I find myself sorry for spending the money on it for some of the reasons previously posted on this site. Thanx for reading as I needed to vent.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
still not having any luck . Even tried loading old card on new card and it still says cannot unlock maps Richa

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Cherokee32N said:
still not having any luck . Even tried loading old card on new card and it still says cannot unlock maps Richa
Hey Richard,
I note you just joined the board. What year is your Wing?

I went and bought a 2gig CF card today.
I pulled the original CF from the NAV unit.
I loaded the card into a hard disk.
Directory name on CF card:
GARMIN
Files in GARMIN directory:
gmapsupp.img---1,605,184 KB--Image Files---9/12/2006 5:39PM
GMAPSUPP.UNL------------1 KB--UNL File-------no date shown
gupdate.gcd-----------3,219 KB--GCD File------9/12/2006 5:17PM

I made a new GARMIN directory on the new CF card.
I copied the three files to the new GARMIN directory.

I inserted the new CF card in the NAV and got the same
(cannot unlock maps) message you did.
If you have an 07 also, this may mean they have made changes to
prevent the updates the other folks have been doing.
DC

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally had to get my second unlock code. Had to call Garmin just because the town that I live in was said not to be a town. Normal response, but fixed the INTERNET for me. Then went online ans everything is good so far for ver 8

Richard

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Cherokee32N, My original version was version 7 mapset I upgraded to version 8, I'm surprised the update did not work here is the process I used,
I had a 2610 unlocked for only the 2610 for version 8, here is the deal you can unlock 2 garmin units for one unlock code garmin does not need to give you this it can be done on the net with your account at Garmin.
go to your garmin account click unlock second unit when it asks for the type of unit it will ask for the unit serial number turn on the unit on the bike and enter the unit id number listed there, the serial number can also be used but you have to undo the 5 screws that hold the unit in the trunk and open the case up three screws holding unit in there the serial number is on the back bottom side of unit, I put mine on a label outside of case for navi unit for future reference.
after you have the unit id number enter it on the garmin page to unlock a second unit it will give you an unlock code with a description of unit type as unknown, enter this unlock code into mapsource, and then load mapset onto card as previous described, along with the actual old files that were on card , you see what I think is there is a hidden file that is recorded when you enter the unlock code into mapsource and the navi unit on bike looks at this hidden file and will allow maps to unlock.
So see guys you have to already have the version 8 maps set up for another garmin unit use the second unlock option get a unlock code, enter this into mapsource ect. it works I've done it I have it ,
I hear the 2007 has the same firmware version as My 06 my 2006 firmware version is 4.10 , this is not the mapset version which is version 7 that came with the bikes, I updated maps to version 8.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As has been said by others and also confirmed by me - Honda has shut the door on Garmin giving out unlock codes.

It may be possible to unlock CN8 through mapsource using the Serial number on the GPS unit on the bike. I am unable to confirm this since I was able to get the unlock code from garmin - consequenly it would not be a valid test for me to do it.

Charles

·
Registered
291 Posts
I apologize I did not answer your original question.

The memory card in the GPSMAP 196 will not fit in the Honda Navi and vis versa. The 196 is the propriatary Garmin memory card while the Honda Navi is a commerical (sandisk) Compact Flash card.

Sizes the Garmin propriatary goes to 512MB but only some units can use it common sizes are 256MB, 128MB and 64MB. The Compact Flash cards go beyound 8GB but the entire USA and Canada data is less than 2GB so a card larger than that would not have an advantage. As an experiment I used a 8GB card but there was no difference between it an the 2GB card.

All of CN8 will fit on a 2GB Compact flash card.

As has been said by others and I Honda has closed the door on Garmin giving out the unlock code for the Honda. It may be possible to unlock the CN8 using the S/N on the bike but I cannot confirm that since I got the unlock code from Garmin prior to the door shutting and it would not be a valid test.

One of the posts said that Garmin said that there was a problem with CN8 - I agree with the person I think honda told them to say that. I have been using CN8 on the wing for almost a year and there has not even been a hint of a problem.

As an aside the Honda Navi contains only two files the Maps and the unlock code for CN7. The operating software is not on the card.

Speaking with Garmin the Honda Navi has capabilities similar to the 2xxx and 7xxx series but Honda has limited it to very basic functions.

Charles

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dream Catcher said:
Is there someone with an 07 that would email me the gupdate.gcd file please?

dave at dandmbr dot co dot uk

obviously replace the at and dots with appropriate symbols.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Burger , what is it your trying to say, lost Me on the replace with....
did you loose this file?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Burger said:
Dream Catcher said:
Is there someone with an 07 that would email me the gupdate.gcd file please?
dave at dandmbr dot co dot uk
obviously replace the at and dots with appropriate symbols.
Thanks,
Hey Dave,
It's in your mailbox by now. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
322 Posts
I tried yesterday without success. I have a Garmin 2720, and got a second unlock code from Garmin but unfortunately the 2720 I have is delivered with City Navigator NT and the NT version can’t be used in the Honda Unit, so be careful not to lock you second unlock code to a unit which use the NT version of the map system.

Poul
07 navi/airbag

1 - 20 of 26 Posts