GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Did you guys check for hidden files on the Garmin memory? Maybe they did that. They might have keyed the software to the memory id, too. Do a hex search in the files for whatever the memory id is and if found, change it to the new memorys id.

David M.

·
Registered
244 Posts
upssnowman said:
Burger , what is it your trying to say, lost Me on the replace with....
did you loose this file?
Hi,

I wanted to see this gupdate.gcd file and Dream Catcher has sent it to me... thanks. I didn't lose mine, I never had it. My navi is at 4.1 and the 2007's are at 4.2 and so I want to see if I can work out from the update file what they changed (and how they did it). The replace was in reference to my email address.

Regards,

·
Registered
244 Posts
POUL said:
I tried yesterday without success. I have a Garmin 2720, and got a second unlock code from Garmin but unfortunately the 2720 I have is delivered with City Navigator NT and the NT version can’t be used in the Honda Unit, so be careful not to lock you second unlock code to a unit which use the NT version of the map system.

Poul
07 navi/airbag
I do say on my blog NOT to use the NT maps. Sorry you didn't get to read that first before trying.

Now, I made the same mistake when I first got my Goldwing last year and a phone call to Garmin solved the problem. They removed the second unlock code from my NT maps and then I bough the non NT maps and updated my system.

Regards,

·
Registered
244 Posts
David M. said:
Did you guys check for hidden files on the Garmin memory? Maybe they did that. They might have keyed the software to the memory id, too. Do a hex search in the files for whatever the memory id is and if found, change it to the new memorys id.

David M.
I can't comment to the 2007's yet, but certainly Garmin were not this sneaky on the cards issued with the 2006's running Nav SW Vers 4.1.

For example, my original card was supplied with a .unl file on it that contains the original unlock code. Despite the fact I used the units serial number to unlock mapsource on my PC and therefore got a different unlock code, I have never replaced the original .unl file or the code in it on the card and I've never had to. The only file I've ever replaced is the gmapsupp.img file and only through mapsource. Therefore, there is nothing tying the gmapsupp.img file to the units unlock code.

I would be amazed if this was any different on the 2007 models.

I suspect those users with a 2007 could remove the gupdate.gcd file and the units would still work. (Anyone care to try that?). This gupdate file is the standard method that Garmin use to update their nav systems. It's read once and then never used again.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Burger. there is no file directly connected on the card but,if the unlock code for the Honda unit is not in mapsource when you load in to the card the new version 8 maps,
then when you put the card in the scooter it won't work, there must be a hidden file in the mapset that connects the maps unlock to the unit id or serial,
yes you don't have to change the unlock code file on the garmin, the old one is fine but the new unlock code must be in mapsource.
snowman

couple post back nt version does not work!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
upssnowman said:
Burger. there is no file directly connected on the card but,if the unlock code for the Honda unit is not in mapsource when you load in to the card the new version 8 maps,
then when you put the card in the scooter it won't work, there must be a hidden file in the mapset that connects the maps unlock to the unit id or serial,
yes you don't have to change the unlock code file on the garmin, the old one is fine but the new unlock code must be in mapsource.
snowman

couple post back nt version does not work!!
Interesting, thanks. I'll make sure the info on my blog is updated too. I just erased the gmapsupp.unl file from my card and the nav system still worked perfectly so I have to assume you're right. The 'real' unlock code or something must be in the map set tying it to my navi system.

Great info, thanks.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts