GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 with an extended warranty. During our string of 100+ degree days I have noticed the smell of a coolant leak. It is not bad enough to make it to the ground yet. It happens when I have been on the road for a while, then park the bike and come back to go again. Seems to happen when the bike is really hot...then sits. I keep the coolant topped off. It is minor, very seldom have to add more than a few ounces.

Question is this. Is it covered under extended warranty? Do I have to wait until it gets really bad...visual... to get it fixed?

Thanks,

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes it is under warranty.
Do not wait until you can see it, it will be a big problen then.

It is a y connection in the middle of the bike. Honda already knows about the problem.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Seeing it is covered under warranty,and the GL1800 has many hoses on the bike.It's better to have the bike pressure tested to see where the leak (s) are coming from at a dealer.

Yes it is under warranty.
Do not wait until you can see it, it will be a big problen then.

It is a y connection in the middle of the bike. Honda already knows about the problem.
Not so fast Randy.(lol).Here is more places where coolant is known (mine was here too) to leak from.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148972

·
Registered
922 Posts
Maybe you have too much coolant and it blows out when hot. Most leaks I have heard about is when it is cold and a clamp or two is loose, at least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If it leaks when it is cold,it will surely leak when it is hot. However, it can leak when hot and under pressure and not leak when it is cold and sitting. It will leak until the pressure has subsided. Never seen a cooling system leak when it is cold and stop when the system was pressurized. Thus the pressure test.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If it leaks when it is cold,it will surely leak when it is hot. However, it can leak when hot and under pressure and not leak when it is cold and sitting. It will leak until the pressure has subsided. Never seen a cooling system leak when it is cold and stop when the system was pressurized. Thus the pressure test.
If you search coolant leak on the tech board, most coolant leaks are in the winter. They show up when the bike is started when the bike is cold, pressure is builds before hoses are hot, or when the bike is turned off and hoses cool down while there is pressure in the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts