GL1800Riders Forums banner
201 - 220 of 287 Posts

· Vendor
23,408 Posts
Another thought. If it worked before the air filter was replaced, then the first suspect would be the harness around the airfilter has one of those internal solder connection splices that is bad, or one of the connectors that was taken off has a problem. You might try wiggling all the harnesses in that area (with the key on) and see if you can get the FI light to flash on.

· Registered
4,821 Posts
Another thought. If it worked before the air filter was replaced, then the first suspect would be the harness around the airfilter has one of those internal solder connection splices that is bad, or one of the connectors that was taken off has a problem. You might try wiggling all the harnesses in that area (with the key on) and see if you can get the FI light to flash on.
Sure sounds like a man made problem. Bad connection, bent pin in one connector or connector hanging loose.
Start at square one and inspect everything that was done previously before the problem started.

· GL1800 Doctor
22,147 Posts
Maybe the ECM isn't getting good power or ground. Kill Switch?
That’s just it, this one has good power and good grounds, all 5 of them. He back probed the ECM connectors and checked for power on both wires that feed it and he did a continuity check of the ground wires and the power and grounds all check good.

· GL1800 Doctor
22,147 Posts
Has he checked the bank angle sensor?
He bypassed it. Since it supplies the ground for the FI/Ignition relay and we are getting power out of the relay and all the way to the ECM, it has been ruled out. Most of the simple stuff has been covered or checked, that’s why my hair is really falling out… The missing VCC that runs the sensors is a clue, but to what we don’t know yet. I’m currently waiting to see what the measurements to ground from the VCC and the sensor ground loop read. They should both read nearly open circuit with the ECM unplugged
Has he checked the bank angle sensor and/or for power on pin A23 of the ECM?
Yes, and B3 in the other connector, both read good with the ECM connected.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Hi, Everyone good evening! Thank you so much for your help.
Just got backed home. Really busy day. Even I don’t have time to look at my phone. There’s drizzling all day in New York. As I am a New York transit bus driver. I have to drive a city bus from uptown to downtown two round trips with cough and weak.

· Registered
4,179 Posts
It might be worth the time to unplug every connector that gets unplugged during an air filter change and photograph the connector pins and sockets and post them here.

In my previous life building space hardware we did just that. I can’t begin to tell you how frequently you could identify defects in a picture that a human eye would miss looking at the hardware. Specifically looking for broken, bent or backed out connector pins or dislodged or backed out sockets.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
It might be worth the time to unplug every connector that gets unplugged during an air filter change and photograph the connector pins and sockets and post them here.

In my previous life building space hardware we did just that. I can’t begin to tell you how frequently you could identify defects that a human eye would miss. Specifically looking for broken or bent connector pins or dislodged sockets.
Ok, I will do it next Saturday. The highest temperature will be 42.

· GL1800 Doctor
22,147 Posts
I have a question: how to check the angle bank sensor use multimeter?
Checking it again would be backtracking. We already know it works or you wouldn’t have power on the black/yellow wires at the ECM. We need the continuity checks to ground of the VCC wire and the sensor ground wire. Refer to post #185.

· Registered
711 Posts
This is my second time changing air filter. Put everything back on,Crank but not start. No Fl light on, no activity of gas pump. Towed the bike to a shop. 3 months later, they still not fixed. I was told ECM was changed, not working. Finally they gave up. Plz help me.
Did you connect ECM with Battery connected ? Is it possible that one of the connectors is damaged ? To change Air Filter you need to mess with a bunch of connectors. I have never experienced this when I did mine. Have checked all fuses ?

· GL1800 Doctor
22,147 Posts
Ok, so the sensor ground loop is not shorted to the system/frame ground. Did you check the yellow/red wire to any of the green ground wires? Check the continuity between the green/red and the yellow/red with the ECM unplugged. What does the resistance read?

201 - 220 of 287 Posts