GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally gotten to the bottom of my intermittent heating of my grips and seat on my 06'. Without going into all the details, in a nut shell, the problem is the 18 pin connector on the wiring harness that plugs into the Heater Control Unit. This is the solid state device which receives a signal from the ECM telling the unit the bike is running, which then pulls in the heater relay that feeds the seperate heating circuits on the bike. The unit is located behind the left saddlebag. If you can work the connector just right and keep it in the right position it works. Put it back in its postion on the bike and it quits working. It feels loose when you plug the module into the connector.

I had another board member contact me by PM with the same kind of problem with his bike. He is convinced it is the module, as was I at first. The dealer is giving him grief about ordering the module $70. I suspect he may have the same problem as me with the connector.

This is the reason I would like to get a new connector and change it out instead of fighting with a dealer about the issue. If anyone knows a source to get the connector, please let me know. Otherwise, I will have to take to the dealer and fight out the problem. At least I have narrowed down the issue, so they will not have to destroy the bike trying to find the problem. Intermittent electrical problems can be a bear to find.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I hope if anyone else is having this type of problem, this may save them a lot of time and frustration.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I will put it in with my manual.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just got my 06 back from the shop. The seats and the grips all died at the same time. I checked all the connectors and everything looked fine. I was thinking the module must have died, but what happened was the right grip heater went bad. The dealer says they are all tied together and when one part goes the whole thing goes. Sounds strange to me, but they replace the grip and everything works fine now. Sure sounds like a poor curcuit design to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts