GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been discussed before I apologize. I wasn't able to find any answers so far. :oops:

New 06 Goldwinq (9-06). When I took delivery, the salesman began explaining the controls to the Nav, CB, & radio. As he was doing so, suddenly all of the buttons froze. :cry: He tried punching every button on the console, using the handlebar controls, and turning the ignition off and on, but they remained frozen. :cry: Finally, he turned the bike off and left to get another salesperson to take a look. :? When they returned, they started the bike up and everything worked as it should. :D

I was told it was "user" error and that I needed to fully read the user's guide to learn how to "properly" use the functions. :roll: So I left the dealer with my "new" bike --- got about 5 miles down the road when I heard a "beep" and everything froze up again. :?

Bottom line, I've read the manual 3 times and had the bike in 3 times to have them fix this problem with no luck. :p

It is an intermittent problem. Sometimes I can go for days w/o a problem, then, "beep" and every thing freezes up.

Always happens when the NAV and radio are "on". It doesn't matter if I use the speakers or a headset.

Any thoughts or ideas in a solution for this?

TIA :bow:

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Strange. I have the CD on practically all the time and the NAV on occasionally. Never had a lockup. I haven't tried with the radio though that I can remember. But that doesn't sound right anyway. :?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
William Anzik said:
But that doesn't sound right anyway. :?
Ya think?

:wink:

·
Registered
8,328 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Sounds like something a salesman would say, I.M.H.O. that doesn't make sense. F.Y.I. my '06 has never done anything like that. T.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the radio and the navi on my 06 working together all the time. No button freeze up ever. The way it's supposed to work is the navi voice will blank out the radio for a second or so, then the navi voice comes on, then it goes back to radio. To test this, turn on both radio and navi, then press in the zoom in/out button on the left handlebar control. When you press in this button, the radio cuts out and then the navi voice will tell you how long till your next manuever/turn, etc.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have a 2006 Navi/ABS and I did have my audio buttons freeze up once, not the GPS however. I shut down and restarted the bike and that fixed the problem. If the key being turned off won't re-boot the buttons, maybe disconnecting the battery for a second might do the trick.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
joel3078

I appeciate the input, but this in not the problem I am experiencing.

When the system is working...all pieces of the puzzle work together as they should. I can use the CB, radio, Navi, etc. BUT, along the way, without warning, there will be a "beep" just like the "beep" made when using the console buttons to change from AM to FM, etc., and then, all controls freeze, even on the handle bar.

:cry:

ElBando,

As already stated...sometimes turning the key off works, sometimes not. I can't see unplugging the battery as a fix...

:wink:

·
Registered
484 Posts
You might want to check your state's lemon law. Intermittent electronic problems are a royal pain in the ass to fix. My guess is you have a short circuit, ground loop, bad wiring, etc. type of problem in either the switches, wiring, or the stereo/gps/cb module. In anycase, start your warranty claims now with your dealer. Lemon law is basically the dealer gets 3 tries to fix the same problem. Kinda like baseball, 3 strikes your out. They have to replace the vehicle or refund your money on the purchase of the vehicle. The attorney general in your state will get you the facts and can also track your situation with your dealer. It's a very rare situation but it does happen from time to time. Sucks cause you gotta be paitent while the dealer scratches their left nut trying to fix it. In the mean time, try unplugging only 1 module at a time. CB, CD, GPS, Stereo and see what happens. This can help the dealer with diagnosis. Have them do the unplugging by the way. What the dealer doesn't have is hours of time to drive the bike waiting for the intermittent problem to pop up. You have to work wiht them and may have to do that for them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
joel3078,

Thanks for the ideas...

Problem is that I use my bike to go to and from work every day. I guess that I am going to have to bite the bullet and leave it with them.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hi Jim,

Fellow owner of '06 here. I have never had any of the problems you describe and neither should you.

Make them fix it.

You wouldn't go aviating in an airplane that did that, would you? :shock:

Sorry, I know this sounds flip, but that's not my intention...

Stay safe, and good luck!

Lance

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Themobb,

Whew... scared me there for a minute... :shock:

:lol:

·
Registered
484 Posts
jamcgowan said:
joel3078,

Problem is that I use my bike to go to and from work every day. I guess that I am going to have to bite the bullet and leave it with them.
Jim you lucky *******. Ride every day? It keeps snowing currently were I'm at. This early winter stuff sucks! Do what I did and spend a 500-grand on a cheap ol 80's bike. Yup, I have a spare bike. These old bikes came out of the woodwork and sold like hotcakes when gas hit 3/gallon.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
joel3078 said:
jamcgowan said:
joel3078,

Jim you lucky *******. Ride every day? It keeps snowing currently were I'm at. This early winter stuff sucks! Do what I did and spend a 500-grand on a cheap ol 80's bike. Yup, I have a spare bike. These old bikes came out of the woodwork and sold like hotcakes when gas hit 3/gallon.
Well, I have to ride my GL1800 everyday to justify the costs.

I had a 2004 Harley VROD which I recently sold to help pay for this one so getting another bike right now as a backup is not in the picture. :cry:

Also, I had to convince the wife that getting this bike was a good idea given the gasoline expenditures we were encountering.

Truth is, if I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate in buying another bike! :wink:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well I sold my 2000 Ultra to get the new wing so don't feel bad. I couldn't take anymore of the broken down on the side of the road stuff so I went back to winger world.

G

·
I haven't experienced what you have experienced. However, I've had 2 separate instances where the radio wouldn't work while the GPS was on; however, the GPS continued to work fine. This happened to me yesterday. After I shut the bike off and started it back up after a while, the radio began to work again.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ABook said:
I haven't experienced what you have experienced. However, I've had 2 separate instances where the radio wouldn't work while the GPS was on; however, the GPS continued to work fine. This happened to me yesterday. After I shut the bike off and started it back up after a while, the radio began to work again.
Sounds similar to my problem...maybe related...

Thanks...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
towmoter said:
Have you checked the card in your GPS to see if it is firmly seated?
Thanks for the idea... but, I did indeed check that.

I had headlight & taillight modulators installed on Friday and since then, I've had no problems w/ the audio panel locking up. Maybe they jostled some loose wires or something!?

At any rate, I've been on the road since Saturday and have had no further incidents.

Don't you just love intermittent problems? :?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well,

I had the problem reoccur. I am now wondering if it has anything to do with dust or dirt under the bottons themselves. I read that some others had had their buttons stick "on" due to this which locked up the panel and handelbar switches.

Hummmm...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts