GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I done a bit of 'searching' on my question of how to unplug the tweeter wiring on an '06 Navi model and just cannot for the life of me get the plugs to come 'undone'. I've squeezed, pulled, pushed until my fingers are almost bleeding. Help or suggestions are really, really needed and wanted!
Going back out to the garage and hope when I return some 'angel' will show me the 'way'! Thank you ever so much...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If you can get to it, look at the plug real close, it prob has some type of latch that has to be released before the plug comes apart. I have to look at the one on my '03 for the instrument panel every time I take it off cause I can't remember which way it goes!! LOL I guess I do good just to remember that it has one! :wink:

·
Registered
30 Posts
BruceHarrisJr said:
Hello. I done a bit of 'searching' on my question of how to unplug the tweeter wiring on an '06 Navi model and just cannot for the life of me get the plugs to come 'undone'. I've squeezed, pulled, pushed until my fingers are almost bleeding. Help or suggestions are really, really needed and wanted!
Going back out to the garage and hope when I return some 'angel' will show me the 'way'! Thank you ever so much...
If you figure it out...let me know. I had the same problem when I was wanting to install some Risers. Ended up giving up, taking it to the dealer and paying $20 to have him do it. :roll:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured it out...Dumb Luck on my part!

If you read my initial post you know how frustrated I was earlier this evening. Okay, here I go. First, my bike is an '06 w/audio, comfort, nav/abs. All my comments relate to my bike only. Second, once you have the meter panel released from its various 'prongs' stand on the RH side of the bike and with your RH hand facing you, palm side, extend your index finger straight up, towards the sky with your thumb at a right angle to your index finger. Shaped like an L. Third, gently grasp the 'male' portion of the wiring plug (smallest black square shaped plug) approaching the plug from underneath and place your RH index finger on the 'innermost' side of the plug and your RH thumb on the 'outermost' side of the plug and squeeze your finger and thumb together while pulling the plug out towards the front of the bike. Fourth, congratulate yourself and smile! Fifth, move around to LH side of the bike and do the exact same thing except using your left hand and forming 'backwards' L with your index finger and thumb. Sixth, to remove the large plug located just forward of the ignition key area stand on the LH side of the bike and with a very small flat blade screw driver gently lift the retaining clip up and over the 'hump' and hold it there momentarily. Use a larger and much longer flat screwdriver to gently push the female plug off of its male counterpart.
Seventh, say a prayer to those in need and give thanks to those who've helped you along the way! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was unable to remove the tweeter wires on my '06 meter panel and just bungeed the panel up and out of the way so it was with interest I read your post. I guess I still don't fully understand the process. Pictures, or better yet, line drawings would help.

I know sooner or later I will have to remove that meter panel.
:?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had the meter panel off my 06 yesterday. The tweeter connector under the round rubber weather boot has a little tab located toward the center of the bike that should require just a little sqeeze to release. The one I always have a tough time with is the large connector for the heater controls. Found that if I use a pair of needle nose pliers and go in from the right side of the bike I can sqeeze the lock release located on the top of the connector and pull it apart with one hand. Good luck.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, what the Cakeman said. Just a gentle squeeze and they slip apart. Of course I had to get out a mechanics mirror and flashlight to spot the tab,,,,,,,,,and for the large connector for the heater controls I just slid the whole plug to the right :arrow: off of its post and then unplugged the two halves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts