GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Daytona Beach Dealer today...checked the front shake at 40 mph on cruise control..came back shaking his head..told me that is the worst case he has seen on a goldwing in 9 years...

Pulled the tire..balance not bad..but wheel is crooked...not square...out of round...somehow out of the factory crate. Promptly ordered another new factory front rim, tire, and bearings....

Checked the rear tire...it was a quarter ounce out of balance....run out was ok....balanced and remounted..so hopefully by the end of the week I will have it squared away.

Will post again with new results hopefully it may help fellow members who may have this same problem...thanks for all comments so far....

Dealer advised they will NOT replace any part on the Goldwing that is NOT a honda part..like Progressive Springs and Bearings.just for info....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Basspro said:
Went to Daytona Beach Dealer today...checked the front shake at 40 mph on cruise control..came back shaking his head..told me that is the worst case he has seen on a goldwing in 9 years...

Pulled the tire..balance not bad..but wheel is crooked...not square...out of round...somehow out of the factory crate. Promptly ordered another new factory front rim, tire, and bearings....

Checked the rear tire...it was a quarter ounce out of balance....run out was ok....balanced and remounted..so hopefully by the end of the week I will have it squared away.

Will post again with new results hopefully it may help fellow members who may have this same problem...thanks for all comments so far....

Dealer advised they will NOT replace any part on the Goldwing that is NOT a honda part..like Progressive Springs and Bearings.just for info....
Great... glad you apparently found the problem. As a hint, you probably should have continued this on the old thread so the whole story is in one place. :wink:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Wonder how many bad wheels are causing premature tire wear? Better yet, how many good tire brands are taking it on the chin for bad wheels?

One of those things that make you go hummmmm......

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's times like this that I am glad I have my other scoots. I also have my 04 in the shop (going into a second month) for a transmission or shifting problem.

But you have the advantage of being able to ride some long miles after you get it back!

·
Registered
270 Posts
kg5ie said:
Wonder how many bad wheels are causing premature tire wear? Better yet, how many good tire brands are taking it on the chin for bad wheels?

One of those things that make you go hummmmm......
Replaced Bridgestones at 8,000 miles and had no wobble, tires just wore out.

Put on new set of Metzlers and bike wobbled so bad it was hard to keep on the road.

Replaced them, at 700 miles, with a new set of E3's. No wobble and no problems at 13,000 miles and counting.

Please explain to me how my wheels could be bad?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I brought up the fact that I thought some of the problem might be the wheels and was blown off. Some have changed the front wheel with same tire and no wobble.
To me some of the 40 mph wobble may be normal but what many have reported is not. I think reading alot of these post will tell the story the one thing they did not change or deal with is the wheel.

·
Registered
311 Posts
For what it's worth. Had my front wheel replaced under warranty due to shipping damage, (small gouges). My wobble was reduced but is not totally gone.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Basspro said:
I would have been surprised if they did. Honda would not reimburse the delaer for doing such a thing. During Warranty they will only replace parts with Honda parts - as does any manufacturer.

Reiner

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just curious

Jim Walker or Daytona Fun Machines?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any steering wobbles I have had have been from the back tyre. First Avons, wobbled from start and did the head bearing check till noticed back tyre split and uneven wear, at 2000klm. Second was just time to replace rear tyre. Have always used Bridgestones, except the one time with the Avons. Will not change from Stones anymore after episode with Avons.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim Walker now...Cycle World

Same owner, different name, different location...across the street from the Motorcycle Institute in Daytona Beach...I-95 and 17-92 very big place..lots of bikes.....the Goldwing mechanic there loves Goldwings and has the skinny after working on them for 9 years...

Am happy camper now..but pissed that out of the showroom floor with 8 miles on the clock it shook like a leaf...

Didn't cost me any money...just a few trips to Daytona Beach and some fuel and consternation...all is well now...but will keep an eye on it...for all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts