GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking in my 06 parts book and can not seem to find the mirror sold as a seperate item? I'm looking for a right side mirror as there is a slight scrape in the back of the glass or possibly a crack that has not come through yet.

I'm not ready to pop for a complete assebly as it is not needed. Would anyone know if the 05< mirrors will fit the 06? How the mirror affixed to the mount? Glued? Perhaps I could take it over to a glass shop and have a new one cut?

TIA,
John

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Mirrors...

For some dumb reason (maybe to make more money on a sale) Honda is not offering just the mirror. So here are your options:

Multi-Vex mirrors from EC
http://www.electricalconnection.com/non ... ltivex.htm
01013LH
01014RH HONDA-GOLDWING GL-1800

Buy used from someone that replaced theirs

Muth. (read on….. I find these dangerous)

The Muth and Multi-vex with direction arrows mirrors do pose a safety problem preventing YOU from seeing other cars in the lane next to you when changing lanes. And yes, I have been on a bike with them and the LED’s DO prevent you from seeing vehicles in a critical location prior to changing lanes on top of them. I was reduced to hand signals on this bike as the mirrors became useless when with an active turn signal. I have found it to be a requirement for me to sound my horn whenever I see one of those “In the Glass” LED’s signals. Outside the glass is the only way to put a turn signal in that general area. I do wish that vehicle and aftermarket mirror manufactures were prevented from putting things inside the glass on the mirror as it tends to hide critical objects.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,214 Posts
Just my $.02, I have the Muths and I haven't had any issues with not seeing cars during lane changes. Of course, I have been known to turn my head to see what is beside me instead of relying on my mirrors. :wink:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just did a mirror housing replacement on my 06 (a slight mishap chipped some paint and we can't have that, now can we? LOL), without a manual. Took a little doing to figure out how to get the whole thing off to replace it, but not too difficult.

The mirror part and it's plastic backing assembly simply snaps in and is held in place at the bottom with a screw that goes in from a hole on the under part of the housing. Remove that, push gently on the mirror itself and it comes right out. If you can get a stock mirror somewhere, the operation is easy 8) :D

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
techdude2000 said:
Just my $.02, I have the Muths and I haven't had any issues with not seeing cars during lane changes. Of course, I have been known to turn my head to see what is beside me instead of relying on my mirrors. :wink:
And here's my $.02 as well. We have the blue Muths, & love em'. IMHO, they're worth every penny. No issues here.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
JJR said:
I have been looking in my 06 parts book and can not seem to find the mirror sold as a seperate item? I'm looking for a right side mirror as there is a slight scrape in the back of the glass or possibly a crack that has not come through yet.
If it's an 06, isn't it still under warranty??? Let the dealer fix it!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tfdeputydawg said:
JJR said:
If it's an 06, isn't it still under warranty??? Let the dealer fix it!
The PO did it, he bumped the pod but did not hurt the paint or anything else so that is not a option. From what I have been reading those mirrors are known for easy breakage.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Should be able to find a used take-off easy enough from a board member. Remove the phillips screw under the mirror housing and the glass/plastic will come out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts