GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new Russell Seat. I went to test the seat heater (comfort package original control) and the control would not turn. I don't want to force it as it seems like it will break. Has anyone had this problem and what was the solution?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine did the same thing but I forced it (yea yea I know), seat heater still works but the detents for the control are no longer there, turns free. I plan to take it in for repair and am glad to hear its covered, don't think I will mention the forced part though

·
Registered
483 Posts
I remember reading in a different post on here the passanger seat heat control knob locking up and wouldn't turn. It was from lack of use and was a warranty replace deal. Every know and then, turn that little knob back and forth to keep it freed up. I have to do it myself cause there is only one setting my passenger keep for herself. MAX!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Me too. Locked up & wouldn't budge till I forced it, then warranty time. I'm sure these are all isolated examples.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Before you just force it, try this... Push it and turn. I know it's not meant to push, but try it all the same. They don't freeze through lack of use or any such thing, they actually freeze through being used. What happens is behind the knob there's a sping with a little ball that drops into indents, the off indent is deeper than the rest and so the ball can come out further. Once you've turned the knob a few times and it's moved out just a fraction, the ball can actually become wedged and jams the control. That's why pushing it will help, because it forces the ball back into the tiny tube with the spring if that makes sense. Those of you that just forced it and then found it no longer clicked lost your balls - so to speak :D

I'd be interested to know if the replacements are the same or if they modified the design.

Regards,

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
This is one of the reasons I tell everyone to let OEM Warranty do it's thing. If they get enough complaints (that they have to pay for) they most definitely will go back to the drawing board.

Honda don't like fixing things.

Remember that saddlebag latch fiasco? Everyone was coming up with a fix. Honda Loves you guys.

Bulldog

·
Registered
483 Posts
Freeze up from being used? Hmmmm, that explanation does make more sense. But hey, last time I checked, everything on the internet was the truth so lack of use made sense also. :roll:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Lost my balls also

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it's off to the dealership we go (next spring). I'm with Bulldog on this. I could attempt to fix it myself but if I were to do that and couldn't what's the chances that Honda would not honour the warranty. Besides, it's Honda's problem not mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts