GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at speakers and while talking with Crutchfield about the http://www.crutchfield.com/S-50DIhzuo4L ... &i=108527I
which would of been great as they have a 2" mount depth but found out that the are not really waterproof (but the woofer is made of glass fibre and rubber surround). Also that they were 2 ohm , I did ask the tech at Crutchfield and he said that there would be no problem using them in a 4 ohm system.

The Infinities I still may consider as I never ride my bike in the rain and even when I had my 05 Wing with the Polk DB (dont remember the model) 5" speakers I really never has a problem with those and I did not believe those to be waterproof.

The tech suggested that I go with the
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-50DIhzuo4L ... i=107DB525 as they are waterproof. I have used these exact speakers before in my 03 Ultra Classic and these are quite nice. Question is would they be able to fit in the wing? The mounting depth is 2 5/16 and the tweeter does stick out a little.

So if you have already mounted a aftermarket speaker in your 06 or 07 how much room do you have to play with?

Happy New Year,

John

06 Titamium

·
Registered
705 Posts
I am not sure what the 06 has for speakers regarding ohms. If it is a 3 ohm system like it is on pre-2006 then don't put 4 Ohm car speakers in the bike. Make sure you match the speakers to the system if it was me I would call J & M and talk to them.

If the 06 is a 3 ohm system and you put in 4 Ohm speakers you will not get max performance. Alo in my opinion spending that much money on a speaker for a bike with the wind noise is a waste.

You can get more than adequate output for a lot ledss money

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JimRo said:
I am not sure what the 06 has for speakers regarding ohms. If it is a 3 ohm system like it is on pre-2006 then don't put 4 Ohm car speakers in the bike. Make sure you match the speakers to the system if it was me I would call J & M and talk to them.

If the 06 is a 3 ohm system and you put in 4 Ohm speakers you will not get max performance. Alo in my opinion spending that much money on a speaker for a bike with the wind noise is a waste.

Perhaps you misunderstood, I was speaking of the 4 ohm working just fine in my past 01,02, and 05 Wings. If your off a OHM it aint no bid deal and the Polk Ex 350 sounded great over the stock 01-05 OEM speakers.
When the Polk EX350 were available from Crutchfield they were buy a pair and get one free and they were much cheaper that anything J & M offered. I did use the EX 350 for years without a problem.

I believe that Lewis at Electrical Connection still may have a stash of the EX 350s.
As far as the 06 the 4 OHM speakers will work just fine.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
JimRo said:

Even though the Honda speakers are 3 Ohm, the output IC used in the Honda radio is a common part designed for 4 ohm applications just like all other Japanese car radios. In fact I have never heard of an output IC designed for 3 ohm applications. Using a 4 ohm speaker or higher will work just fine. I wouldn't go to a 2 ohm speaker though because you risk overheating the output IC and blowing it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LarryM said:
JimRo said:

Even though the Honda speakers are 3 Ohm, the output IC used in the Honda radio is a common part designed for 4 ohm applications just like all other Japanese car radios. In fact I have never heard of an output IC designed for 3 ohm applications. Using a 4 ohm speaker or higher will work just fine. I wouldn't go to a 2 ohm speaker though because you risk overheating the output IC and blowing it.
Larry,
WOuld you know if the amp is mosfet? If so ohm should not be a problem. Also were you talking about the 05 down or the 06 radios and up

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LarryM said:
JimRo said:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Very Good John, not too many people know that. I don't know what the output stage is. I never needed to know bad enough to look it up. :lol:

What you are referring to though is the fact that MOSFETS can transfer power more efficiently through a wider range of impedences. When it comes to power output and heat however, the rules are the same for MOSFETS and Bi-Polar transistors.

When a manufacturer selects components for an amplifier he selects a power supply voltage that will allow the amp to be driven all the way up to clipping safely with no damage. In the case of a 12volt system the power supply votage is obviously fixed. So he designs his ouput IC with a specific speaker impedence in mind. If you go below that impedence, you allow the IC to put out more current than what it was designed for. The end result can be a blown output IC, even if the amp never reaches clipping.

That is why I don't recommend using a 2 ohm speaker. The amp can't handle it. Besides that, one of the reasons that you don't see any blown GL1800 radios is that they use a DDL circuit (Dynamic Distortion Limiting.) which I hate. Using a different impedence speaker can create some unpredictable results since the circuit won't work as designed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts