GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 06 today. Sweet ride but from what all the hype I have heard about the radio I still think the stock harley Ultra Classic system sounds better (even though it has less power out put) I had a 03 Ultra and that thing kicked some serious butt with out the extra amp under the trunk.

So the I suspect that even though Mother Honda may have put a kick butt amp in the bike the speakers are low end.

So has anyone updated there speakers yet? and if so with what? Did you do both F&R?

TIA,
John

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Im sure someone will chime in here but I thought Honda went with an entirely diff speaker design. The one who can really shed some light on your question is Lewis at E.C. Send him an email, he can give you the low on whats possible.

Odd to hear you dont think its up to snuff. Up to this Ive heard nothing but praise for the new sound system.

Mine is an 02. I installed EC amp and have gone through a few speakers< polks, and some more exp speakers as well. I finally nailed it down with Focal 4 and 5 inch Polyglass 100 and 130's. They cost a bit running around 225 a set but they are presumed to be some of the best out there for the money.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Did you try messing with the Ambience settings? That and turning up the treble and bass really made a big difference for me. I thought "mother" Honda did pretty darn good. 8)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
William Anzik said:
Did you try messing with the Ambience settings? That and turning up the treble and bass really made a big difference for me. I thought "mother" Honda did pretty darn good. 8)
Yes I tried all the settings and the bass is not right compared to the HD. The Wings stereo is plenty loud but lacking in bass and clarity at higher volumes. It does sound great but it should be much better from what the specks of 80wpc x4 are.

Not starting a war or nothing but my 03 Ultra Classic really put out the bass compared to the wing and seemed much clearer at high volumes and those were only 40WPC x4

I looked in my owners manual on the Wing and could not find the exact specs for the radio or what size speakers it takes. I suspect that a upgrade to Polk or Diamond Audio speakers would make a vast improvement. Just like when I upgraded the stock speakers on my earlier 1800's

John

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
yes the speakers are the weak link

my 02 had better speakers

with the 5.25 inch alpines and xplods in the rear

trouble is the speaker area is too small for any normal speakers on the new design

yes it sounds pretty good, but it shoudl sound way better

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Loren,... To shallow for standard speakers?

on my 02 I went with Focal, arguably the best out there right now but it cost me over 400 for the four so its all at a cost.

My understanding was these speakers were the latest and greatest (OEM) that HOnda installed on the new wings?

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
On the 06/07's, Honda went to a Neo magnet speaker due to spacing depth. Unless you are into carving the bike, there is nothing drop in yet.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Sounds pretty good but like JJR said the bass response is kinda weak. I'd like to tweek that aspect of mine too. Terry

·
Registered
234 Posts
Infinity REAR Drop IN Speakers that work~!!!

Lewis,

I just found a set of Infinity 4 inch speakers that are drop in for the rear of the 06 Airbag Goldwing.....and have large magnets and sound awesome...put Bass blockers in line for the heck of it....too.

They are: Infinity REF 4012I 2 way 4 inch speakers....best buy....79.99, plus tax. Wow I can't believe these little babies sound this great.....the technicians at Best Buy told me these new ones are the best sounding speakers they have every sold....and I have to agree..try em out....

The left vertical post had to be shaved a little for the mount, but the right rear was simply drop in installation. I put some pillow foam around the rear ones and think that may help delivering the sound out front too..

Just for FYI....

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Re: Infinity REAR Drop IN Speakers that work~!!!

Basspro said:
Lewis,

I just found a set of Infinity 4 inch speakers that are drop in for the rear of the 06 Airbag Goldwing.....and have large magnets and sound awesome...put Bass blockers in line for the heck of it....too.

They are: Infinity REF 4012I 2 way 4 inch speakers....best buy....79.99, plus tax. Wow I can't believe these little babies sound this great.....the technicians at Best Buy told me these new ones are the best sounding speakers they have every sold....and I have to agree..try em out....

The left vertical post had to be shaved a little for the mount, but the right rear was simply drop in installation. I put some pillow foam around the rear ones and think that may help delivering the sound out front too..

Just for FYI....
Are they water resistant???

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Infinity - Reference 4" 2-Way Car Speaker w/ Plus One Polypropylene Cones (Pair) REF4012I
105 watts peak power (35 watts RMS); silk dome tweeter; Plus One cone woofer; ceramic midwoofer

Our Price: $83.99

Best Buy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
On the 06/07's, Honda went to a Neo magnet speaker due to spacing depth. Unless you are into carving the bike, there is nothing drop in yet.
I will be watching this thread, I'm ready to carve my 06 for more bass and clarity. I just want to make the right choice the first time.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Will the Infinity's fit in a first generation bike (01-05?)

And are they waterproof?????

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
David M. said:
Will the Infinity's fit in a first generation bike (01-05?)

And are they waterproof?????
The support technician at Crutchfield says no. He recommends the JBL Grand Touring series GTO427 4 inch speaker of the same dimensions and specs that is made of water resistant materials yet he says has great sound quality also. Terry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if they are waterproof, but the materials all appear to be. I just installed the ref 4021's in the rear and the ref 5012's in the front. The rear are a drop in replacement, the front had to stand the speakers off about 1/4 inch so the larger speakers cleared the plastic in the back. Speakers sound great cleaner sound than the stock.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JJR said:
Just picked up my 06 today. Sweet ride but from what all the hype I have heard about the radio I still think the stock harley Ultra Classic system sounds better (even though it has less power out put) I had a 03 Ultra and that thing kicked some serious butt with out the extra amp under the trunk.

So the I suspect that even though Mother Honda may have put a kick butt amp in the bike the speakers are low end.

So has anyone updated there speakers yet? and if so with what? Did you do both F&R?

TIA,
John
All I can say is THAT FREAKING BITES! You dump a lot of dinero to get one of these puppies and your dissapointed. Honda's ads online say that your getting a 80 wpc premium stereo and then then throw in a set of crud speakers. I guess Honda does not like Rock & Roll ;-)

I came from a 03 Ultra Classic (from 05 Wing) with the stock stereo system that freaking cranked, I did update the speakers with the Polks and the bass was excellent (I dont know about rap though)

Then I see the 80WWPC now added on my favorite bike and so I buy one. I like my tunes when I ride, I hope that Lewis is in contact with Polk with a upgrade.

I have not seen a post what the with size of the OEM speakers? I suspect that the speakers are 4 OHM as that is what the tweeter is rated at, perhaps the drivers are also 15w??

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts