GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We checked the speedometer with my wifes car today. It's the same car, we checked the 05 with. The 05 was off by about 5mph. The 06 is only off by 2mph. Maybe Honda is getting better. This is the first GL1800 I've had, that is that close. i.e. 06 Goldwing showing 65mph, & Chevy Malibu showing 63mph. :wink:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'd still be curious what the bike's speedo reads in comparison with a GPS speed reading. The comparison with your wife's car isn't that helpful, since we don't know how accurate the Malibu's speedo is.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I feel my 06 is only 2 MPH off also. And how accurate is the GPS? That could be off by a couple MPH also? I noticed on another post the elevation on the GPS was not 100% on and the poster talked about a + or - of 7 on elevation why not the same for speed?

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Cockleburr said:
... I noticed on another post the elevation on the GPS was not 100% on and the poster talked about a + or - of 7 on elevation why not the same for speed?
GPS's are notoriously not as accurate on elevation as speed. That is the way they are designed. There are some with a barometric altimeter and they have to be calibrated and then they are good for altitude.

Speed is a function of distance and time and can much easier be calculated by the GPSr's. Also, both have variances on the curvature of the earth but again the speed wins out.
I would put money on speed measured by GPS but not on altitude.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Cockleburr said:
I feel my 06 is only 2 MPH off also. And how accurate is the GPS? That could be off by a couple MPH also? I noticed on another post the elevation on the GPS was not 100% on and the poster talked about a + or - of 7 on elevation why not the same for speed?
FYI GPS units are accurate to 1/10 of 1 MPH. In addition I have had several GPS units and the owners manual clearly states the elevation is really not accurate. BTW my 06 checked with my Garmin color Streetpilot III is off 3MPH @75MPH. ie speedo is reading 75 and GPS reads 72. This was when my 06 was new with under 100 miles on it. It now has over 10,600 on the original tires so perhaps with this wear on the tires it has changed some what.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Checked with GPS on 3 dif. days with dif temp etc. 3mph off in the GW speedo vs GPS

·
Registered
569 Posts
Cockleburr said:
I have checked my Garmin Streetpilot III with a moving police RADAR (both in my car and side by side). They were within 1 MPH at all times, and usually were exactly the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts