GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new (gently used) '06 GL1800, and nothing will auto-cancel the turn signals...most of the posts I have read cover issues where SOME things don't auto cancel...so am hoping that this might be an "obvious" answer. Would like to avoid (pointlessly) tearing the bike down to get at the cancel unit unless pretty certain that is where the fault lies.

Symptoms: Turn signals work just fine...and pressing the turn signal switch does cancel the signal.
Emergency flashers work just fine.
Turning does not cancel the signal
Speeding up after turn does not cancel signals
Driving for 5 minutes does not cancel the signal.

Observations: A previous owner HAS installed trailer hitch and lighting connections
A Previous owner has installed auxiliary lights below the headlights

Open to any ideas beyond the detail troubleshooting steps in my service manual....looking for the easy way out (grin)

Thanks!

Ralph Strader

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
I have a new (gently used) '06 GL1800, and nothing will auto-cancel the turn signals...most of the posts I have read cover issues where SOME things don't auto cancel...so am hoping that this might be an "obvious" answer. Would like to avoid (pointlessly) tearing the bike down to get at the cancel unit unless pretty certain that is where the fault lies.

Symptoms: Turn signals work just fine...and pressing the turn signal switch does cancel the signal.
Emergency flashers work just fine.
Turning does not cancel the signal
Speeding up after turn does not cancel signals
Driving for 5 minutes does not cancel the signal.

Observations: A previous owner HAS installed trailer hitch and lighting connections
A Previous owner has installed auxiliary lights below the headlights

Open to any ideas beyond the detail troubleshooting steps in my service manual....looking for the easy way out (grin)

Thanks!

Ralph Strader
I'm guessing that your speedometer works just fine? What model level is it?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autocancel

Speedometer and cruise work just fine. Pretty basic bike...good stereo, no ABS, no GPS, no CB, or heated seats.

Saw one thread that guessed maybe the whole unit was disconnected, but they conjectured that the the 4 way flashers would not work..mine work fine.....Almost sounds like someone cut the output wire from the unit...but again, getting to it is a bit of work...

Thanks

Ralph

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
Speedometer and cruise work just fine. Pretty basic bike...good stereo, no ABS, no GPS, no CB, or heated seats.

Saw one thread that guessed maybe the whole unit was disconnected, but they conjectured that the the 4 way flashers would not work..mine work fine.....Almost sounds like someone cut the output wire from the unit...but again, getting to it is a bit of work...

Thanks

Ralph
Ok, so it's a base model. The cancel unit cancels the signals based on the speed pulse that comes to it. The pulse comes out of the gauges and runs to the cancel unit by way of C2 under the left fairing pocket, C16 under the right fairing pocket, and the small green connector at the top of the steering stem. It's a white/black wire and some folks have been known to cut it to shutoff the cancel function. If the sound system's automatic volume level function works when you speed up and slow down, the issue will most likely be the stem connector(possibly a bent pin or the pin pushed out of the back of the connector), but it could be C16 as well. If the auto sound level doesn't function, then it's probably an issue at or with C2. If C2 checks good, then it's an issue with the plug on the back of the gauges. Just an FYI, the cruise system uses the tachometer signal to function and doesn't use the speedometer signal or speed pulse.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will try

Thanks...will check the auto volume. Sorta leaning towards believing it was something done deliberately...

Will touch base tomorrow after I look further.

Thanks again,

Ralph

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
Just updated my previous post due to me forgetting about C16 in the mix. Sorry, keep me posted on what you find. Also, make sure the auto volume level function is turned on and set to high in the sound system menu before testing. There's two settings, 1 for speakers and 1 for headset.

C2 = 22 pin gray connector on left side
C16 = 14 pin blue connector on right side

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
When I got my wing I decided to keep manually cancelling the turn signals so I would stay in the habit for when I ride other bikes. After 12 years on the wing, my left thumb auto-cancel function is still working perfectly. :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AVC ok

AVC works so it looks like my next destination is the steering stem...thanks!

Ralph

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In deep....

Verified good pulse signal on C16, so issue must be at the connection to auto cancel unit at steering stem. Having read the myriad of steps needed to get access to that...have decided that I can live with manual cancelling signals >:). Greatly appreciate the info that you gave, gives me confidence in where the problem lurks.

Ralph

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
Verified good pulse signal on C16, so issue must be at the connection to auto cancel unit at steering stem. Having read the myriad of steps needed to get access to that...have decided that I can live with manual cancelling signals >:). Greatly appreciate the info that you gave, gives me confidence in where the problem lurks.

Ralph
It's really not that bad to get to the stem cap, it's easier than it sounds.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Not that hard"? (smile)

Rob,

I am inclined to trust your judgment, based on your history here...but I know that one man's "not so hard" is another one's trip down the rabbit hole.

If I read back through the steps in my service manual, here is what I see as what is needed...please advise if this is your experience or if there are unneeded steps...or any tricky bits or gotchas.

Remove Rearview Mirror Boots
Remove Windscreen Garnish
Remove Windscreen
Remove Ignition Switch Cap
Remove Meter Panel
Remove Meter Panel Visor
Remove Mounting bolts
Remove Connector boots
Remove Combination Meter Connectors
Remove Combination Meter
Remove Center Cover
Remove Steering Stem Nut Cap.

Since I am retired, (and have an engineering maintenance background) I am willing to give it a shot...just always like to have some idea of what I am wading into.

Thanks Again,

Ralph

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
Rob,

I am inclined to trust your judgment, based on your history here...but I know that one man's "not so hard" is another one's trip down the rabbit hole.

If I read back through the steps in my service manual, here is what I see as what is needed...please advise if this is your experience or if there are unneeded steps...or any tricky bits or gotchas.

Remove Rearview Mirror Boots
Remove Windscreen Garnish
Remove Windscreen
Remove Ignition Switch Cap
Remove Meter Panel
Remove Meter Panel Visor
Remove Mounting bolts
Remove Connector boots
Remove Combination Meter Connectors
Remove Combination Meter
Remove Center Cover
Remove Steering Stem Nut Cap.

Since I am retired, (and have an engineering maintenance background) I am willing to give it a shot...just always like to have some idea of what I am wading into.

Thanks Again,

Ralph
That about sums it up. Cake! :grin2: OK, so it's not a walk in the park, but it's doable and probably necessary. If the connector isn't fully together you could have a complete failure of the turn signals.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, goin' in tomorrow AM, will keep you posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hope the forum will tolerate a mild amount of irreverence.....

Praise the Lord! The Gold Wing has been healed...smile.

Took the bike apart as listed above (and then some)...traced every signal...disconnecting and reconnecting every connector in signal path....verified zero ohms from SP out of combination cluster to the appropriate pin on the cancellation unit...all the while seeing no sign of the 5 volt pulse except where it ENTERED the combination cluster.......verified infinity between signal and ground....still no pulse. Decided that I really could live with manual cancelling....and more worried about causing problems from tearing the bike apart.....so ...carefully re-assembled, testing what I could as I went, managed to get it together with only one hiccup (stripped tinnerman on one fairing nut).....hopped on bike to go to Honda shop to get a tinnerman.......and the turn signals cancel just fine......

Reminds me of the old joke. Monster mainframe computer breaks down...irreparable....expert is called....looks it up and down for about three minutes...take a mallet, gives it a good whump, computer starts working...presents a bill for $5,000 for services, when challenged about $5,000 to hit it with hammer, the expert explains, it was $50.00 to hit it......it was $4,950 to know WHERE to hit it.....

Many thanks for Rob for helping direct me to where I could accidentally hit it....smile...

Seriously, Rob, many thanks for the info and encouragement.

Ralph

Reactions: networkguy3

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
Hope the forum will tolerate a mild amount of irreverence.....

Praise the Lord! The Gold Wing has been healed...smile.

Took the bike apart as listed above (and then some)...traced every signal...disconnecting and reconnecting every connector in signal path....verified zero ohms from SP out of combination cluster to the appropriate pin on the cancellation unit...all the while seeing no sign of the 5 volt pulse except where it ENTERED the combination cluster.......verified infinity between signal and ground....still no pulse. Decided that I really could live with manual cancelling....and more worried about causing problems from tearing the bike apart.....so ...carefully re-assembled, testing what I could as I went, managed to get it together with only one hiccup (stripped tinnerman on one fairing nut).....hopped on bike to go to Honda shop to get a tinnerman.......and the turn signals cancel just fine......

Reminds me of the old joke. Monster mainframe computer breaks down...irreparable....expert is called....looks it up and down for about three minutes...take a mallet, gives it a good whump, computer starts working...presents a bill for $5,000 for services, when challenged about $5,000 to hit it with hammer, the expert explains, it was $50.00 to hit it......it was $4,950 to know WHERE to hit it.....

Many thanks for Rob for helping direct me to where I could accidentally hit it....smile...

Seriously, Rob, many thanks for the info and encouragement.

Ralph
Yeah! See Cake! Glad you got it going. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Now, what wire do I need to disconnect to stop the premature cancel or any auto cancel of the turn signals? Your no auto cancel but all else works normal is exactly what I want. I have a habit of hitting the turn signal switch about 50 million times a day so they will still be flashing when I am at the light waiting for it to turn green. I also always hit the cancel myself even though the "bike" may have just beat me to it. I am in such a habit of hitting the turn signal so many times per turn and per lane change, that I do it on my M50 that does not auto cancel. I have to tell myself that I do not need to do that on that bike. I would like it much better if I only needed to hit "turn" once and "cancel" once per turn or lane change. I recently had to replace my turn signal switch spring again on the Wing because of my futile attempts to prevent premature auto cancel.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
Now, what wire do I need to disconnect to stop the premature cancel or any auto cancel of the turn signals? Your no auto cancel but all else works normal is exactly what I want. I have a habit of hitting the turn signal switch about 50 million times a day so they will still be flashing when I am at the light waiting for it to turn green. I also always hit the cancel myself even though the "bike" may have just beat me to it. I am in such a habit of hitting the turn signal so many times per turn and per lane change, that I do it on my M50 that does not auto cancel. I have to tell myself that I do not need to do that on that bike. I would like it much better if I only needed to hit "turn" once and "cancel" once per turn or lane change. I recently had to replace my turn signal switch spring again on the Wing because of my futile attempts to prevent premature auto cancel.
You need to install the "Fred H. and Waldo turn signal cancel delay circuit" It uses the brakelight application to delay the cancel by automatically resetting the countdown of the cancel unit. It works good: http://www.rattlebars.com/chetswing/signalmadness.html

Or just cut the white/black wire at the steering stem cap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts