GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can ayone help me on how to remove the tweeters on an 06? I have the meter panel off and the service manual says to release the three retainer tabs and remove the tweeter.
I've been trying, but I can't figure how to release the tabs!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, please, anyone, I have been stumped on this one and could use some help as well.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
tweeters.....removal? or unplug?

Are you trying to unplug them or remove them from the dash cover? Good luck with releasing the three tabs holding the tweeter in the cover. If you look about half way down the side (1/3 spacing around) you will see the holes and the locking edge of the tabs inside the hole. You will need to get something to push in all three of the tabs at the same time to release them. It does not look like it will be easy to press them in far enough to release them without mucking up the tabs.

If you are just after unplugging them, you first pull off the rubber boot. There is a small tab that you must press on the side opposite the tweeter. You will need a small screwdriver or finger nails as the plug has ridges on both sides of the tab to keep a finger from pressing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply. I guess it take another HONDA tool. They seem to be in there to stay.

The reason I was taking them out is that I'm painting the meter panel and the frame that holds the tweeters and adding LED's. I was also looking at changing out the tweeter's for a different look.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you remove the rubber boot over the speaker the speaker wire has a connector that you can grip the release tab of and pull it off.

Is that what you want or are you trying to actually remove the speaker from the panel?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys,

But I'm trying to remove the Tweeters from the Panal. I just can't get the three tabs to move to get them out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just did this while doing a riser install this past weekend. The tweeters are basically held in by friction and a slight ridge in the plastic circle they fit into on the panel.
Peelback the flexible rubber protective cover at the back of the tweeters. Then gently but firmly pullback on the connector without doing anything to the connector release tabs, the tweeter itself will pop right out of the panel.

When you're done they pop right back into place, you just have to double check the rotation of the tweeter in the circle. You'll see that one side of the circle has a slight outward spot to allow for the connector. If you need to actually disconnect the tweeter from the wires after they are out, it is MUCH easier to do after they are out of the panel.

Just my experience on my own 06 Wing.

Hope it helps.
Bikelife

BTW, Bartman's guide to the risers was an excellent help to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts