GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone validate for me whether or not I truly need a "ground loop" isolator if I want to run my Sat/MP3 thru the AUX port of the radio?

I have heard yes and I have heard not needed.

Does anyone have experience with this?

THX

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
I use a mini disc. I don't have a ground loop isolator.

If you get too much noise you need one. If you don't, you don't! You won't know until you try it. It won't cost you anything, so try it! LOL....

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I use an MP3 thru the AUX port...I used the MP3 without the ground loop isolator and it was "noisey"...I went ahead and installed both an Inline Power Noise Filter and a Ground Loop Isolator...now crystal clear sound...IMHO you need it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gwlrhfarm said:
I use an MP3 thru the AUX port...I used the MP3 without the ground loop isolator and it was "noisey"...I went ahead and installed both an Inline Power Noise Filter and a Ground Loop Isolator...now crystal clear sound...IMHO you need it.
OK I know EC sells the Ground Loop Isolator...but where did you get the Inline Power Noise Filter?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Baron said:
gwlrhfarm said:
OK I know EC sells the Ground Loop Isolator...but where did you get the Inline Power Noise Filter?
EC...here is the link:
http://www.electricalconnection.com/aud ... -power.htm

·
Registered
826 Posts
Never needed it with my iPod or old MP3. Did with the XM sat rad. Got both from EC. Problem solved.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have an 06 and use XM RoadyII with the AUX input and no problems or noise. Why don't you try it first can't hurt if you have noise then you can take action.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have an 06 and use an Ipod Mini...was noisy until I installed the ground loop isolator...great now !!...ride safe...

Scott

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My RCA MP3 player works fine with out any other devices.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have an '06 with Nav and ABS. I use an XM Roady II through the Aux input and have not had any noise. As previously mentioned here, try it first before you buy something you might not need.

Ed

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have an 06 with a Roady XT. It was slightely noisy without the isolator so I added the one from EC and it quieted it down. Like the others said, try it and see. If its quiet, you've saved yourself some dough.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If you don't power it from the bike, you should be OK. My ipod is fine until the battery runs down and i plug the charger in to the power plug back in the trunk, then I can hear engine whine and such. But when it's running on batteries, nothing but tunes. So if you plan to hardwire the power for it, then yeah, you ought to plan to isolate it somehow.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Cardinal Pilot said:
I have an '06 with Nav and ABS. I use an XM Roady II through the Aux input and have not had any noise. As previously mentioned here, try it first before you buy something you might not need.

Ed
Same here, no noise with MP-3 player. Try before you buy!

BTW, I don't power the MP-3 from the wing, I run it on its own 15 hr battery and recharge it at home.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am running a Roady II and an MP3 player off a splitter on the Aux. I have no noise when using either. I have a friend with an '05 who has a Roady XT, and he had to put the ground loop isolator on his because of the noise.

Try it without it first, then you will know if you need one, or not.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I connect my iPod through the aux, run on the iPod battery...no noise. I also connect an XM Roadie through the aux, power by the bike electric system...no noise.

·
Registered
267 Posts
pardon the slight thread hijack!

I recently had a kisan HM installed on my 06 GW. Since then whenever I'm listening to my Sirius radio through the headsets I can "hear" the headlights flashing.
when I turn the modulator off the noise goes away. Would the ground loop isolater and the filter take care of this noise?

Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine doesn't

I use the 60G Video IPod and have it powered from the Wing thru the 12V receptacle in the left pocket, no whine or noise, just beautiful sound.
Or it did as I last remember it.
Dennis
8 more days

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Some bikes will, some won't. When powering off the devices battery and not the bike, you should never need it. Sometimes when the battery gets some age you might all of a sudden need one. Best advice I can give is keep the bike on a trickle charger when you can and keep the battery terminals tight!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts