GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the experience of helping install a CB into an ’06 GL1800 and would like to cite the differences with my ’02 GL1800, with regards to ease of use/installation:

Changed and improved:

1. The fairing pockets are a single unit now, with no separate pocket and separate lid.
2. The space in front of and under the left fairing pocket is much, much bigger, giving more room for GPS/XM/iPod wiring harnesses and power supplies.
3. The instrument cover is a single piece with no separate speaker covers to get blown off.
4. The instrument cover uses pop-in tabs (like the side covers) as opposed to pop-rivets and bolts to hold it in place.
5. There is only 1 connector (not 2) under the seat that one of the CB cables can connect to, therefore no “CB Error” message because you plugged the cable into the wrong connector.
6. The connector that connects the buttons above the key has a new style release mechanism and when it is clipped off, the connector does not make a tight fit. Oops!

Not Changed:

1. The rubber grommets holding the side covers and such are still NOT glued in place.
2. The screw thingies that hold the cover over the CB are still a POS!

·
Chard Member
13,222 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I might be doing a CB install in a '06 before long. Which level did you work on? I wonder how much difference the install is with the comfort & nav level and the air bagger.

I don't use the "screw thingys" when I install the CB cover. I use a few small pieces of doublesided tape. If I want to remove the CB later I just have the hole in the frt of the trunk. :idea:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have an '06 ABS that replaced a destroyed '03 ABS. I salvaged the CB outa the '03 with an eye toward reinstalling it into the '06. Tried and failed to find the correct connector. Had the same problem with the Accessory cable and power outlet that go into the left box. The necessary connectors on my '03 were in one of those rubber bags and located directly below the headlight adjustor. On the '06 I finally located the connectors behind the left speaker module, invisible and pretty much unreachable. Took several hours to get the things connected.

Ride long and safe..and mebbe I'll haveta pay someone to install the thing. Dunno if I feel up to the attempt.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Neil-In-Seattle said:
I just had the experience of helping install a CB into an ’06 GL1800 and would like to cite the differences with my ’02 GL1800, with regards to ease of use/installation:

Changed and improved:

1. The fairing pockets are a single unit now, with no separate pocket and separate lid.
2. The space in front of and under the left fairing pocket is much, much bigger, giving more room for GPS/XM/iPod wiring harnesses and power supplies.
3. The instrument cover is a single piece with no separate speaker covers to get blown off.
4. The instrument cover uses pop-in tabs (like the side covers) as opposed to pop-rivets and bolts to hold it in place.
5. There is only 1 connector (not 2) under the seat that one of the CB cables can connect to, therefore no “CB Error” message because you plugged the cable into the wrong connector.
6. The connector that connects the buttons above the key has a new style release mechanism and when it is clipped off, the connector does not make a tight fit. Oops!

Not Changed:

1. The rubber grommets holding the side covers and such are still NOT glued in place.
2. The screw thingies that hold the cover over the CB are still a POS!

That's pretty much the way I found it also.......plus the filter for the fuel pump the connector and the Honda harness end was not exactly correct. Had to file off a couple of pesty tabs........after that was pretty smooth.
I'm wondering if there is a different model for the 06's.

Red.....I like the DB tape idea......I'm doing that......after the first time I have to pry off that cover!!!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
A couple of other things I noticed:
  • On the Comfort models, the foot heater control bracket limits access to the ACC power and AUX input connectors.

It would help if the harness pigtails were slightly longer, giving a little more access room.

The rider headset connector is now located in its' own boot, towards the rear of the LH pocket area instead of the larger boot buried further down behind the headlight adjustment panel. This makes adding Kennedy integration units or Mic-Mutes a little easier than on the '04 and later models. (I've got a picture of it in my camera, I'm just too lazy to post it)

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
When the mechanic at the Honda store installed my CB in the 06 "with airbag," he had an aweful time finding the hookup plug. I wish I could tell you where he finally found it, but he almost had tears running down his face. This guy has been working on Hondas for 20 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts