GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I had my wing for about 2 weeks I took the top shelter, and the entire front fairing. WHY?? you ask. I am still trying to figure that out myself. Actually I installed strobes in the front headlights. Now before everyone starts flaming me about how they are illegal. Take a breath and finish reading the post. I actually use the wing for funeral processions. Yes I probably could have mounted lights under the mirror, but I wanted it to be as discrete as possible. Here's a link of my wing in pieces
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1 ... id=3049110

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Looks like quite a project. I put the strobes in the front turn signal assembly on my '03. If I wanted white strobes, I would have probably converted to the clear lenses with amber bulbs.

As far as whether or not they're legal for "just plain folk" I've noticed white and amber alternating strobes on the front of road maintenance and power/phone company vehicles, so it looks like the dog is pretty well out of the kennel. (I've got ambers to the front and reds to the rear. I've had them operating on several public service events and at several accident scenes. I've only had one comment from law enforcement. One officer said "Cool bike!")

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't want to hijack your thread, but you've done exactly what I am trying to avoid doing.

I bought the Kuryakn fork led/signals. When I went to install them, I found that the connector for the turn signals in the mirrors was different than what the accessories came with. It looks like your '06 has the same turn signal connectors as my '06 does.(orange or blue, and sort of square).

Have you found that they lead to a typical wing white rectangular connector (3 pin I think) ... anywhere further into the harness?

Thanks in advance
Brian

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Brad - All I can say is that you are a very brave man. It scares me just
to view the pics!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Brad,

You are a brave man as stated above.

Just curious; would you have attempted that on an airbag model?

Lance

·
Registered
755 Posts
OK, you are doing what I am planning to do to my '06 airbag model. I want to drill the high beam light housings to install the strobes. Please post and let me know how much room you find for drilling the 1" hole and where you decide to do it. Pics and recommendations would be great.

Also, where are you going to tap for the signal to the strobe power supply to turn it on (not the power to the box, just the "on" signal)? I wanted to tap into the existing 4-way flasher wire so that I can turn them both on at the same time.

In TX the law says I should flash both sides at the same time. That is, they should not wig-wag. I'm going to start out with them on wig....if I catch too much heat it will be a simple unplug-replug at the strobe power supply to wag them front to rear. Whelan says to install the strobe lights below the center line of the headlight housing. Anyone know why?

Please keep me up to date on your progress.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
For Brian:

I just ordered a set of rear facing Kury directionals for the mirrors on my 07. Their connectors are only compatible with the pre 06 bikes.

Had to also order their adaptor cable to make the connections compatible with the older connectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was thinking about hiding my front red/blue but after seeing your pics :shock: .....custom brackets under the mirrors is more in my range of wrenching. :oops:

David G.
2wheeltourist
AKA FJR Bandit
RWP
TX XIV

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kg5ie:
I want to drill the high beam light housings to install the strobes. Please post and let me know how much room you find for drilling the 1" hole and where you decide to do it
There is ample room to drill and mount the strobes in front of the high beam. This is where I mounted mine. When drilling the assembly you will find that there are 2 pieces of plastic to drill througih. I used a 1 1/4" hole saw first and then used the 1" holesaw for the reflector. I used the smallest bit I had to determine if I was in the right place.

Also, where are you going to tap for the signal to the strobe power supply to turn it on
I added a switch made by Big Bike that mounts on top of the brake reservior. It is sold on the sponsors sight. I will take a pic of the finished project and post it asap. It took about two weeks to do the whole project, but that included taking several days off for vacation, and only working on it 2-3 hrs in the evening.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I added a switch made by Big Bike that mounts on top of the brake reservior. It is sold on the sponsors sight.

I believe I found the switch you referred to, a three gang switch? That may be an answer to other questions. I could use one for master on, one for high/low strobe, and one for flash pattern change.

Look forward to seeing your completed project pics.

Thanks,

·
Registered
153 Posts
Electrical Connection has Hitachi-style connectors now that work with the '06 models when adding Muth Mirrors, etc that use the pre-06 connectors.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I'd like to put blue LED lights inside the headlights for "show only"

The headlights would glow blue when off sitting still at a light show....

Don't think I have the "kahonas" to try though.... :?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I had it to do over I think I would have put red/blue instead of clear. I originally went with the clear because they are not as noticeable as a red of blue strobe sticking in your headlight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts