GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing rumors of the 5th gear on the 06 wing poping out and into 4th. I have talked to two dealers and they tell me they have no word from honda and no complaints from customers.
Mine has come out. I don't know if it was not in far enough or if there is another problem. Has anyone run into this and what action did you take?
I am still low milage.
thanks Papamo

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I am hearing rumors of the 5th gear on the 06 wing poping out and into 4th. I have talked to two dealers and they tell me they have no word from honda and no complaints from customers.
Mine has come out. I don't know if it was not in far enough or if there is another problem. Has anyone run into this and what action did you take?
I am still low milage.
thanks Papamo

Fred..you aren't alone on this..Read this thread for more info... http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190054

BTW:
Welcome to the Board.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fred, welcome to GL1800riders.com. There is a lot of great information on this site.
My transmission started popping out of 5th at around 4 months old and 10,000 miles. At first I started doubting my shifting habits. I had read about the problem on this forum but I didn't want to believe that my bike was going to end up in the shop eventually. I didn't take it to the dealer until 3rd gear was the only one working. From the time it first happend to the time it completely failed was about 4 months and 10,000 more miles. The dealer had the bike for 6 weeks. It was covered under warranty. The service manager said he hadn't heard about transmission problems with the wing. When I told him I knew because of the research I had done on the internet he made a joke about "if its on the internet it must be true". The bike has been running great since being repaired last year. I'm now at 52,000 miles.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Does any one know if this problem has been fixed by Honda. I am in the market for a new one (2009) and really don't wan't to go through the ordeal of getting repaired. And,, I realize that many out there have no problem at all, but one is too many.

·
Vendor
21,429 Posts
Does any one know if this problem has been fixed by Honda. I am in the market for a new one (2009) and really don't wan't to go through the ordeal of getting repaired. And,, I realize that many out there have no problem at all, but one is too many.
I spent a fair amount of time very carefully going through the parts fiche on the 09 and looking at all the transmission part numbers and comparing them to previous years (as well as the alternator drive assy part numbers).

I could not find any differences. So if there has been a change, it would have to be in how they are assembled or maybe how the shifter forks are hardened, because from what I can see, no design changes to the transmission or part number changes have occurred.

So I guess it's still a pig in a poke at this point. I don't think anyone has enough miles on an 09 yet to know if they are affected with this issue or not. My guess is that not enough occurrences of transmission problems have been reported to dealers for Honda to take notice.

I don't even really have a good feel myself for how widespread this problem really is. While it is certainly a big deal to the folks it has happened to, I get the feeling the actual number of incidents is still pretty low when compared to the number of Wings on the road. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks Fred,,I was one of the first that had the "non-existent" overheating problem in 2002. I got all kinds of flack from board members and absolute denial from Honda when I complained about it.I just really don't wan't to go through another major problem.

·
Vendor
21,429 Posts
Thanks Fred,,I was one of the first that had the "non-existent" overheating problem in 2002. I got all kinds of flack from board members and absolute denial from Honda when I complained about it.I just really don't wan't to go through another major problem.
It's really hard to know how pervasive the problem is, and I certainly don't want to make little of it. If you look at just how many folks are on this board (around 5,000?) and compare that to the number of reported incidents, that might give you some idea.

I put 125K miles on my 02, and yes it popped out of fifth gear a few times, probably about 3 or 4 time in all those miles. I never really thought much about it cause it happened so seldomly, and like others, I just figured I did a lazy shift. I never had any other problems with the transmission at all, so I didn't worry much about it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My 06 started this around 8000 miles. At 10299 it blew. I went to the dealer and told them about it. They said not to worry. So I did not worry. But little did I know that the shifting forks were bent from the forgeing. When my tranny went it was so bad that the entire thing had to be rebuilt. After getting it back I really believe that it was never right from the factory. It now shifts so smooth and easy. It never was like this new. I was lucky that I had someone that took his time and really did a great job. He kept all the parts oiled during the rebuild as not to get rust on anything. It was torn down for about 5 weeks. They can either replace the forks now or the entire tranny later. It was covered under warranty. I really believe that Honda does not want to do a recall because of the expense it would cause. They are fixing them as they come in.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
After getting it back I really believe that it was never right from the factory. It now shifts so smooth and easy. It never was like this new.
IMO, this issue is caused by certain lots of transmission parts that were not made right by Honda's vendors and those parts were used in production. That's why some have had problems with the transmission, but most have not. It's sub standard parts used is some of the transmissions that is the cause of this issue..not a design problem with the transmission, and not the way the bike is shifted. Popping out of any gear is not normal.

My 03 has shifted flawlessly from day one and has never popped out of any gear...not once in 50K miles. After reading threads about this issue and some people thinking it's lazy shifting that is causing the bike to pop out of a gear, I have tried to shift my bike as easy as I could and my bike just goes into every gear with very little effort and stays in gear no matter how softly I have tried to shift my bike. I don't see how you could not shift this bike correctly.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My wife's '08 has jumped out of 5th to 4th twice, at about 6,000 and 8,000 miles. It has nearly 12,000 now.
I called the dealer, he said bring it in and leave it for awhile so they could ride it, but between the weather, working, Christmas, and not wanting to let it be handled by them, I still have not taken it in. The dealer is 100 miles away so it is a little hassel to do it. He said it needs to be documented that I have a complaint.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If one is too many, you'd better not buy a bike at all. Between overheating, cracked frames, and busted transmissions. Everything mechanical can fail, just ask anyone on Flight 1549.

The transmission failures happened to other years as well, but it seems that the 2006's have the most reports. Improper heat treating of the shift forks has been named as a culprit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The same thing happened with my 2008 'Wing with only a few thousand miles. I brought the bike in to the dealer with only 4600 miles on the odometer. It was the shift fork.

The dealer still has my bike. They're putting it back together now.

I'm thankful for having the extended warranty till 2014....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
How many of you with failures had Heel and Toe shifters fitted?
Could this have caused / contributed to the failures?

Trev.

·
Registered
669 Posts
popping out 5th !!

My 01 did it 3 or 4 times and my 04 has to.It seems to b popping out 5th gear and into 4th when the bike is cold :shrug:

I hope my 09 is better.. :eek:4:

Ed..:coffee1:

D

·
0 Posts
Tranny Problems

Yep,Many of us are having the same problem and Honda has no responce.
I changed my oil to Honda synthetic at about 9K and the problem has about stopped.
I have a 06.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
06 wing Transmission, wind noise

Thanks for the info on the transmission. Now i have some info for the dealer.

I see a lot about wind noise. This is my story:

3/4 helmet must have sponge cover on mike.

I use full face. Place mike in a position of the upper lip. If you breathe so hard that it affects the mike, you should not be riding.

Put on micmutes. i have the controller with the PTT
Ride at about 50 mph with your favorite radio station on. Adjust each of the dash controls (audio) seperately. My micmute is almost turned off. The autovolume adjusts itself.
The last thing that i am doing this year is to place an ascot on my helmet.
This works as a throat guard. keeps the wind from coming into the helmet.

Also on my CSC conversion, they bolt the exhaust pipes to the frame. This gives you some exhaust noise heard in the radio. I rubber mounted mine.

Hope this helps.
Papamo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts