GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the plastic door that closes behind the data card for the GPS (trunk unit) will not stay shut. It pops back open after I close it and almost always pops open after I shut the trunk.

I have tried bending the door so that the "tab" stays in place when I close the door behind the data card.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any suggestions???

:p

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Me neither. Have you opened and closed it a lot? I think I opened mine once. It stays shut.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
silverado said:
Mine does the same thing. It has only been intentionally opened one time and now it will not stay closed.

Silverado...that is exactly the same thing that happened with my unit. Obviously you are supposed to be able to open the unit (door) to replace the Garmin data card which is going to cost about $299 sometime in early 2007.

So what did you do to resolve your door issue?

THX

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have not resolved it. I tired loosening the screws that hold the unit to the trunk and realiging the unit but the door still opens. I thought maybe the unit was not aligned or twisted in some way that was causing hte door to pop open. Guess I will try just to tape it shut. It is a bad design. The door does not have a large enough area for the latch to grab.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Can we say warranty repair?? :) :) You paid for a warranty quit messin with it, that's their deal.

G

·
ataDude said:
Baron said:
... Any suggestions???

This stuff solves all problems. :lol:
Finally, a solution. I don't have an 06 GPS so I don't have the problem, but if I did, that would be my fix also.

Way to go Dude. :lol:

Some stuff just isn't worth the hassle to chase warranty, and can result in more problems that you started with. Fix it and move on. Damn door doesn't mean squat anyway.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Baron said:
silverado said:
Mine does the same thing. It has only been intentionally opened one time and now it will not stay closed.

Silverado...that is exactly the same thing that happened with my unit. Obviously you are supposed to be able to open the unit (door) to replace the Garmin data card which is going to cost about $299 sometime in early 2007.

THX
Baron, why would we have to replace the crad?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I opened mine to re-insert the card after it came loose and I lost all detailed information on roads. Only main roads would show up and very crudely illustrated. I pushed the card in and it worked great again. The door reset in the original position and has not been a problem. I do think I am going to put a piece of foam in between the door and the card to make sure it stays put.

DJ

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
icing777 said:
Baron said:
silverado said:

THX
Baron, why would we have to replace the card?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
icing777 said:
icing777 said:
Baron said:
silverado said:

THX
Baron, why would we have to replace the card?

Per Garmin, the data card ONLY contains maps and roads. Garmin is planning an update that replaces the existing card and sends you a new one with map/road updates. The cost is going to be around $299.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Baron said:
Per Garmin, the data card ONLY contains maps and roads. Garmin is planning an update that replaces the existing card and sends you a new one with map/road updates. The cost is going to be around $299.
I am not clear..., sorry!
Besides the updated roads is there anything else as far as the system as a whole is concerned?
Will the old card still work? I hope the update is not mandatory for the system to still work?
Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
icing777 said:
Baron said:
I am not clear..., sorry!
Besides the updated roads is there anything else as far as the system as a whole is concerned?
Will the old card still work? I hope the update is not mandatory for the system to still work?
Thanks!
The update is NOT madatory...but if you want updated maps/roads, you will have to go thru their upgrade which means replacing the data card.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Baron said:
do you really think they'll charge that much ?...who's gonna pay that much for a map update ?...if it ends up being that expensive, this is one person who won't be updating...ride safe...

Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts