GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem. Went for a short ride of about 30 miles mostly highway stopped for dinner went to start the bike and it would start but would die as soon as I would give it any throttle this went on for about a dozen tries and then tried start it again every 10 minutes or so it did finally start after almost an hour. Thanks for any help...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Here's the problem. Went for a short ride of about 30 miles mostly highway stopped for dinner went to start the bike and it would start but would die as soon as I would give it any throttle this went on for about a dozen tries and then tried start it again every 10 minutes or so it did finally start after almost an hour. Thanks for any help...
Welcome to the board. Have you recently had anything done to the bike?

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
Did ya get gas ?? Maybe bad/water ? Finally got out water and runs now ???

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
So it ran fine on the return trip? Old gas, bad new gas, low battery, maybe, could be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing recently done to the bike previously by me, got it last August. Has been hard to start since I bought it as it takes three or for hits of the starter to start. Did the ECM reset yesterday , changed the plugs and battery to.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Nothing recently done to the bike previously by me, got it last August. Has been hard to start since I bought it as it takes three or for hits of the starter to start. Did the ECM reset yesterday , changed the plugs and battery to.
Did any of that help the hard starting?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hard start could be the plugs. About all I can think of that causes that other than a weak battery.

These bikes should start before the starter makes one revolution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree it should start real quick . The plugs and battery didn't help with that. I'll do some more checking and try to ride out this tank of gas.Weather here has turned cold again so I will have to wonder a while longer.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
I agree it should start real quick . The plugs and battery didn't help with that. I'll do some more checking and try to ride out this tank of gas.Weather here has turned cold again so I will have to wonder a while longer.
When you get some decent weather, try this test. Turn on the key and let the fuel pump run and the FI light go out, then turn the key off and turn it right back on and let the pump cycle again. As soon as the FI light goes out hit the starter button and see if it starts quicker. If it does, the your issue is with the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Wow! I'm reading some great info here (IN CASE IT HAPPENS TO ME) (or any one of us) thank guys!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you get some decent weather, try this test. Turn on the key and let the fuel pump run and the FI light go out, then turn the key off and turn it right back on and let the pump cycle again. As soon as the FI light goes out hit the starter button and see if it starts quicker. If it does, the your issue is with the fuel pressure.[/QUOTE

Went out to check this today. Sound from the fuel pump ? Just sounds like one click ?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
When you get some decent weather, try this test. Turn on the key and let the fuel pump run and the FI light go out, then turn the key off and turn it right back on and let the pump cycle again. As soon as the FI light goes out hit the starter button and see if it starts quicker. If it does, the your issue is with the fuel pressure.[/QUOTE

Went out to check this today. No sound from the fuel pump starter turned but no fire at all.
Did you get an FI light? If so, then crank the engine for 10 seconds with it in neutral and the side stand down to see if the FI light will flash a code. Count the long and short flashes. I think you will get a 19 code. If you get no code, then pull the seat off and remove the relay cover and swap your fuel pump relay with another one like it from the rack. Then try the key again to see if the pump will run.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you get an FI light? If so, then crank the engine for 10 seconds with it in neutral and the side stand down to see if the FI light will flash a code. Count the long and short flashes. I think you will get a 19 code. If you get no code, then pull the seat off and remove the relay cover and swap your fuel pump relay with another one like it from the rack. Then try the key again to see if the pump will run.
Ok cranked like you said no code so now to get another relay. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

Took the bike into the Honda dealer service dept. They changed the air filter it did have a mouse nest so they thought eureka but it still wasn't running well, they did some other tests but decided that the sound the fuel pump made was weak compared to the other wings there.They replaced the fuel pump. I picked it up tonight and it runs great. Thanks to everyone who gave advice ! It feels great to have the support of this forum when you have a problem.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Took the bike into the Honda dealer service dept. They changed the air filter it did have a mouse nest so they thought eureka but it still wasn't running well, they did some other tests but decided that the sound the fuel pump made was weak compared to the other wings there.They replaced the fuel pump. I picked it up tonight and it runs great. Thanks to everyone who gave advice ! It feels great to have the support of this forum when you have a problem.
Glad they figured it out. Hopefully it didn't cost you an arm and leg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts