GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 owners, any truth that the headlights are 35 Watt HID?

I heard this from a Guru within the business!

I am just curious.

Bulldog

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Bulldog said:
I am just curious.
Bulldog
I've got an 07 (almost two weeks old) ...

aside from taking things apart, how can I know?

I just added the 55w EC lights and they SEEM much brighter.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Bulldog, sounds like the "Guru" is a little off on this one. Or, he is playing games with you. Na, no one would ever try to pull Bulldog's leg. LOL's

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like there might be a public linchin, comming soon...LOL

That is why I use this board and it's expertise to verify.

Thank Guys
Bulldog

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Bulldog said:

I am just curious.

Bulldog
I never listen to wise men that wear diapers... just dosen't seem logical,
and why can't they get a house... thier always on a Mountain...whats up with that??

Matt(Ashland,MA) :yes: :beer3: :beer2: :a13:

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Hey Bulldog,
I done a search of 07 GL1800 headlights, & got the following.

Headlight system features two 55W H7 low-beam and two 55W H7 high-beam bulbs with computer-designed multi-reflectors.
Which I presume is the same, from the past six years. :?

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Bulldog said:
GURU = General Understanding Relatively Useless

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Well, my 04 has 38 watts on the left high beam. Of course it is because of something wrong in the wiring that puts 2.2 volts less on the left high beam than the right.

That is when Fred and I discovered that my 01 manual shows the two high beams from one pin in the blue plug and the later Wings have each headlight through a seperate plug which supports his theory that there is a bad pin in one of the connectors.

Bulldog, you had me worried. The 1800 has the most phenominal lights of anything on the road and I would not want anything to degrade them.

The Hondaline fog lights are 35 watt.

All the best to you and Meesh.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
The wiring diagram on the 06/07 models shows a 35 watt HID lamp in the diagram, but I don't see any ballast in the circuit for it.

I think it was a misprint. Honda probably considered it at one point and changed their mind and forgot to change the tech data.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Fred, If you have that diagram for the 04 High beam circuit, I would like to see it.

Thanks.

Don,

Is that Sylvania white light the same wattage? Some of the new cars do a very good job of lighting up the shoulder without blinding you as they approach. I noticed that as I went to Bandera in the darkness this morning, with great trepidation about the deer.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Tom.....I'm in the house now for the night. When I go out to the shop tomorrow I'll look up what the Sylvania lights are. I put them in the lower fog light's location. The PIAA's went in the low beam head lights.
Sure are nice at night......as well as being seen in the day time!!!!

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Tom Finch said:
Fred, If you have that diagram for the 04 High beam circuit, I would like to see it.
Tom,

Look close at the circuit I show above for the 06. It is the same as the 04. Notice that one high beam goes through
the 22 Pin Gray (22PGr) connector (C9 Photo61 page 12-10), and the other goes through the 22 Pin Blue (22PBu)
connector (C8 Photo 61).

Here you can see the changes made to that circuit from 01 to 02. Note the connection on the 01 of the BLU/BLK wire
has changed to a solid Blue wire and re-routed thru connector C8 (follow triangle C over to second diagram).

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Tom,

As a follow up to this, I have uncovered something of interest. On the 01 model, all the current for both high beams
passed through the Headlight HI relay. With this wire change (02 and on), now only the right headlight goes through the relay,
while the current for the left headlight passes through both the starter switch and the headlight DIMMER switch
(the starter switch is in series upstream, though it doesn't show on this diagram).

This means if either of these switches have poor/dirty contacts, that would account for your low output on the left bulb.

I don't know why Honda changed the circuit so. It seems more logical to me to let the relay handle the current for
both headlights, instead of pushing it through two sets of switch contacts. Maybe they were afraid if the relay went bad
you would loose both lights, so they wired one from a different source.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Don,
Thanks for looking.

Fred,
It seems worthwhile to modify the circuit, at least for me, to put in another headlight relay and direct wire the left headlight. I certainly can tell that the left beam is dim and the light cast on the left shoulder is more yellow.

I did not notice it until I readjusted the headlights after the bike was repaired from the deet strike. It makes me wonder how many are riding with dimmer left high beam lights that have also not noticed it.

There is no doubt that the extra several feet of wiring that is in the left High Beam circuit has to have some voltage drop unless they upped the gage enough. Also, there are numerable contact mechanical connections in that circuit with extra plugs, switch contacts, etc. and each contact point has some resistance that can vary from unit to unit. I think running high current through a switch instead of a relay is a bad deal, anyway.

Thank you for your research into this issue.

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts