GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 with 17,000 miles. In the last thousand miles, the starter clutch won't engage on the first try with a cold engine. I use Amsoil 10W40 Synthetic oil and have had NO problems prior to this. This only occurs on maybe one in ten startups. Other than that, the engine turns over at normal rpm's and fires up normally. Has anyone else experienced this and does it get better or become a major problem. Does Honda recognize this as a potential problem waiting to happen or is mine just a fluke. Should I expect Honda to just go ahead and replace the starter clutch or are they likely to make excuses and try to blame synthetic oil and refuse repair. This bike is my "Baby" and I try to pamper it. When I take it to my dealer, I hope I'll be able to just deliver it to them one day and come back and pick it up fixed in a week.
Thanks for any input you may have......Ron

·
Registered
357 Posts
i put stp in a 450 honda years ago and it would'nt engage at all. can't believe it would be the oil. one of your rollers may be sticking in the starter clutch. not a major fix. bill

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, Bill. I used to be a Honda Mech in the late 70's and I think the starter clutches are still similar in design. We replaced a lot of the clutches in 750's and 350's. Could rarely ever SEE the problem, but replacing the little springs and balls and cleaning up the shaft they engaged on usually did it. In those days, I think a lot of the problem was the oil quality....also weight.....we used to use 20W50 Castrol exclusively. From what I've been reading, the starter's a lot harder to access than the old ones.....Oh well, I probably shouldn't discount the dealer and Honda...I've still got years of warranty. I haven't owned a Wing until now since 75 and 78. A far cry better for sure.

I

·
0 Posts
FWIW I have never had a starter engagement problem with my 02. Honda 10W40 Dino since day one....and as far as I am concerned, will be forever. Changed every 3-5K.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Starter clutch

I have an 02 and found when I changed to straight syntetic oil that when the engine was cold and the outside temp was 40 degrees or below I had the same problem. The problem went away when I switched to the Honda oil recommended for the bike. I use the Honda oil because it is a synthetic blend.

John

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
First of all oil should have nothing to do with it, don't tell the dealer you put in synthetic only because it has nothing to do with the starter.
and if anything synthetic has better viscosity then dino and should be better for starting, not worse
the starter engagement is not right and should be fixed or at least a write up ticket done on it to show it has this problem, it will most likely get worse over time, also not good for the flywhell it engages into.
tell them to replace the starter, it probably should be now, with 17K

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:yes1::yes1: Thanks All for the comments and feed back...it's very helpful. I really like how all the Wing riders rally around when a fellow rider has a question or problem. This is a true testament to the quality of person who enjoy these fine machines. I've emailed the service dept. of my dealer and am awaiting a reply......Ron :yes1::yes1:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
First of all oil should have nothing to do with it, don't tell the dealer you put in synthetic only because it has nothing to do with the starter.
and if anything synthetic has better viscosity then dino and should be better for starting, not worse.....
Actually, if the starter uses a Sprag Clutch (like I think it does), oil could have everything to do with it.

In certain cases, synthetic oil has been found to be too "slippery" for the sprag clutch to operate properly.

It it were me, I'd make my next two oil changes with dino oil to check it out.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Actually, if the starter uses a Sprag Clutch (like I think it does), oil could have everything to do with it.

In certain cases, synthetic oil has been found to be too "slippery" for the sprag clutch to operate properly.

+1

·
Registered
563 Posts
You want to hope the problem does not lie with a faulty starter clutch because the engine has to come out of the frame to get at the starter clutch.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I had the same problem with my '03. It was worse when the weather was cold. I switched from synthetic to dino the problem has not reoccurred over the last two months.

Hector

I have an 07 with 17,000 miles. In the last thousand miles, the starter clutch won't engage on the first try with a cold engine. I use Amsoil 10W40 Synthetic oil and have had NO problems prior to this. This only occurs on maybe one in ten startups. Other than that, the engine turns over at normal rpm's and fires up normally. Has anyone else experienced this and does it get better or become a major problem. Does Honda recognize this as a potential problem waiting to happen or is mine just a fluke. Should I expect Honda to just go ahead and replace the starter clutch or are they likely to make excuses and try to blame synthetic oil and refuse repair. This bike is my "Baby" and I try to pamper it. When I take it to my dealer, I hope I'll be able to just deliver it to them one day and come back and pick it up fixed in a week.
Thanks for any input you may have......Ron

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts

Digger, good info, thanks! I hadn't considered that the starter motor uses a sprag clutch, but from looking at the shape of it in the service manual, I think you may be correct.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Digger, good info, thanks! I hadn't considered that the starter motor uses a sprag clutch, but from looking at the shape of it in the service manual, I think you may be correct.
Fred,

Actually, one of my motorcycle mags described this problem a few months ago (on an Aprilia), so it was still fresh in my memory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts