GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to plan for a trip to Alaska starting from SoCal in late June or early July. My basic trip plan was US101 to the Canadian 97 to Dawson Creek, BC then the AlCan Highway on to Fairbanks. Hopefully the weather will co-operate for a day trip to the Artic Circle from there(I've heard it's not much to see but how many times are you going to get the opportunity to say you've been to the Artic Circle!). From Fairbamks, Alaska 3 (Parks Highway) to Anchorage. Then depending on time Alaska 1 (Glenn Highway to Tok Cutoff, the Taylor Highway, and the Klondike Highway) up and around thru Chicken, Dawson, Whitehorse to Skagway for the Ferry Ride back to Bellingham, Washington. Otherwise back on the Alcan Highway to Whitehorse then Skagway.

I want to stick to the big picture but be able to "go with the flow" keeping any rigid plans to a minimum. Being prime tourist season though I have heard most things are booked long in advance. I was hoping to camp a lot along the way. Is it possible to find places to camp since my time/distance itinerary will be day to day? Will I be able to find a hotel/motel on short notice for the occasional good night's sleep and shower? How expensive will they be? Any and all recommendations and suggestions, must see, can I come?, comments will be very welcome. I've read a lot of trip reports and this seems fairly reasonable. I am allowing 2 to 3 weeks so it will go fast. So much to see so little time -)

Con Wieland
'01 illusion red - the fast one

·
Registered
21,057 Posts
5 of us are going up for 3 weeks next June, hope to get a picture of our bikes at the Artic Circle but if the weather doesn't sound decent we will find plenty of other stuff to do

have done some reading about other folks trips and it sounds like campsites are easy enough to come by but motels not so easy and also pretty expensive, we plan to do a lot of camping but get a motel every 3-5 days or whenever the price sounds rite

1 - 5 of 5 Posts