GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
18,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what causes an 08 to flat spot after sitting 10 mins, then starting, and the fellow chapter member has to be extreemly careful if taking a turn for the next min or 2. If not, on a turn the bike will die.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hum.....maybe the IAC control. Even though the bike is basically still hot after 10 minutes, the ECU controls that based on engine heat, so it dirty or defective could cause the bike to stumble until up to full temp.

About all I can think of, if the bike runs strong after it is fully up to temp.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust? I've seen this More often with aftermarket exhausts...

·
Vendor
18,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aftermarket exhaust? I've seen this More often with aftermarket exhausts...
There are actually 2 bikes having this problem, and one has aftermarket exhaust. I will email and ask about the other, but will not get a responce back till tomorrow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
flatspot

Don't know that I would call it a flatspot but my 08 has a similar symtom that after a warm soak it wants to dye the first time you let the clutch out. That and a 5th gear trans problem is making me wish I would have kept my 02.

·
Vendor
18,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know that I would call it a flatspot but my 08 has a similar symtom that after a warm soak it wants to dye the first time you let the clutch out. That and a 5th gear trans problem is making me wish I would have kept my 02.
I think that is what the person with the 08 is describing. Starts up after sitting 10 min and can't go into a turn at first with out it wanting to stall. He's dumped it a couple of times as a result. Also, says it's been that way since bought new.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
My 08 has done it from new and still does it with over 119,000 miles on it. When I leave my office in the evening at the first stop light, I am facing up hill and turn right to a down hill it hesitates everytime. While I've never dumped it, I can see how it could happen. once it is warm I have no problems. I will wait and see how this thread turns out.:shrug:

·
Registered
173 Posts
New 2010 that does the same thing. Cold, it will almost die. Learned to give it extra trottle. Warm, no problem.

I have 2500 on it. Thought about taking it in to Honda. But these yo yo's wouldn't know what it is unless it did it with them.
That means they would have to keep it overnight.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
02 - after washing, will not idle below 900rpm. Watch the tac. The 900rpm means that once it falls below cold start fast idle or when letting out clutch or making a turn and causing the bike to fall below 900.

Hope you find the answer. I'm not enjoying the 10-20 minute wait after a wash to ride safely.

·
Registered
843 Posts
These bikes need to idle 100 RPM faster anyway but you can turn the idle up by adj. the cable play up to where it actually turns the idle up and will eliminate it. worked for me.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Our '03 and '08 do not have this problem - not even when drying after a visit to the coin-op car wash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts