GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some threads from last year about pulling to the right. I have one with the front wheel about 3/8" to the right of rear wheel. Any one out there know where I can find a published specification for front wheel alignment (lateral off set and camber). It's been doing it from day one and both dealer and manufacturer insist that it's in spec yet they don't seem to know the spec.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've seen some threads from last year about pulling to the right. I have one with the front wheel about 3/8" to the right of rear wheel. Any one out there know where I can find a published specification for front wheel alignment (lateral off set and camber). It's been doing it from day one and both dealer and manufacturer insist that it's in spec yet they don't seem to know the spec.
3/8" is alot. i would raise hell if it's on warranty. i would think you have a bad frame. bill

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,193 Posts
This is what the service manual says about troubleshooting this condition:

The motorcycle pulls to one side
• Front and rear wheels not aligned
• Bent fork
• Bent swingarm
• Bent axle
• Bent frame

There are no specifications in the service manual for +/- numbers for the frame alignment or even the swing arm end play! You might need a lawyer if the Honda Rep. is trying to pass this off as normal. Humans were involved with making that frame and they have been known to make mistakes. Tell them you want to see the specifications in print from mother Honda and then call your state attorney general and see where you stand if they won't do anything about it. I'm pretty sure a crooked frame is a manufacturer defect. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
887 Posts
This is what the service manual says about troubleshooting this condition:

The motorcycle pulls to one side
• Front and rear wheels not aligned
• Bent fork
• Bent swingarm
• Bent axle
• Bent frame

There are no specifications in the service manual for +/- numbers for the frame alignment or even the swing arm end play! You might need a lawyer if the Honda Rep. is trying to pass this off as normal. Humans were involved with making that frame and they have been known to make mistakes. Tell them you want to see the specifications in print from mother Honda and then call your state attorney general and see where you stand if they won't do anything about it. I'm pretty sure a crooked frame is a manufacturer defect. :rolleyes:
And if it's true, POST THE NAME OF THIS DEALER!!!!!!!!!!!! So no one else gets beat by this DEALER!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
First of all, who did the alignment check that says it is 3/8" off center. Not to knock your testing methods, but if a dealer hasn't checked it, they couldn't possibly know if anything is wrong or not.

My bike pulls to one side as well. It is only noticeable if I take my hands off the bars. I have checked my alignment, and it is perfect.

Have you checked to see if you have a cracked frame?
Have you emptied every compartment on the bike and tested it?
Do you have anything mounted on the handlebars?
What procedure are you using to check alignment. There are a few procedures out there on the Internet that are prone to errors, because it is tough to verify that the front wheel is straight. My Goldwing manual doesn't even mention the word.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all, who did the alignment check that says it is 3/8" off center. Not to knock your testing methods, but if a dealer hasn't checked it, they couldn't possibly know if anything is wrong or not.

Here's the method that I used: I had trouble with the string method so I squared up a piece of plywood and cut out the middle to go around the stands. The jig was placed up on some blocks and contacting the front and rear of the rear tire then the front wheel lined up to have equal measurements front and rear. I them flipped the jig to the other side of the bike and re-measured. I have a 3/4" difference with the left side 3/4" greater than the right indicating a 3/8" off set to the right.

With respect to road crown I expect that the bike will follow the crown. In my case I can come from the left lane (4 lane divided highway) and it will overcome the crown and always to the right.

The dealer's version of checking it is test driving it. They have done nothing. :eek:4:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I can't say whether your method is accurate or not. I have never tried to do it that way. The string method is the only way that I know of that gives accurate results. In fact, you have to be careful whose string method you use. Many people have come up with what they think are clever, easier ways to do it, and most of them don't work either. Motorcycle.com has one of the correct methods for checking alignment, however, their description is poorly written, and tough to follow.

If you follow the correct method, there are two types of misaligment you can determine. The first is whether the wheels are on plane. In other words, is the back wheel turned at a left or right angle in relation to the frame. The second is whether the rear wheel is offset in relation to the front wheel. Both of those problems can cause handling problems, and are usually caused by different things. You need to know which one it is before making a diagnosis.

1.Unless the frame is cracked, it is unlikely that the frame or the swingarm is at fault. If you have a tweaked frame or swingarm, you are alone, because it isn't a common problem.

2.A bent or twisted fork can cause this. My first suggestion would be to loosen up the front wheel bolts and align the wheel according the the procedure in the manual to make sure it isn't tweaking the forks. This is the most likely cause.

3. Tires are never perfectly asymetical. Since all alignment measurements unfortunately have to be taken in relation to the tires, you have to factor in nearly a 1/4" error in your measurements.

I'm not sure what to tell you about getting the dealer to cooperate. My first question would be, is this only noticeable if you take your hands off the handlebars? If the answer is yes, you can forget about getting any help from Honda.

If the bike is noticeably pulling even with your hands on the handlebars, you have a fight ahead of you, and I feel sorry for you. It is going to take some perseverance, and possibly a friendly letter from your lawyer to get them to jump. But you may have to back it up with some hard evidence, like numbers from an accepted industry method for checking alignment. You may have to seek out the help of an independent professional for this.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Huh? "asymetical"?
When checking the alignment, you are using the outer edge of the tire as a reference. The outer edge of the left side of the tire compared to the right side referenced on center, is never equal. It can vary from tire to tire, often nearly a quarter inch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 05 forks bottomed on very small bumps I weigh 160 so I installed progressive springs . Before the spring install the bike pulled right after the install it did not .I did not check the old springs to see if one was weaker or if the wheel properly centered .I wish i had saved the springs and tested them the bike only had 6000 miles .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Scooter, your pulling before the replacement was probably due to the fact that somebody tweaked the forks during your last tire change by not installing the wheel properly. When you did your springs, you released the tension on the forks.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I had a Honda 750 many years ago that pulled to the right, and it was a wreck that was rebuild, and had a bend frame.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Dontrideenough, Having tried several methods--

Here is "my" latest. Loosen the top nut on the

steering shaft and the bottom leg clamp bolts,

both sides.

Loosen the left axel clamp bolts.

Bounce (compress) forks and have a helper

tighten the leg clamps, the left axel clamp and

last the top shaft nut --- All while you hold the

bike upright. And in the order listed.

There has got to be an easer way.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Did the OP or anyone with similar problems actually fix their right pulling? All of my friends are able to cruise down the slab with no hands, yet if I pull my hands off the bars, the bike shoots to the right side of the road...I have to lean far left to steady the bike on a line, and I've been put on notice that this should never be the case...

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Something is surely wrong with your bike, if the measurements you've taken are correct, This is a very hard thing to check. Getting Honda to do something about it is going to be tuff.

Did you buy the bike new, and has it ever been down?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Did the OP or anyone with similar problems actually fix their right pulling? All of my friends are able to cruise down the slab with no hands, yet if I pull my hands off the bars, the bike shoots to the right side of the road...I have to lean far left to steady the bike on a line, and I've been put on notice that this should never be the case...
No, at least I still haven't solved mine. Mine pulls to the left however.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My bike has always slowly drifted to the right when I take my hands off the handle bars at highway speed. I assume it is a reaction to the rotation of the shaft drive and not anything to do with alignment.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Update of my post from 30 minutes ago:

Thanks for the reminder gareva1. Mine is now fixed. You reminded me that there was one more thing I wanted to try, and it was indeed the problem.

I always suggested to people here that they probably had their saddlebags loaded unevenly and that was causing their drifting. When mine started doing the same thing, I took my own advice and emptied the trunk and saddlebags. It still pulled badly to the left, which convinced me that my theory was wrong.

A couple of weeks ago, I remembered something. I had lost my righthand Kury highway peg a year earlier. Since the pegs were installed primarily to allow me to stretch my bad left knee occasionally, I didn't care. It was all rusted anyway. So I just took off the right hand mount.

I wondered if the lack of a right highway peg of equal weight could have been throwing off the balance, much like an unbalanced load in the saddlebags. I just went out and took off the left highway peg and went for a short ride. Well guess what. My pulling to the left is gone. It was the highway peg all along. There is still a very slight drift, but I attribute that to a rear tire that is wearing unevenly.

Wouldn't you know it, Mr. Murphy decided to stick his head out and make things interesting too. Just as I hit the cruise and kicked back with my hands off the bars, a deer decided it was an appropriate time to pop out into the middle of the road. Scared the crap out of me.

So look beyond your load. Look at anything you have installed on the bike or inside the bike that has any weight to it. Do you have a heavy air horn on the right crash bar maybe? My bike was diving for the center line badly, so I imagine it would not take much off center weight to cause just a drifting problem. Considering the doo dads that everybody likes to install on their bikes, this sounds to me like a likely culprit for a lot of people.

Good luck.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've noticed that things in the air stream, such as Baker Air Wings or Hand Wings for example, which may not not be equally adjusted on both sides can also contribute to pulling one direction or the other at speed.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've noticed that things in the air stream, such as Baker Air Wings or Hand Wings for example, which may not not be equally adjusted on both sides can also contribute to pulling one direction or the other at speed.

I'm running with the baker wings...I'll try it out with them all closed to eliminate that issue, but some people I ride with use them, some don't...I'm not running with anything on one side thats not on the other...In fact, if anything, there's more weight on the left than the right, but not by much...when I bought the bike used in May, I put new tires on it a few days after I got it, and it pulled before and after the new stock stones.

I don't think its been wrecked/dropped, but can't do anything about it now if thats the case...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts