GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday,

Sadly it’s getting to that time of year to start using the heated seat and grips. I have heated gear so it’s not totally necessary to have the heated gear working but I’m kinda anal about having everything working on all of my vehicles. My question is for those with heated equipment issues, how long did it take a dealer to trouble shoot the electrical? I don’t mind spending a few a bucks fixing the bike but don’t want to be paying several hours of trouble shooting costs.

Thanks

Spiff

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
How long is a piece of string?

If its a fuse or relay - 10 minutes or so.

Broken wire..well.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The most common issue is a break in the continuity of the wiring for the left hand grip.

There is a fairly easy troubleshooting step you can do. Both the hand grip heaters and seat heaters must work, or both will be shut down by the controller.

You can test this by turning off both the hand grip heat and seat heat and then turning the bike off (to reset the controller).

Turn the bike on and test the seat heat only. If it works, the problem is in the grips. If the seat heat doesn't work, then do the same test but the other way around.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The most common issue is a break in the continuity of the wiring for the left hand grip.
That is interesting. You would think that the right hand grip would have the most issues with a broken wire since it is moved much more frequently than the left hand grip.

Is there a specific part of the left hand grip wiring that is particularly prone to failure?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm not sure why the left goes more frequently, but I think it has to do with the stress put on it when lifting the bike onto the center stand.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For today's dumb question,,,,,,,

When the heated seat and grips are working properly, I'm assuming you can definitely tell thru the riding gear?

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
When the heated seat and grips are working properly, I'm assuming you can definitely tell thru the riding gear?
Grips do take a bit if you have think(er) gloves on. Heated seat? Eventually you'll feel it. Depends on how cold it is.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The heat is definitely noticeable when I have my Olympia winter gloves on. It kept my hands comfortable in 40 degree temperatures recently.

As to the seat, feels good with with my Levis on. Haven't tried it with riding pants yet.

Reactions: Spiff

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
For today's dumb question,,,,,,,

Probably.

Or you can put it in the C/Stand and run it until the fans come on, with both the grips and seat turned on,

you should be able to feel warmth when you touch it with your hand, I can.

Reactions: Spiff

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
That is interesting. You would think that the right hand grip would have the most issues with a broken wire since it is moved much more frequently than the left hand grip.

Is there a specific part of the left hand grip wiring that is particularly prone to failure?

IMHO, the throttle side heated grip is attached solidly to the throttle sleeve so even though the throttle gets twisted a lot more, since it's the throttle sleeve that actually rotates, no real stress is put on the right heated grip. On the left side heated grip, it is attached directly to the metal handlebar. Any twisting or stress will impact the left grip a lot more such as when you grab the grip and passenger rail while getting bike onto the center stand. This repeated stress can cause breaks in the heated element which leads to failure.

·
Registered
984 Posts
IMHO, the throttle side heated grip is attached solidly to the throttle sleeve so even though the throttle gets twisted a lot more, since it's the throttle sleeve that actually rotates, no real stress is put on the right heated grip. On the left side heated grip, it is attached directly to the metal handlebar. Any twisting or stress will impact the left grip a lot more such as when you grab the grip and passenger rail while getting bike onto the center stand. This repeated stress can cause breaks in the heated element which leads to failure.
So it is the heated element that fails? I guess my error is in believing that the connecting wire to heated element was the weak link.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Spiff, did you so happen to remove your stock seat and forget to plug the wires back in during the re-installation? If the seat is not plugged in, the heated grip and seat will not work.
Kenny

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi GL470,

I never had the seat off but the bike is new to me. I've had less than 2 months. It seemed like it was working when I bought it. It was in the 90s when I bought it so I wasn't really sure if if was working. It's getting chilly now so I'll be trying to do some trouble shooting tomorrow. It also has the Kury iso clam shells abs I always wear gear so it may be working but if getting thru the layers.

Spiff, did you so happen to remove your stock seat and forget to plug the wires back in during the re-installation? If the seat is not plugged in, the heated grip and seat will not work.
Kenny

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hi GL470,

I never had the seat off but the bike is new to me. I've had less than 2 months. It seemed like it was working when I bought it. It was in the 90s when I bought it so I wasn't really sure if if was working. It's getting chilly now so I'll be trying to do some trouble shooting tomorrow. It also has the Kury iso clam shells abs I always wear gear so it may be working but if getting thru the layers.

If it was in the 90's, the seat would not have been able to heat up but the grips would have...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
With ISO grips depending on temp they will take about 15 to 30 min to feel the heat in them while riding, especially with gloves on , the better the gloves the less heat will get to you, brilliant!!!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts