GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, getting ready to take the wing plunge! I am debating on a 08 audio or 09 audio/comfort. The Boss likes the idea of heated seats! Prices I am seeing are about 1500.00 difference. Anyone with 09 comfort knowledge out there? I have seen the deals from Ralph but do not want to fly to the frozen north and drive 1000 miles home in cold and snow.
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Hey folks, getting ready to take the wing plunge! I am debating on a 08 audio or 09 audio/comfort. The Boss likes the idea of heated seats! Prices I am seeing are about 1500.00 difference. Anyone with 09 comfort knowledge out there? I have seen the deals from Ralph but do not want to fly to the frozen north and drive 1000 miles home in cold and snow.
I have the comfort package on the '09.

I absolutely LOVE the heated seats and grips. My wife loves the heated passenger seat and backrest. It really does make a big difference for us. It takes about 5-10 minutes before I start to feel the warmth up through the seat (when sitting on it). Very nice!

For the extra $1500, the '09 also includes tire pressure monitoring that the '08 does not include.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
it's easy and cheap to add heated grips to the '08 bike (EC heated grips are < $65). By design, the heated seat will really only work in pretty cool temps. There are companies that offer after market seats with heating. Neither are necessary for FL weather. If you're planning to do a lot of touring up north then grips might be nice, but don't need to spend $1500 to get them.

The '09 tire pressure monitoring system is a valuable addition, but I haven't yet heard how well it functions. Nevertheless, here too there are after market options.

Bottom line, it's not like ABS or airbag. All the features of the comfort package can be relatively cheaply added if they're really needed. I certainly wouldn't pay that kind of money for them.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
You may want to check here and see what shipping the bike to your home would be. This is a first rate company with very good prices. The bike is FULLY insured while it is being transported.

www.eagleoneexpress.com

You may even find a better deal from Hal (board sponsor) on here. Just a thought.

Ride Safe

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts

buy the 08 and add a custom seat for about $1000 with heat, one that fits you perfectly

i think you can do better than $1500 less for the same 08 as compared to an 09

keep looking

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
it's easy and cheap to add heated grips to the '08 bike (EC heated grips are < $65). By design, the heated seat will really only work in pretty cool temps. There are companies that offer after market seats with heating. Neither are necessary for FL weather. If you're planning to do a lot of touring up north then grips might be nice, but don't need to spend $1500 to get them.

The '09 tire pressure monitoring system is a valuable addition, but I haven't yet heard how well it functions. Nevertheless, here too there are after market options.

Bottom line, it's not like ABS or airbag. All the features of the comfort package can be relatively cheaply added if they're really needed. I certainly wouldn't pay that kind of money for them.
Fred's gotta a good point about your climate. I'm here in northern VA and it can get a bit chilly during the winter.

When I picked up my '09 Wing last October, the temp was 50F that evening. About 10 minutes down the road, my butt started to get warm and when I looked down, the heated seat was on setting '3'. I hadn't realized until then that it was on. It felt very nice and helped keep the chill off especially going over Mount Weather. And that is with me wearing jeans and my Olympia airglide pants (with the liners installed).

I can't speak to its "worth" to you. My wife and I thoroughly enjoy having the heated seats and grips even with our heated gear on. I don't even need the grips until it gets in the 40s. But since I have them and the seat, I use them all the time in the winter and will in the cool spring and fall mornings. They do make things more comfortable and pleasant but then again, I'm a bit further north than you. ;)

I'm unaware of any cheap or easy aftermarket heated seat options for the GL1800 like there are grips.

An additional thought on the TPMS.
I had the TPMS come on for me once. The temps had dropped quite a bit from the previous day when I had aired up the tires. When I started rolling, the TPMS light started flashing. When I checked the pressure it was about 32psi. I aired the tires back up and the TPMS light stayed off. Pretty cool. I think that's also a nice feature but again as to its worth to you, well, that's your call. :doorag:

You can't really go wrong with either and Hal has some amazing prices on the '08s.:yes1: And I'm a bit suprised the difference is only $1500. I bet you could do MUCH better on an '08 than that.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Look at Lake Hill Motors. LOW prices, and just a long day's drive from you.

http://www.yamahadiscountprices.com/hondaonroad.htm

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I would purchase the 2009. Not just for the heated seats, but each year bike has subtle differences that always seem to make them better.

There is no real answer to your question about the heated seats. It all depends on you. What you wear when you ride, such as like myself, I will suit up like getting ready for war, and the heat from the seat really never gets through heavy armored riding pants.

All the same my wife will not wear riding pants, so she does like the heated seat.

As for staying warm on a motorcycle in cold weather, on an extended ride, the only real thing I have ever found that actually keeps you warm, is simply heated clothing. That for sure works and is a whole lot cheaper than $1500.00.

Just the same, I think the 09 is the better bike.

Kit

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
IMHO get the 2009 model................worth the extra $$

I bought an '09 ABS on Nov 1st (sold my '01)...........I was on the fence about purchasing an '08 back in September and decided to wait to see the '09's. I'm very glad I waited.........I would of been disappointed with an '08 when comparing the two.

Vastly improved NT based GPS system......IMHO much better than previous versions
XM Radio
Integrated XM weather
Integrated XM traffic
TPMS system with metal valve stems
Accurate speedo
Cruise control lag fixed
Alternator whine fixed (at least never heard anyone with an '09 say they have the issue the last few years have had)
Headlights perfectly aimed even
Saddlebags/trunk latches much more robust (this may have been improved on prior years)
Higher capacity battery (20AH)
?? probably other minor fixes/upgrades yet to be discovered
Better color - Candy Black Cherry :wink:

I'm glad I waited for an '09.............but the choice is yours and only you need to be happy about what you decide.
Good luck on whatever you choose.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I used to buy cheap and add after market stuff but will not anymore after having a bike with the factory stuff it works so much better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
08 or 09

I've been going through the same thing for the last several months, and really thought I was going for the 09, but finally decided to go for the 08. I just cant see paying that extra money for the heated seats and grips.
If it gets that cold, I don't think that I'll be out riding, and I sure know that my wife wont go if it's so cold that I cant get on the seat unless a heater is on.
The only difference that I found between the two year models is going to be the colors that they come in, and I really liked the red in the 08 model.
Good luck, and you know you'll be happy with either one you decide on.

ValleyRider
;)

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I'd go with the '09.... I'd recommend also getting ABS. Get all the factory whistles and bells... yea, expensive, but the bike is set with all the stuff from day one that you'll probably be glad you have at some point.

In general, all you need to consider adding to the bike is a Utopia backrest and some highway pegs to make it as comfortable as most people ride it. A little back support and a different place to rest your feet makes a big difference on long rides. Then you have several years to try other things for it....

Do this and the only thing you will regret is not enough time to ride it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Go for the '09, I live in South Florida and have used the heat many times, its nice to take the chill off on those 2 cold (Ok cool, I know its not really cold here) mornings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.