GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a bad driveshaft on my 08, and replaced it and the final drive with a set from a 2010 trike takeoff...I've noticed since the swap my tire that used to not touch the ground while on the centerstand now does...and we're talking about a very short tire (dunlop 175 c/t), so this concerns me...I tossed the old drive before I found this out, so I can't measure it for comparison; has anyone made a similar swap and noticed a difference like this? Does the 2010 final drive make the bike taller, or is there something wrong that I've just missed? The bike rides fine by my own observation, but could be a problem waiting to happen...

What say you?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
So I had a bad driveshaft on my 08, and replaced it and the final drive with a set from a 2010 trike takeoff...I've noticed since the swap my tire that used to not touch the ground while on the centerstand now does...and we're talking about a very short tire (dunlop 175 c/t), so this concerns me...I tossed the old drive before I found this out, so I can't measure it for comparison; has anyone made a similar swap and noticed a difference like this? Does the 2010 final drive make the bike taller, or is there something wrong that I've just missed? The bike rides fine by my own observation, but could be a problem waiting to happen...

What say you?
08 - 10 are the same shaft.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I don't see how they could be different where it would cause a height difference. The case that houses the gears has the same part numbers.

CASE SUB-ASSY.
41311-MCA-A21

CASE SUB-ASSY.
41311-MCA-A21

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a 10 take off on my 03 no problem after doing some comparing and measuring just to make sure no differences. Just had to tap the hole for the brake hoses stay bracket bolt.

This is probably a really dumb question, but is the diff housing pulled up flush to the swingarm? No gap at the top? I did have to clean some light corrosion crud out of my swing arm holes where the 2 stud collars fit in. Even then I had to wiggle the drive some with a few love taps from a dead blow to get it slide home flush all the way around.

Probably even a dumber question is if you removed the lower shock bolt, you did put it back in?

Sorry but that's all I can think of...
Lower shock bolt not removed, just the bolts for caliper and the 4 bolts for the final drive...will check for gap, but I'm nearly positive that is not it...will assess it tomorrow and post back.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Really dumb question. By chance have you checked your setting for preload? If it is set at 25 your tire will be much closer to the ground. You may also want to go through Fred Harmons refill procedure of the preload system.
Try cycling the preload from 0 to 25 a couple of times and see if that cures it.
RogerB

·
Registered
883 Posts
Really dumb question. By chance have you checked your setting for preload? If it is set at 25 your tire will be much closer to the ground. You may also want to go through Fred Harmons refill procedure of the preload system.
Try cycling the preload from 0 to 25 a couple of times and see if that cures it.
RogerB
Changing the preload setting has no effect on the rear tire distance from the ground when on the center stand - the rear shock is fully extended over the 0-25 range.

Ron Fuller

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
...and we're talking about a very short tire (dunlop 175 c/t), What say you?
there should be no difference ... so ...

some random thoughts..

.. I don't consider the 175 dunnie a VERY short tire.
.. yes, it's a bit shorter
(less than a quarter inch smaller in diameter than the OEM tire)

any chance the center stand is in a low spot
where you have the bike parked?
.. doesn't take much and that would do it.

did you make any changes in the front end to make it higher?
(new springs, lowerd fork tube in tree, new oil etc)

way too much weight in the bags can cause the bike
to rock back on the rear tire...
is the bike empty or full?

Dennis

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there should be no difference ... so ...

some random thoughts..

.. I don't consider the 175 dunnie a VERY short tire.
.. yes, it's a bit shorter
(less than a quarter inch smaller in diameter than the OEM tire)

any chance the center stand is in a low spot
where you have the bike parked?
.. doesn't take much and that would do it.

did you make any changes in the front end to make it higher?
(new springs, lowerd fork tube in tree, new oil etc)

way too much weight in the bags can cause the bike
to rock back on the rear tire...
is the bike empty or full?

Dennis
To my knowledge, the 175 is the shortest tire that people consistently mount on the wing---only mentioned it to rule out tire height

Ground isn't the issue---same places where old setup was off ground, this setup isn't.

No changes in front, no extra weight in rear...also just occurred to me the fitment of the drive isn't a problem, or I would be spilling gear oil, no?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm leaning towards a sticking adv...went out this morning, and the tire was off the ground when put on the centerstand in the same place it wasn't yesterday, no other changes besides a 100mi ride out to my folks house...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well you might be onto something there. However, when the bike is up on the center, the fork is about fully extended anyway. I just tested this on mine by marking a fork tube with a piece of masking then jacked under the frt of the engine to lift the front wheel just off the ground. Maybe another 1/8" or so, nothing significant... Same goes for the rear shock. It's totally extended when the bike is on the center and spring preload wouldn't have any affect on that.

Besides you'd probably more notice a stuck anti-dive from a rough ride than anything else because it locks the travel of the left fork slider when braking. If anything I think the fork might get "stuck" in a "weighted" position and that would just increase the amount of rear tire clearance to the ground on the center.

In any event you seem to be back to normal now for whatever reason so check it out and keep an eye on it. About the only reason I can think it may have happened in the first place is if the rear shock is damaged internally, somehow over-extending and allowing the rear wheel to drop more when on the center? I've never heard of this though and not sure if it could even happen?? But if so it might have stretched out while you were working on changing out the drive. I'd be more suspect of the rear shock condition than anything else at this point. Sure as heck can't be a broken upper frame mount for the shock because I'm sure you'd know it if there was that type of problem! And I never heard about them breaking off either although anything's possible I suppose.

You're 08 is pretty new but I don't know it's history, mileage, or what it's been through in it's use so far relative to a "damaged" rear shock?
My 08 has 82k miles, and the shock (traxxion) has approximately 25k miles on it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'd think the shock should be good but tell you what. Check and make sure the drive is installed properly like we first discussed just to rule that completely out. Then put the bike up on the center and check if the "normal" tire to ground clearance is present. If so see if you can gently pry or push down on the tire/drive/swingarm with enough effort to see if it drops down again? You'll be trying to replicate the original concern. If it does, I'd say the problem is with the shock, or perhaps the upper mount or maybe even the lower suspension linkage. I only say this because I did remove the lower shock bolt when I changed out my rear drive to make it easier to replace and I know the swingarm will drop down some when the shock is disconnected.

Otherwise I guess I bump to anybody else's ideas??
I'll check tomorrow---but I didn't pull the shock bolt as I was able to get to everything easily with the lift...of course I pulled the mufflers to make getting to the bolts easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts